Domainname Problem

I am writing this question to help a friend with his gentoo systems. i think I have all of the correct information. One day portage quit working on both of his gentoo systems, which are on two seperate computers. It seems the faliure happens when portage trys to download a file, it fails at resolving the host. Wget also fails when using a hostname. He is able to use wget and portage if he uses an ip address(not a hostname) in his make.conf or when using wget with an ip address(not hostname). He is able to surf the web with both links and firefox. He is also able to download programs using links and firefox. If it matters he is using quest DSL. What would cause this sudden lack of being able to use domainnames?

edit added later///

he said he is able to ping a domainname

edit added///

he said now he can only get to web sights using as ip address while using linux. He is still able to surf the web using domainnames with windows.

Edited by shanenin

what is in /etc/resolv.conf

also what does /etc/nsswitch.conf look like

at /etc/nsswitch.conf

here is mine

# /etc/nsswitch.conf:
# $Header: /home/cvsroot/gentoo-src/rc-scripts/etc/nsswitch.conf,v 1.4 2002/11/18 19:39:22 azarah Exp $

passwd:      compat
shadow:      compat
group:       compat

# passwd:    db files nis
# shadow:    db files nis
# group:     db files nis

hosts:       files dns
networks:    files dns

services:    db files
protocols:   db files
rpc:         db files
ethers:      db files
netmasks:    files
netgroup:    files
bootparams:  files

automount:   files
aliases:     files

what firewall (or internet router)

what company is the DSL..

mine stoped working the ohter day, I had to call verizon.. after gettingth emanager on the phone, they found they had to add me to a ACL they had lost. thir router was blocking me as I was not in the access control list

I will see if I can get you some more info. The fact that it started on all of his computers at the same time leads me to believe it is a problem with QUEST DSL

edit added later///

he is going to start things off by contacting his provider quest. Hopefully they can sort it out.

Edited by shanenin