IE 7 won't connect to the internet

It just started out of the blue. Everything else that doesn't require IE connects (Pokerstars, Itunes store, etc). It is a Compaq CQ-60,(laptop) with Vista Basic.

I looked up some info on my main desktop, and followed the suggestions about the LAN settings, but that didn't help.

I'm kinda knowlegable about computers (i am a big lurker) but not like y'all, so go easy on me.. :)

you could try resetting IE to factory defaults

http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/06/12/628499.aspx

also make sure IE is not using a proxy. Sometimes Spyware will make changes to that setting. If that is the case, you may want to post in the malware removal section.

1. On the Tools menu in Internet Explorer, click Internet Options(you can also get there through the control panel), click the Connections tab, and then click LAN Settings.

2. Under Proxy server, make sure use a proxy server is unchecked

I agree you should be using IE8, but first you need to make sure it is not malware. Go to the malware board and post a hijackthis log.

Then check in tools=> internet options=> connection

Check that you are not configured to use a proxy and that your connection is set as default.

The Proxy was checked, so that was it.

Thanks guys.

As far as IE8, I had it, didn't like it. So, I went back to 7. Is there something about 8 that I didn't see??

I am running MalwareBytes, and will also run SpyBot and AdAware, and see if they come up with anything.

Thanks again!!

Well, having the proxy checked if you did not do it is a sign that you may have been infected by one of a number of nasties. It is best to have a malware expert check to see if you are clean. Post the logs on the malware board for review.

As for is there any reason to update to IE8, yes it is more secure . The main reason new versions of browsers are released is that the old one has been patched so many times it is no longer reliable or that there is a major security hole which cannot readily be plugged in the old version

I strongly recommend IE8, and if you do not like it, it is not that hard to change its appearance back to what IE6 and 7 were like.

Unfortunately most folks made the move long ago so many of the customization tutorials are harder to find.