I just rebooted to Window$ to make sure it still worked fine and it booted just fine, too.

Whew!!!

One thing, though.....

Explorer doesn't recognize the HD that I installed Linux on. Is this normal??

All of a sudden, drive F: dissapeared!!

I just rebooted to Window$ to make sure it still worked fine and it booted just fine, too.

Whew!!!

One thing, though.....

Explorer doesn't recognize the HD that I installed Linux on. Is this normal??

All of a sudden, drive F: dissapeared!!

Your linux partition is in a different file format from NTFS so Windows probably can't see it.

Can you boot back into Linux as well?

Congratulations on starting Linux!!

:D:D

Yeah.....that's not a problem

The bootloader thingie that Linus installed works just fine

wow. You got help from Mr. Torvalds

sorry, I am being a smartass

welcome :-)

Edited by shanenin

Not a problem, shanenin

I just washed my hands and can't do a thing with them

Can't seem to type right all the time.

Thanks for all the help everybody.

I'm looking forward to learning a lot!!!

So can somebody tell me something here and this might be a really STUPID Noobie question, too.

There are SO many distros available. What are the advantages to the different ones?

are there specific differences or are they all pretty much the same?

Linux is basicly the same.. The diffrent distros are created with diffrent end users in mind.

They focuse on being made to do a spacific task well. but you will find more in common then diffrent. with the Linux standard Base more sysmes will be more alike. The bigist diffrence right now is the way software is installed or updated.

heh, congrats on the install and welcome to linux....Mandrake 10.1 was my favorite distro for a while and since it's a fairly bloated distro, it should have any application most regular users would ever need...but now for the fun stuff, if you go to http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ and add plf-free and non-free (is still free, like free beer) as well as contrib servers to rpmdrake, you'll have more software available than you'll ever need...and most of the really good apps that don't come on the CDs....It's a very simple procedure, select 10.1 as the distro, pick servers for each of the things I mentioned and su in command line, then copy and paste the code from that site.

Also don't hesitate in asking questions....iccaros, jcl and hitest are all advanced linux users...I'm not as advanced as they are but I'm quite familiar with that distro and might be of some assitance.

good luck and have fun :)