Windows Registry

Hi All,

While poking around the web, I found an awesome site that explains the Windows98 Registry with pictures. It's not nearly as scary as I thought!! I am guessing that XP's registry can't be all that bad either after reading this. Now I'm not saying to change anything (!) but after seeing the instructions and pictures, I at least am not scared to death of the program anymore....

registry

There is also an area on the left side of the website with more options for us beginners to check out--some complicated stuff for the experts, too. :)

Liz

hi i am also a registry junkie

i can do a very small amount of cleaning in there.

but i have xppro.

which would be different from win 98

but thats a good tutorial for 98 users .

marty

Nice little read and your right Liz, it isn't so scary, but how much different can 98 and XP really be. Of course added keys and features and even different orentations of the registry, but it give me a better understand of what I could do it I wanted to change any of them.

Also I emailed [email protected], and asked him the amount of time and the amout of patience it takes to understand all of this. I also asked some more questions about the registry, hopefully I'll get a response...

(throws another log on the fire and shines the flashlight in my face)

that's not the real windows registry. the real one is a dark gloomy place filled with viruses and spyware and bugs and wolves. you have to walk around very quietly and smell of Microsoft. if and apple person such as me ever ventures there without a guide like martymas i might be consumed by the M$ Monster. he hides behind hidden .dll files and can leap across folder to folder to pounce upon you in milliseconds. they say he has a huge alien shaped head long teeth and when he stares at you, you become hypnotized with his hipno glasses, and then he steal your wallet.

M$ Monster

Hi Macmarauder,

Your description is exactly the way I envisioned the Registry, complete with wolves and dorky glasses!! Made me laugh! I always figured it was some scary DOSthing full of H_KEYS that once you went there, you were trapped forever and your computer died. (sigh, I've read too many Hijack This advice posts) I actually WENT into the Registry(!) to confirm my Product Key number, thanks to your Geekstogo link in Windows Support, I was so scared of the thing, thats why I googlehunted it.

actuually I have an older computer that I practice on...I have a lot of fun in the registry. yes I have had to reinstall windows a couple of times. I don't mess too much with my main computer.

actuually I have an older computer that I practice on...I have a lot of fun in the registry. yes I have had to reinstall windows a couple of times. I don't mess too much with my main computer.

cherrokee chief who posts on g4 is an expert on the registry.

so is pete and chappy.

ide love to be like that the reg is a challenge

i know how to delete some things.

i can delete the search entrys. and the inactive icons.

and when ive uninstalled certain things it is a good idea to go in and

highlight my compt

then go to edit - find and type that entry into the find box press

find button

and it will search for those entrys.

and on the right you can delete them.

i learned that at techtv i havent gone outside of those

little tweeks

but ide love to learn.

so im going to have a look at that link.

marty