Php Programming

I have decided its time for me and my family to get a website. There are a lot of reasons, like getting files to different people and whatnot, and i think having a email address with @*my last name*.org would be quite impressive. So, in order to create as website, i need to know some form of competent web-programming language. I picked PHP after reading a lot on the net, but now i am a bit stuck.

Where should i start? I know a little HTML, which i heard is a large part in PHP, but i don't know enough to consider using it. Anyone have any ideas on what i should learn, and where i should learn it? However, my dad told me he doesn't want to spend much money, so i think i'll have to limit resources to free online ones.

Thanks, i hope i can get out there soon and proudly say, i made that website!

So, in order to create as website, i need to know some form of competent web-programming language.

Are you sure?

Where should i start?

Your first priority should be (X)HTML and CSS. After you have begun work on the site it will become clear what, if anything, you need to supplement HTML.

I know a little HTML, which i heard is a large part in PHP, but i don't know enough to consider using it.

PHP and HTML have an historical relationship but nothing in particular in common. To use PHP as a server-side scripting language you need to know both.

Edited by jcl

Well, thank you jcl. That cleared up a lot for me. And to answer your first question, for the things i want to do, my friend told me that php would be a good way to go. Also, learning such a indepth programming language would be better for my mind :).

Also, learning such a indepth programming language would be better for my mind :).

I agree, learning any programming language(even bash) is great for the mind.

I too am wanting to make a family websight(mainly for learning), I will probably end up learning some php also. I got as far as getting a domain, ourfamilyonthego.com. Let me know how things come along :-)

And to answer your first question, for the things i want to do, my friend told me that php would be a good way to go.

Okay. The reason I was a bit dubious is that there are people who use server-side scripting when it isn't really necessary and complicate their lives tremendously, but if you've already been advised that it's needed then more power to you. PHP is close to the de facto standard and from what I've seen isn't too horrible. I would use Ruby or Perl myself, but they might require a more effort to learn, and the end result will be the same. (Ruby is arguably the the easiest of the three to learn as a language, but you have get fairly deep into it before you can use for Web scripting, and it's isn't provided by as many hosting providers as PHP and Perl.)

You may also want to read up on SQL if it looks like you'll need a database. It's not too difficult to quickly pick enough SQL for a simple site.

Also, learning such a indepth programming language would be better for my mind :).

Well, it would have some effect on your mind, I'm sure. Whether it would good or bad I can't say. PHP has driven more than one person insane ;)

And to answer your first question, for the things i want to do, my friend told me that php would be a good way to go.

Okay. The reason I was a bit dubious is that there are people who use server-side scripting when it isn't really necessary and complicate their lives tremendously, but if you've already been advised that it's needed then more power to you. PHP is close to the de facto standard and from what I've seen isn't too horrible. I would use Ruby or Perl myself, but they might require a more effort to learn, and the end result will be the same. (Ruby is arguably the the easiest of the three to learn as a language, but you have get fairly deep into it before you can use for Web scripting, and it's isn't provided by as many hosting providers as PHP and Perl.)

You may also want to read up on SQL if it looks like you'll need a database. It's not too difficult to quickly pick enough SQL for a simple site.

Well, it would have some effect on your mind, I'm sure. Whether it would good or bad I can't say. PHP has driven more than one person insane ;)

Heh, yeah, learning to code can drive someone crazy....:D

Also, i haven't heard too much about Ruby, so don't think i'll go that route...as for Perl, I'm think about that as well, but i looked into it some time ago and it was quite complicated....if php seems more complex, i guess i'll be at a crossroads again...

Thanks for your help, jcl, and you too, shanenin....

Also, i haven't heard too much about Ruby, so don't think i'll go that route...as for Perl, I'm think about that as well, but i looked into it some time ago and it was quite complicated....if php seems more complex, i guess i'll be at a crossroads again...

Perl's a nightmare, but it can do everything.

PHP should be simpler than Perl for what you're doing. It's a domain-specific language focused on server-side scripting, so within that domain it should be easier to use than a general-purpose language. It certainly shouldn't be more difficult than Perl, since it evolved from a set of Perl scripts and so presumably improved on Perl. It is supposedly about as weird as Perl, though.