Antiphishing Toolbar For Firefox Released

Anybody using this?

If you think you need the link.

Internet services company Netcraft has released a version of its toolbar for Firefox. The plug-in can help users of the Web browser avoid phishing scams, the company said.

The Netcraft Toolbar blocks phishing Web sites that have been reported by other users. A version of the plug-in for Microsoft's Internet Explorer browser has been available since December of last year. More than 7,000 phishing sites have been detected and blocked since then, Netcraft, which is located in Bath, England, said on its Web site on Tuesday.

Phishing is a prevalent type of online fraud that attempts to steal sensitive user information such as user names, passwords and credit card information. The attacks typically combine spam e-mail and fraudulent Web pages that look like legitimate sites.

In addition to blocking phishing sites, the Netcraft toolbar includes other features to help users be more security-aware when surfing. For example, it includes a risk rating for Web sites, as well as information about the popularity of a site and the country in which the site is hosted, according to the Netcraft site.

The toolbar will also "trap" suspicious Web addresses based on the characters used and enforces display of the browser navigation buttons to defend against pop-up windows that may attempt to hide those buttons, Netcraft said.

The Firefox toolbar runs on any operating system supported by Firefox and is available for free download from Netcraft.

Vile_DR

I am most certainly going to test this out...thanks EchoBay...

Vile_DR

If you decide to play around with it give a yell! i still don't have a test bed jacked in...

it probably contains spyware wink.gif

Ya think so mac ?

i didn't get a chance to google it. i like to ask around and see if they offered up a beta and i hadn't heard any hubbub.

Sort of got to wondering why MoFo hadn't rallied as i read IE was offering it up...Thanks.

Hi Marko tomas,

I hope its okay, I stole your quote and used it in the Tutorial Request Thread in the Suggestions Forums (if you object, just pm me and I'll remove it!). But in case nothing happens with the thread, how does one know which sites are remotely suspicious? Are there guidelines? Besides the obvious, "don't look up pron", I'm a oldlady, wouldn't do that anyways :lol: ....I am careful with links, with the only exception being here, but I google a lot and that is a worry for me.......and teenagers use this idiot box!!! Thanks,

Liz

Hey marko_

Good to see ya around. All's well in the world?

Ya know more recently i've been seeing the netcraft toolbar mentioned more and more...

So, i got to wondering what's up with it. i'm sure your rig and my rig are probably not the same set up. But i'm curious to know if it's gonna play well with others. i just wanted to hear some feed back. i admit i don't fully grasp the scheme but i'm learning as i go along...At least i think...

Ya know marko, i don't cruise the back streets of the net either. But the more i read the more i'm thinkin' it's not just the back streets anymore.The phishers are using better bait and it's looking like it's not just about email anymore.The cross-site scripting flaws that allow the bogus code into legit Web page URLs just gives me the creeps.As i understand it the websites should be fixing their flaws.Then i hear FF and IE patched their own world.So snaps to them. But why tax them if it's sloppy coding on the website? But like i said i'm just getting in to this area.

i've been worried (ok maybe more obsessed )(probably because i don't fully understand it ) about phishing schemes for a while. i guess this old post of mine......http://www.besttechie.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=2085&hl= would confer. Then after re-reading the article, i noticed it referred to netcraft. Usually before i post about something i google a little but i don't recall googling that particular time..But then i was just starting to see the hubbub about phishing (probably why i posted it)and not understanding it . All of a sudden this netcraft seems to be getting more mention. Sooo...i guess the next question is... Are they just trying to sell products or are they for real about battling? Cuz ya know we can always use more good guys.

Hey blim,

i byte at explaining tech things (especially when i'm still learning.But your mentioning of googling makes me think of the "gookle" catch...That to me was phishing.If you type a legit site in to a browser and misspell it you could end up a victim .While i don't think they actually use the coding flaws of the google website... EX: the cross-site scripting code where the hacker injects their code into legitimate code.They found a way to prey on an honest mistake. Not as sophisticated but still uber creepy.

Would be nice if there were easy to use guide lines eh?Maybe one of the less technically challenged peops will help you out blim?

Hi Echobay,

I just submitted a "tutorial request" for saver surfing guidelines (thanks to Marko!) ;) Also, thankful for that gookle information--that one now lives in my restricted sites!

Liz

No objections to the quote lol

Remotely Suspicious is i guess to each their own. Basically all i surf / have time for these days is a few forums, google, blogger, and a few tech supply sites such as newegg.

Nothing other than that gets visited because this machine does mostly off the net work nowadays what with school and work and ect...

I guess the best thing would be to keep your guard up. See where links lead by hovering before you click on them, watch your spelling ;) , and when things seem to be too good to be true; they probably are.

Also the usual never give out any personal information in emails because any reputable company only sends reciepts/confirmations ect and doesnt ask you to confirm your information with them via email, and rarely via phone too.

This reminds me of how Mitnick's book The Art Of Deception is a good read about internet security, corporate security, pishing, and social engineering.

I think i should also mention SpoofStick because i saw it on CFH 2.0 a while ago and it applys to this. It is a plugin/toolbar for ie or firefox that shows you the actual address of the site you are and not the mask that malicious code writers can use.

ie your browser shows http://www.msn.com

while you are actually at (spoofstick will show this) http://insertoffshoreserverhere.11/index.php