i need some serious help here. I have a Lexmark z25 printer, i downloaded the latest Linux driver for it but I can't get it to install or configure for my printer.:( I'm on SUSE 9.1 personal and have already unzipped the file as instructed, but the directions I got from lexmark aren't working.

and I don't know much about doing anything in the root. :(

read the first post

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=1168777#1168777

the problem is Lexmark does not support Linux.. They wrote a driver with a script that does not work.. But they refuse to fix it..

I personally would toss the printer since HP has some nice ones at $50 with full scan,copy,print function that works with hpoj installed in SUSE.

the problem is that it is a good printer, and works well in Windows, If I can't get it to work in Linux, then I will strictly do my printing from Windows.

I got the printer for free, brand new still in its box. of course that was before I decided to dual boot with Linux, lol.

the problem is that it is a good printer, and works well in Windows, If I can't get it to work in Linux, then I will strictly do my printing from Windows.

I got the printer for free, brand new still in its box. of course that was before I decided to dual boot with Linux, lol.

what does working in windows have anything to do with Linux???

Lexmark made crapy linux drivers...not the linux community.. so its their fault.. I expect that when a company makes drivers.. they make them work.and if not I stear people away from them.

These companies think they can relases crap and we should be happy.. but that is BS.. they should put the same effort into Linux drivers as they do Windows.. and for a company to say..well we don;t know which linux.. is also crap.. NVIDIA has had zero problems supporting both Linux and BSD with the same driver.. no issue as to which version or distrobution..

I have a lexmark Z22 which I had before starting to learn linux, have the same problem. I agree with Iccaros that big companies such as Lexmark should invest the time and effort into providing customers with working drivers. I will not buy another Lexmark printer because of this

this thread may help.. also for robroy..the z22 does not work with mine? I don't have one..but I thought it should..

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=19470

actually i am downloading Ubuntu tonight, after i updated SuSE the other day, my cd Drive now opens up whenever it wants to, sometimes it happens when I click a link in the forums or click an app on the desktop, other times I don't have to click on anythign and it does it.

I can't get a support ticket on it, becasue SuSE doesn't do support tickets unless you are using their paid for version. so its either live with it or find a different distro. Besides I have ordered the disks for Ubuntu soem time ago, now I'm waiting for them to arrive, which hopefully will be soon.

thats a good choice.

but If you could before you kill SUSE .. post the output of hte command dmesg. do this after your cdrom does a random open.. I would wonder if supermount is flaking out..

Iccaros I can't get the comp to even recognise that a printer is attached, (usb) to try anything. The only options it gives me are 'print to file (postscript)' and 'fax'

of course it could be me doing something wrong

Iccaros I can't get the comp to even recognise that a printer is attached, (usb) to try anything. The only options it gives me are 'print to file (postscript)' and 'fax'

Did you install CUPS? That's an excellent printing protocol which will identify most Linux ready printers.

If you installed CUPS then select that as your printing protocol, you should be able to find your printer.

What distro are you using?

thats a good choice.

but If you could before you kill SUSE .. post the output of hte command dmesg. do this after your cdrom does a random open.. I would wonder if supermount is flaking out..

sorry saw your request after I did he kill and new distro install.

go to a web browser and type localhost:634

this will get you to the CUPS admin page.. if that is not running.. let me know... I have to admit I never tested printing so makeing it work for you will go into the next release.. I'm just happy some one uses it..

the upgrade to 2.6 I had to put on hold for school.

Hi Hitest

I'm using Iccaros but do have it installed to hd

still just a beginner

iccaros is the expert on the distro that he created, he knows!

Congratulations on using Linux! Right on!

You're not a beginner any more. You are a Linux user!!

I am not sure how you start services with iccaros linux, but it is based off slackware. You could try this command, it may start cups

/etc/rc.d/rc.cups

then try the web interface

Edited by shanenin
I am not sure how you start services with iccaros linux, but it is based off slackware. You could try this command, it may start cups

/etc/rc.d/rc.cups

then try the web interface

I wonder if CUPS is installed with the default installation of iccaros. I know with Slackware you have to choose which services are initiated at start-up, CUPS being one of them.

I tried shanein's suggestion but still no good, guess I'll print from windows for now. Iccaros said he would fix it on the next release

midterms end this week end so I will have next week to fix it.. Sorry I wish I could get to it faster.

my fault it 631 not 634..

so

localhost:631

you should be able to add the printer.

you may have to download a driver.. I'll see if I can find it.

I have been mesing around with iccaros and cups. I noticed you do not have hpijs installed, I think this is nessesary to use most hp printers. I saw that gimp-print did support some hp printers , but not mine.

Do you know what foomatic actually does? I am not sure, but I think it is nessesary to use a lot of the HP ppds. This would be something to consider in your next build. this is the ppd I use for my printer

/usr/share/cups/model/foomatic-ppds/HP/HP-DeskJet_3520-hpijs.ppd.gz

Edited by shanenin

ya, the next release was going ot add drivers.. but I think hpoj and hpij are getable with slapt.. you can install them on the live cd. they just go away on reboot. I have a running list.. if you see other drivers I need to add let me know as I forget a lot and I look back at these post to see if I missed something..

right now its using overlay FS.. so it meges memory to make the CD look writable.. my problems with 2.6 is I need to move to union FS.. well I don't know it well enough to play yet..

also if you "install" the cd to a harddrive.. download the scripts from my page.. untar the scrips to /tmp .. then add what you want or remove what you don't like.. then under the scripts run the runme.sh ..it will create a new ISO for you will all your changes..