Transferring files over a network..

I've got both pc's plugged into router, and the new one says it can find the network, but when I try to connect, it fails. I really don't want to do this using a flash drive, it would take days.

Any ideas? I am totally new to 7, so I might be missing something.

TIA!

I've got both pc's plugged into router, and the new one says it can find the network, but when I try to connect, it fails. I really don't want to do this using a flash drive, it would take days.

TIA!

On your Windows 7 computer, click the Start button at the bottom left of the screen, then go to the Control Panel and choose Network and Sharing Center. Click the link under "view your active networks" (if you've set up a Homegroup,the link should say "home network").

In the next window choose "Work network" that will switch you from a homegroup to a workgroup so your two computers can talk to each other. Before you can network the computers, you must assign the same workgroup name to both of them and SHARE folders in Explorer.

TIA!

On your Windows 7 computer, click the Start button at the bottom left of the screen, then go to the Control Panel and choose Network and Sharing Center. Click the link under "view your active networks" (if you've set up a Homegroup,the link should say "home network").

In the next window choose "Work network" that will switch you from a homegroup to a workgroup so your two computers can talk to each other. Before you can network the computers, you must assign the same workgroup name to both of them and SHARE folders in Explorer.

Thank you Rhema, I will try that. I kinda got frustrated and disconnected the old pc, so I have to hook it back up. Will do that tomorrow.