Gas Price Talk Radio

WOW!! Been $2.69 for a couple of weeks now in my neck of the woods. And that's the cheap stuff.

How about some DR. HOOK. Takes me back to the school daze. Er, I mean days

• Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow, Michigan is relatively low compared to Pat and Jsky's area...$2.55 today. But I better fill up tomorrow before the weekend gouging.

Dr. Hook!! :):) I'll follow you, Jsky, with some Steely Dan. :)

Liz

$20 to fill your tank, Pat? Jeesch last time I filled up it was over $50 for mine. Blim??? how's come you're cheaper up there? It's been $2.65 here all week. Damn robbers. It'd been costing sweet Brit $5 a day to get to and from work..

$20 to fill your tank, Pat? Jeesch last time I filled up it was over $50 for mine. Blim??? how's come you're cheaper up there? It's been $2.65 here all week. Damn robbers. It'd been costing sweet Brit $5 a day to get to and from work..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

my friend filled up her tanks and cost her $110...... she have Ford F-150, it huge

I said it was a Subaru (1990) Justy with a small 9 gallon tank. And hubby said it needed almost 8 gallons. Luckily it get's very good mileage, about 35 mpg, since he drives about 60 miles roundtrip back and forth to work.

I sure hope the car keeps on working ok, in spite of it's various problems which aren't worth the tons of money needed to fix them.

I wonder how this economy is going to survive with the high cost of fuel increasing the cost of products in every area pretty soon? As if it didn't already have enough trouble with fed tightning money supply.

Pat.

God bless everyone.

Tired of high gas prices?

Unlimited free gas is just an e-mail away

I am offering Gas Credit Cards for sale at the low, low, low price of just 29.95.

Contact [email protected]

(Consist of a 5 gallon gas can, and a 6 ft. pc. of garden hose.)

"carjackers need not apply"

Edited by JSKY
Oohh man. I feel your pain. Not only for the gas but the 2-3 extra hours you spend on the road.. Sure cuts into your paycheck if you figure the travelling is like being at work.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

AMEN! Things should improve soon. A lot of hiring takes place during OCT-DEC due to the federal budget. All I have to do is hold out.

BH

IT'S A WEEKEND IN TOURIST TOWN!!!! Yesterday it was $2.52, thankfully had the sense to fill the tank..Today it is $2.70.

Brian, you might want to consider a Saturn. We had one and I've never seen a car get such good gas mileage!! Cheaper than the imports, too, both cost of car and cost of repairs (if you're not a do-it-yourselfer). ;) Although the imports are supposed to last longer...toss up!!

Liz

Bleh. The domestics are imports and the imports are built here. My ole Plymouth Voyager has a Mitsubishi 2.6 L engine. The door handles on Toyotas and Geo's are the same. When under the hood you never know if you need metric or SAE wrenches.

Buy a car that has high sales and production and the replacement parts are cheaper. Buy a smaller car and the milage will be good. Watch out for the "low-profile" tires and rims... They are expensive to replace.

Someone ought to build a familymans car... you know, basic without all the bells and whistles.(Model T?) Give me 4 wheels, a radio, wipers and heater... All the (used to be) extra options that are now standard cost a ton to repair and add big money to the price. ABS? 4 figures when something goes wrong. Power windows? Minimum 1 hour labor plus parts. Fuel injection? One goes bad and it can cost you an engine. All sorts of computer chips that even the dealer can't troubleshoot sometimes.

And, dare I say it? Planned obsolescence. Parts built to fail at a certain time to increase the repair and parts shops bottom line. [/rant]

Bleh. The domestics are imports and the imports are built here. My ole Plymouth Voyager has a Mitsubishi 2.6 L engine. The door handles on Toyotas and Geo's are the same. When under the hood you never know if you need metric or SAE wrenches.

Buy a car that has high sales and production and the replacement parts are cheaper. Buy a smaller car and the milage will be good. Watch out for the "low-profile" tires and rims... They are expensive to replace.

Someone ought to build a familymans car... you know, basic without all the bells and whistles.(Model T?) Give me 4 wheels, a radio, wipers and heater...  All the (used to be) extra options that are now standard cost a ton to repair and add big money to the price. ABS? 4 figures when something goes wrong. Power windows? Minimum 1 hour labor plus parts. Fuel injection? One goes bad and it can cost you an engine. All sorts of computer chips that even the dealer can't troubleshoot sometimes.

