I need a little help...

Hiya all you BTers! As an inaugural member, I know someone out here can give me a hand with our company logo.

A very long time ago, Crow made us a banner graphic for our website. njustice worked on it a bit too. Our problem is the size. We have an opportunity for a large billboard type sign, with an 80k amount of traffic daily right near our shop.

Unfortunately, the JPG I have will not blow up to the size we need. As I understand it, it really can't be refined, or expanded as it is. So I need someone with PhotoShop know how to create another one, much larger.

It's the flag on this sign...

PICT0063.jpg

I'm at the shop, so I don't have the JPG on this machine, respond and I will add it later.

Thanks, in advance....

Have you tried converting to a vector graphic format like PNG and scaling it up?

Or print out a copy at the highest definition you have, then scan with the best scanner you have on its highest scan setting (interpolative setting ) and save as a tiff or bmp .

Likewise, make a vector graphic version and scale that up if needed.

:wacko: Heh, heh... I'm so PS stoopid I don't even catch half of what you said.

All I know is it becomes too pixilated(sp?) when enlarged, even on that sign. I had to paint over the printed vinyl for clarity.

I don't have PhotoShop, don't know how to make use of it, and really don't have the need or time to learn right now.

The sign shop said they could do it, but it's VERY expensive.

I can try the scan and save in a different format. We have a pretty good film/slide scanner.

Did you ever make those galumpkis?

Oh! Hi Mandy!

Since I know very little...( nothing?) All I can say is 1000x600 pixelates at 20" x 29" almost too badly to print. I changed the dimensions in publisher from the "banner" to something more square. The sign will have the flag sized at about 2' x 3'.

billboard.jpg

From what I understand, it needs to be saved in something other than JPG, because of the compression. (jeesch, am I sounding real stoopid here?)

I can e-mail a couple of my images if you like.

I doesn't need to exactly like the one that Crow did, but we really like the way he added the Brit ensign to look like patches.

Thanks so very much for your patience. :wub:

Edited by bozodog

Some good reading on what resolution you need

http://www.photokaboom.com/photography/learn/printing/resolution/1_which_resolution_print_size_viewing_distance.htm

Raster graphics are based on arrays of pixels , but vector graphics are designed to be scalable with minimum pixilation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_graphics

Instead of dealing with pixels, it deals with geometric primitives (lines, curves, polygons...) which can be scaled and filled.

But I am not an artist.

Perhaps the easiest technique is for someone with skill to just start from scratch with a higher res image.

I think this is an example saved in a flash image

http://www.vectorstock.com/royalty-free-vector/38796-american-flag-vector

See how you can zoom in and it does not pixelate?

Good info there, Pete... I'm still gonna leave it to someone that understands it all. What I want to end up with is a graphic I can use for all of our print and sign advertising.

For instance, a flag on the door of our shop would need to be about 2' x2', but will be viewed close up by customers.

I would love to be able to do "PhotoShop magic", but I just don't have that much time, or need to learn it all... *sigh, maybe some day.

Edited by bozodog

I found this , which those into art may find interesting

http://inkscape.org/

http://speckyboy.com/2009/04/28/35-tutorials-to-create-amazing-vector-graphics-using-inkscape/

Inkscape is a free vector graphic design alternative software similar to Adobe Illustrator and CorelDraw, only it doesn’t cost you a penny. It is maybe not as powerful as its higher priced rivals, but certainly powerful enough to design high quality vector graphics.

If you are looking to venture into vector design, I recommend using Inkscape first, learn as much as you can and then if you need something with more kick splash out on Illustrator.

It looks very interesting. If I actually had artistic talent I would give it a try.

Real nice work mandy, saving as PNG was the right choice in my opinion. You can zoom way in with no distortion.

Real nice work Mandy, saving as PNG was the right choice in my opinion. You can zoom way in with no distortion.

Exactly, each and every time a J Peg is opened and closed there is a resolution loss, facts of life, every time viewing.

Just looking at one, with no modifications even, opening and closing a JPEG, sooner or later will haunt you...

TIFF is also good for saving the lifetime photos.

Nice 2.14MB without pix elating, stunning job.

Hi bozodog, I've been known to say, as long of one of us knows how, well beyond my learning curve also.

Tho a wicked wind storm we sent you , lost power/water for 34 hours, imagine that haha

Marsh

Edited by marsh_0x

Hi marsh.

Yeah I heard that your storm was equivalent to one of our weak hurricanes (cat I) , not much down here where we get 70MPH gust fronts in spring and fall thunderstorms ; but I be it was a real mess up in the north lands where the trees rarely have to withstand that abuse (of course we get the same kind of damage when we get heavy snow or ice storms).

34 hours, wow that is a while to do without power.

