Hello

I just purchased a seagate 1 TB free agent , i received one with a fire wire and it also has a usb port, so i was wondering if i could use both hardware ports simultaneously on two Mac machines. One Mac machine is a G 4 iBook PC, and the other is a MacBook Dual CPU, i cannot remember the technical Geek words ascribed.

Or.

what would be the best way to use a external drive with two machines.

I also have a netgear router.

too many options here for my brain cells.

file sharing to one machine, a X11 server of which i have no experience, plug this one in or that one ?.

what would you recommend as best option.

I also have a HP mini with windows to test web pages on, i went for a stand alone windows to distance the macs from any online bacteria, virus, fungi.

Thank you

You won't be able to mount the one drive on two machines at the same time. Your best bet would to share the drive on your network. The best way would have been getting a network attached storage but to late for that. Many new routers will have a usb plug to attach a drive and share. But you probably will need to connect it to one machine and share it. Of course if you're not using both machines at the same time usb or firewire to just one machine will be the fastest.

You won't be able to mount the one drive on two machines at the same time. Your best bet would to share the drive on your network. The best way would have been getting a network attached storage but to late for that. Many new routers will have a usb plug to attach a drive and share. But you probably will need to connect it to one machine and share it. Of course if you're not using both machines at the same time usb or firewire to just one machine will be the fastest.

Thank you isteve.

Thank for the answer.