And, dare I say it? Planned obsolescence. Parts built to fail at a certain time to increase the repair and parts shops bottom line. [/rant]

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

like i've stated before, if you think you know who makes the car then you don't know. the days of simple stripped down cars here are gone. and it's not just cars that have tons of extras that make repair costs so high. these newer cars are just not designed to be worked on simply. you have to practically be a computer tech to trouble shoot problems. also it may feel like parts are meant to break after a certain time but it's just low quality parts and design. the biggest disadvantage of working on a compact design is that you very often have to pull apart several things just to replace a single part. so up goes the labor time and cost. also since you have to deal with so many sensors and a computer scanner just to trouble shoot some people have to actually go to school and spend more money just to turn wrenches for a living so of course repair cost goes up. why just listen to the lifter hitting when you can spend twice as long and charge computer scanning and labor costs instead.

Well, I didn't go to town today, but the kids reported gas was at $2.99 gallon. The prediction of 3 bucks before Labor Day came true..... :(

Our Canadians, how are you faring???? Your prices haven't gone up as dramatically as ours have, but yours have been real high for a long time. Did you get a big jump?

Liz

Here in the city I'm in Liz...it's went down 1cent at the station just down the street from me. Was 4.77 gallon and now is at 4.72 gallon. **sigh**

I dropped over 80.00$ in 1/2 ton today... <_<

I heard some talk of 1.12/litre...5.04/gallon jump could come. I'm not sure of this so this could be a rumour going around. (coffee row talk)

But hey...who knows. :lol:

Here in the city I'm in Liz...it's went down 1cent at the station just down the street from me. Was 4.77 gallon and now is at 4.72 gallon. **sigh**

I dropped over 80.00$ in 1/2 ton today... <_<

I heard some talk of 1.12/litre...5.04/gallon jump could come. I'm not sure of this so this could be a rumour going around. (coffee row talk)

But hey...who knows.  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The news predicted average prices over $3 by Monday, so GAS UP NOW!

The Hurricane is blamed for the surge. Coffee is expected to go up also, due to the flooding in New Orleans.

BH

I have a feeling that by the middle of next month, everything is going to skyrocket. I'm glad I have wood heat. Expext the price of heating to go up also this winter.

I feel sorry for the elderly, To eat or stay warm .

Scattershot thoughts on the subject at hand:

I can't contribute to 'what price do you pay' because I never look.

Local prices never vary enough to make a trip to another station to save a few cents worth the cost of my time and the gasoline necessary to make the trip.

I'm financially strapped so I've pared down travel to the minimum anyway.

If prices doubled I still wouldn't look, I have to buy a certain volume no matter the cost.

I've always driven to obtain the best fuel mileage, even when I had a Mustang Cobra I can honestly say in ten years of ownership I 'floored' it less than ten times, because I'm somewhat of a miser when it comes to essentials so I have more money to splurge on toys. I've gotten used to other cars pulling away from me at stoplights, I just catch 'em at the next light.

Comparing gas prices without taking taxes or inflation into account is pointless; U.S. prices are relatively low but so are our taxes compared to other countries (the raw fuel cost, sans taxes, is similar), per gallon prices appear high but are only a few percent higher that in the past when you take inflation into account (would most of you go back to what you earned when gas was under a fifty cents a gallon? Everything else would still cost more, you probably couldn't afford to live on that).

The gas 'shortage' a while back was almost entirely created by government meddling. Price controls meant less incentive to provide gas which lead to less gas which lead to lines at the station. Right now we have the same global situation but NO government meddling and you can get all the gas you can afford, no waiting necessary. Which situation is better; Higher prices, or no gas?

Everybody complains we rely too much on foreign oil but nobody wants a refinery in their back yard.

Cars owned and mileage (lows are winter driving, highs are highway driving); Opel Manta: 20-30 mpg (German equivalent of a Cavalier, though of higher quality), Mustang Cobra: 17-28 mpg (most beautiful car I've ever seen), Jeep Cherokee: 16-27 mpg (first 4x4 bought for winter work commute, loved it), Dodge Spirit: 18-28 mpg (Jeep totaled, cheapest car available that wasn't rusted out), Ford Explorer: 14-19 mpg (embarrased that I now own a guzzler, but I'm happy to be back in a 4x4 and this is one fine truck).

Recent column about gasoline prices:

Walter E. Williams - Gasoline Prices

Edited by JDoors