When the power goes out I am glad that I have a gas stove with pilot lights and old Dearborn gas heaters which likewise do not need electricity.

The city uses pressurized water tanks (and towers) so even if the power to the main water plants is out we still have a day or so reserve water (as long as no one is a fool and wastes it on lawns etc). So other than summer when lack of air conditioning makes it nearly unbearable the worst part of an extended outage is possible spoilage of stuff in the freezer / fridge but then I have gas so I could cook up a storm and feed the neighborhood; or just go buy up a bunch of ice (or visit a friend or relative with power still on) and fill up the ice chests.

Hi marsh.

Yeah I heard that your storm was equivalent to one of our weak hurricanes (cat I)

Hi Pete, such a rare occasion for us, not sure but definitely set a new record of some sort.

We are tree cutters, planting more than we harvest, why not drop the one's near overhead power lines escapes me.

UPS, 3 of them allowed me 4 hours of the internet to run the modems Hughes and Wild Blue total $168 monthly, imagine that.

WiFi routers and battery 2 laptops, Gary (IL_wiccan) taught me well with all the candles still on the kitchen counter were lit.

Gas range/stove kept me warm enough.

Hi bozodog, guess we failed the test to pass it on haha

Marsh

Heh, Marsh. We had bad troubles here with power outages. Three bad multi-day ones in less than two years, and the storms were not that bad. With a freezer full of aged beef and other goodies... we decided to buy a generator.

That very same storm instigated an investigation into the PowCo. Next thing we know, Davey Tree Service is crawling all over the County clearing lines. Haven't had an outage since. Haven't needed the $700 generator, but we exercise it every 4 months or so to be ready.

Heh, Marsh. We had bad troubles here with power outages. Three bad multi-day ones in less than two years, and the storms were not that bad. With a freezer full of aged beef and other goodies... we decided to buy a generator.

That very same storm instigated an investigation into the PowCo. Next thing we know, Davey Tree Service is crawling all over the County clearing lines. Haven't had an outage since. Haven't needed the $700 generator, but we exercise it every 4 months or so to be ready.

A wise move. Here in the city I can always impose on a friend or relative for a day or two if need be (load the chest freezer into the truck and run it over and put it in their garage if need be. I have a neat design to my house, my front porch is concrete and at the perfect level to back a pickup truck up to and lower the tailgate over the steps and just roll thing straight off the porch into the truck, and I have a 36 inch wide front door.).

Got some nice rain headed our way today, been a while. But it will probably have some boomers mixed in.

Well, we're kinda in the city. If you can call a township of Kalamazoo a city... Our entire county population is about 300k. Neighbors tend to go out the same time as us, family doesn't have freezers.

We do keep our freezers full to the brim, with water bottles and gel packs we got from Craigs List. I suspect that mass would take a long time to thaw, but being without power for 2+ days is grueling. Besides, we're on a well...

It was 27f this morning... Glorious sunny day!

A vector graphic may be a better choice for a logo. it can be scaled to any size without losing any detail. One disadvantage is you can't get as detailed as you can with a raster graphic. I just recently had mine done in .svg vector format. This format can be manipulated in most editing programs like the gimp.

http://www.logodesignworks.com/blog/vector-graphics-and-raster-graphics-difference

by the way, how is business going? Bright-eyed Computer is doing well(not yet rich, but it is paying the bills). We are about to start doing some tv adverting. we are excited :-)

by the way, how is business going? Bright-eyed Computer is doing well(not yet rich, but it is paying the bills). We are about to start doing some tv adverting. we are excited :-)

Yeah, that's the problem... advertising. We have a nice sign in front, the car is plastered, and this "bigger" sign is going to be 6' x 8', set high on a busy intersection. The big problem is media is sooo dang pricey. I keep trying to save, but you know how that is. One thing after another needs attention. I'd love to have TV, but we're going to settle for some radio first.

Glad you're doing well. Keep it up!

We have been dragging our feet on tv or radio ads, they call them, top of mind advertising. You never know if that money will come back. We have been in business about 5 years and the good old fashion yellow pages have been huge for us. For a service industry, it is a great media to advertise in. Every market is different. We are in Rochester, MN. We spend about 1200/month between the two main phone books used in our town. We have 1/2 page in each one. We easily bring that amount in every month with new business plus more. We built our business with the yellow pages, without them, it would have been a whole different game.

There is no way we could afford $1200 a month right now... I can't see how anyone still uses YP. I haven't looked at one in years. I guess we'll have to look harder into it.

it those ads brought in 2 jobs each week worth $150, it would cost you nothing. Then if those people come back a second time or give you a referral, you are making money. Yellow pages will be a thing of the past, but if your computer is down, you can't google "computer repair" :-)

I googled Kalamazoo MI. you guys seem to have a similar size city as Rochester, MN