Hi Folks,

This message is for beginners just thinking about starting out in Linux. If you are thinking you might like to try Linux I'd try using a Live Linux CD. A live Linux CD is a Linux distribution that runs completely from your CD ROM drive without altering the software installed on your hard drive. So if you're running Windows XP you can safely launch the Live CD without messing up your computer. I downloaded and burned Ubuntu this morning, it runs very well. I'm posting this message with the Ubuntu Live CD.

There are many Live CDs to choose from, I've used all of these Live CDs; they're all excellent. I hope this will encourage those of you who are thinking about Linux to give one of these a try. iccaros, has created an excellent live CD.

Iccaros Linux

Knoppix

Ubuntu Live CD

Long live the Penguin.

hitest

Edited by hitest

I really like Iccaros. I have it installed on a second hd. Downloading ubuntu to try it.

Couldn't get anywhere with knoppix but that is just me

I really like Iccaros. I have it installed on a second hd. Downloading ubuntu to try it.

Couldn't get anywhere with knoppix but that is just me

I found that the Ubuntu Live CD has very good hardware detection, it's very fast.

got the iso, burned it and using it. One thing it did better than Iccaros is find my printer.

When I get another box up and running I may try the hd install version :D

got the iso, burned it and using it. One thing it did better than Iccaros is find my printer.

When I get another box up and running I may try the hd install version :D

The hard drive install version of Ubuntu is very user friendly, simple to install, with excellent hardware detection. Another thing I like about Ubuntu is the regular release cycle. According to the Ubuntu website they're releasing new versions at six month intervals.

Edited by hitest