Gas Price Talk Radio

• Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry I don't pay much attention to how much the cheap stuff is but Premium 93 Octane is usually around $4.04-$4.19 depending on what part of town you go to.

My parents sure are happy they have a car with better fuel mileage now but the down side is obviously the car payment. They got rid of their fuel guzzling 03 PT Cruiser (with an average of 22MPG) and got an 08 Honda Civic EX Coupe. Once breaking the motor in (they bought it with 9 miles on the odo) it should average about the same as mine (slightly more efficient engine and transmission but weighs more and has P/S and functional A/C which they use) if not just a tad more.

Mmmm. Still $3.89 a gallon for the cheap stuff. But I'm sure it will cross the $4.00 mark real soon. Filled up both outfits and now i'm going to make me one of them 6ft gas credit hoses....... er..... I mean cards.......:rolleyes:

And I see that the electric companies are feeling left out. CNN News said to expect a 150% increase in electric rates by Fall. :wacko:

Mmmm. Still $3.89 a gallon for the cheap stuff. But I'm sure it will cross the $4.00 mark real soon. Filled up both outfits and now i'm going to make me one of them 6ft gas credit hoses....... er..... I mean cards.......:rolleyes:

And I see that the electric companies are feeling left out. CNN News said to expect a 150% increase in electric rates by Fall. :wacko:

Betty knows the answer to the gas crisis!

... one of them 6ft gas credit hoses...

:unsure:

<rummages around 'cause I know I have one around here somewhere>

So now the Saudis say, "Since we're BFFs we wanna talk about doing something about your high gas prices!" Ain't they great?

Forgot to mention something the Saudi rep said that caught my eye, something to the effect of, "Since there is no valid reason for higher prices we ... " Uh-hem, no "valid" reason? What do they mean by that, huh?

-----

Edited by JDoors

An English company, National Grid, bought out our area electric company a few years back. We've been getting screwed royally on electric rates ever since. We refer to them as National Greed. I can remember the promise that when our previous electric company, Niagara Mohawk, was building the nuclear reactors that the energy would be cheap. Three reactors later and we pay some of the highest electric rates in the Northeast.

Of course our gasoline is high due to the excessive taxes placed upon it by the state. In NY if it isn't taxed there is a user fee that they don't consider a tax. Yeah, right!

Yeah, there's nothing more vaporous than "consumer savings" when your electricity source changes hands. Essentially it's due to a company wanting better returns in the stock market: The old way doesn't lend itself to "spectacular" returns so they're all looking for ways to get a higher return. We wind up paying for it.

Regarding Big Oil:

... oil companies pay far more dollars in taxes each year than they earn in profits. And that the oil industry's average net profit margin -- 8.3 percent last year -- is lower than Big Tobacco and Big Beverage (19.1 percent), Big Pharma (18.4 percent) and Big Banking, Big Insurance and Big Media. ...

* U.S. companies, while huge, are actually relatively small players in a gigantic global oil market. They can compete directly for only 7 percent of available reserves while large government-owned companies like Petroleos de Venezuela own and control 75 percent of world supply.

* As Stephen Simon of ExxonMobil humbly pointed out, his hated behemoth -- America's largest oil and gas corporation -- accounts for only 3 percent of global oil production and 6 percent of global refining capacity. It has only 1 percent of global petroleum reserves - 14th in the world. ...

But of course, Exxon/Mobil is evil, right? :wacko:

-----

-----

Oh yeah, and like any "statistics" you have to pay close attention to EXACTLY what they're saying. For example, the Exxon/Mobil spokesman says they account for only three percent of "global" production and six percent of "global" refining capacity. Is that so? And what percentages is Exxon/Mobil responsible for RIGHT HERE IN THE USA? They don't say, but I bet it's more than three and six percent. So what's their point? That they have very little global presence? That they're weak overseas? Or do those percentages hold true to "domestic" production and refining capacity? So are they or are they not responsible for much of the problem in the USA? (I could look it up but that's not my point, just take what they say with a grain of salt -- or a barrel of oil.)

