hey arnt we pawns in this sophisticated world .

what is it going to be like when it is finished.

Wait till you see Blue Gene/P and /Q. IBM is apparently aiming for an order-of-magnitude increase in theoretical performance within the next 3-5 years.

hey arnt we pawns in this sophisticated world .

what is it going to be like when it is finished.

Wait till you see Blue Gene/P and /Q. IBM is apparently aiming for an order-of-magnitude increase in theoretical performance within the next 3-5 years.

Very cool stuff.

I'd love to see the day when we can get gigabit/sec file transfers over broadband. I'm not sure why we would need that........I guess it would be cool to be able to send your e-mail in a billionth of a second :D

I thoroughly enjoy reading about the frontiers of computing.........................."Please open the pod bay door HAL!"

me to hitest.

im not really tech competent .

\but im all for tech innovations.

in my country i am a member of 2-3 tech clubs .

just for the satisfaction of hearing about new technology.

i have a coupla tech chanels i hook into now and then.

yes it is exciting times.

hey a compt that is equall to 20.000 desk tops .

defys the imagination dosent it.

marty

I'd love to see the day when we can get gigabit/sec file transfers over broadband.  I'm not sure why we would need that........

Distributed computing.

Fun thought: a 1Gbit/s Internet connection would be roughly as fast a SATA HDD. It could take less time to download new operating system images than to apply large patch sets to existing installations. If the network thoughput began to exceed HDD throughput you would quickly reach a point where it would be take less time to download the operating system at every boot than to load it off a drive.

Edited by jcl
I'd love to see the day when we can get gigabit/sec file transfers over broadband.  I'm not sure why we would need that........

Distributed computing.

Fun thought: a 1Gbit/s Internet connection would be roughly as fast a SATA HDD. It could take less time to download new operating system images than to apply large patch sets to existing installations. If the network thoughput began to exceed HDD throughput you would quickly reach a point where it would be take less time to download the operating system at every boot than to load it off a drive.

I like the way that sounds, jcl!

So instead of spending x number of hours patching, downloading, burning your favorite OSS just have it automatically installed at boot-up time with a replacement from a dedicated gigabit server.......I like the sound of that.

No more burning coasters:-) But, then I'd need to get a life and stuff........ :D

Edited by hitest

hey you guys im starting to dream about.

being in the future in an instant.

because thats what will happen.

i just read this book .

where the machine was taking them into another dimension.

hey buck rogers is here after all these years.

and to think i used to think that was in the realms of fantasy.

technology.keep comming

the article says they arnt short of finance because many companys want to invest in the compt of the future.

i wonder if they will take my 2 bucks hahaha

marty

there's a movie called "the first million is always the hardest" or something like that. anyways it's a movie about an entrepreneurs based on Steve Jobs. while working at a R&D company in California he gets assigned to the team of misfits and is given the challenge of the $99 computer. they succeed. instead of a keyboard or mouse mini lasers track your hands movements like virtual reality hands. instead of a monitor it has a cheap hologram display. no extras like a printer and instead of a Hard Drive it connects to a server on the net. that is what this kinda internet connection will ultimately be used for. why bother having a Hard Drive when you can just connect to a terabyte of storage elsewhere?