Edited by JDoors

Filled up with Shell V-Power 93 today. $4.21 a gallon I think and got $33. Had to prepay cause my Debit Card had to be hot carded. But still if everything worked out right, I pulled off a wonderful 32.18 MPG on the last tank. Awesome.

Oh and I do find Exxon evil. My car ran like crap after puttin that mess in my tank. Though I use Mobil 1 full synthetic oil.

Edited by Honda_Boy

I used Mobil1 exclusively in my pickup -- the timing chain wore out. It had well over 100,000 miles on it at the time, but I thought that wasn't supposed to happen. So I'm not really a big fan any more. I just change the oil more often than I used to instead.

Paid $4.09 per today. Sadly, I got <16 mpg from the previous tank. Guess I'm just gonna hafta move over to the right lane and act my age. :rolleyes:

Or buy a Civic. Drive like an idiot and still get over 26MPG.

Spend ten thousand dollars to save a few hundred? Spend even more for a rack to carry my bike instead of just throwing it in the back? Risk getting stuck in blizzards and floods? Buy Japanese, like the lawnmower I absolutely loathe? I'm disappointed with my mileage, not crazy.

Or buy a Civic. Drive like an idiot and still get over 26MPG.

Spend ten thousand dollars to save a few hundred? Spend even more for a rack to carry my bike instead of just throwing it in the back? Risk getting stuck in blizzards and floods? Buy Japanese, like the lawnmower I absolutely loathe? I'm disappointed with my mileage, not crazy.

Yeah, here in Texas where it is near a hundred from Mid may through October ; you get these fools who buy hybrids only to find that the Air Conditioner cuts out when the engine does and that to have air conditioning they have to put it in the towing mode or whatever which keeps the engine running and hence other than regenerative braking defeats the whole idea of a hybrid.

I just wish they would get rid of this ethanol bs so that I could get the extra 20% mileage.

Hybrids are a complete waste of money for a myriad of reasons, but I said buy a Civic. I didn't say a new one. Mine's 12 years old with a 9 year old motor. Find ya an old 93-98 or so Civic with a D16Z6, D16Y7, or D16Y8. 30+ MPG in the city if you drive em right. My old coupe with the Z6 would pull off 35 in the city on a good day. Or you could find an old 92-95 VX Hatch with the VTEC-E motor that pulls off nearly 50MPG or a 96-00 HX Coupe that pulls off 40+MPG.

$ 4.599/gallon for low test

No way! You live in New York or somethin'?

Glad I filled up at $4.09. (Boy, never thought I'd be "glad" I bought gas at just over four dollars.)

He's in California. They are just slightly higher than we are when it comes to taxation on fuel.

I was robbed of $135 to fill my GMC, 32 gallon tank, yesterday. I still average 18 m.p.g. with it loaded or unloaded. As for the new Ford truck, it stays parked with it only getting 13 m.p.g. average.

• 2 weeks later...
You guys and your "cheap" gas!

I filled up a few days ago at $4.18 so naturally, now that my tank is full, it has since "dropped" to $4.07.

A week ago I caught a gas war between Quick Trip and Race Track, $3.69 for regular $3.99 for Premium.

This week it was up to $3.84 and $4.16 . Still lower than average.

Still P.Oed that the station which was selling ethanol free gas has switched over .

I wonder how many miles per gallon our "new" delivery truck pulls off. We got a new owner (actually a friend of ours that owns a lawnmower store next door) and we use the company truck to deliver in now. It's 96-98 (I think) Chevy Cheyenne 2500 Auto. Not sure if it's the 5.0 or 5.7 (I think it's the 5.7). I'm pretty sure it gets worse than our previous owner's company truck but it ain't anywhere NEAR as weak and can actually climb a hill with A/C on. The old POS was an 02 Mazda B2300.

Sometimes the thing ain't on hand and they insist on using either of the Jeep Cherokees 2 coworkers own. They fail to realize my infinitely more fuel efficient Civic Hatchback has PLENTY of room to do most deliveries we do (that and both of them are the manager/assistant manager and need to stick around).