Web Blog Dangers

has any one seen the article on cnn.

where by maliscious code is planted on web blog pages .

by clicking on certain areas you are in danger of .

being infected by baddies .

has any one seen the news .

be careful out there.

that news by the way was 4.30 in the morning and i got out of bed to post it .

marty

Hi Marty,

I went to CNN's site and searched, but couldn't find the story. My kids have blogs and read their friend's blogs. This news is really sad!! Is this "baddie" something that the blog writer puts into the blog or is it part of a blog service?

Thanks for always being so quick to post these warnings--you always seem to be a couple of days ahead of everyone else's news and I sure do appreciate it!!! :) Liz

I've also searched cnn and couldn't find any mention...I also consider myself pretty skilled with google, and while there will be a million hits in 0.00098 seconds or so about malicious code embedded in web pages, I'd like to see a link to the article in question

Marty,

Please include links when you tell us the sky is falling

FYI...

- http://www.theregister.com/2005/04/14/toxic_blogs/

14th April 2005

"Toxic blogs are being used to distribute malware and keyloggers, censorware firm Websense warns. Websense Security Labs said it has discovered "hundreds of instances" of blogs involved in the storage and delivery of harmful code this year. Anti-virus firms question why Websense has singled out blogs as a particular security risk but Websense does come up with at least one concrete example of the trick having been used in anger.

According to Websense, blogs can be attractive vehicles for hackers for several reasons — blogs offer large amounts of free storage, they rarely require any identity authentication to post information, and most blog hosting facilities do not provide antivirus protection for posted files. In some cases, the culprits create a blog on a legitimate host site, post viral code or keylogging software to the page, and attract traffic to the toxic blog by sending a link through spam email or instant messaging (IM) to potential victims. Alternatively the blog can be used as a storage location from which PCs infected with Trojans "phone home" to get updated attack code. For example, Websense Security issued an alert in late March detailing a spoofed email message that attempted to redirect users to a malicious blog that would run a Trojan horse designed to steal banking passwords. Targets received a message spoofed IM message, offering a new version of MSN Messenger. Upon clicking the link, the user was redirected to a blog page, which was hosting a password-stealing keylogger called bancos.ju..."

- http://www.websensesecuritylabs.com/alerts...php?AlertID=156

Thanks folks for the information.

I sure hope it doesn't get any scarier out there for us all, though I have a feeling it will keep going on unfortunately.

It seems to me that the more bad stuff there is out there, and even being aware that we can't stop them trying to get us, it still boils down to doing as much as you can to stay safe.

So I guess the message is keep your antivirus, firewall, antispyware, and Windows, etc up to date And learn to surf safe, don't just doodle around a page with your mouse clicking whatever it lands on. Also do mouse hovers to see where a link will take you. Then read about it, do research, find out from board people etc what it is etc, and know what you are doing before you click on something. Duh...!!! Sorry! But it keeps needing to be said, I guess, to use common sense, and surf safe, because the bad guys keep on trying to nab us into taking their sucker bait. Just don't fall for it.

Keep checking for and posting alerts folks, so we are aware of what is the latest in the bad dudes arsenal. Thanks so much.

Stay safe folks.

God bless everyone.

Edited by thesidekickcat

Marty, thanks for starting this post.

As I've said before, I do appreciate the warnings you post.

It's a war out there and you're our early warning system.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks for the links, bozodog.

I got a 404 Error on the second one.

Here's an article on C\net with a little more info:

Phishing twist relies on bogus blogs

i watched cnn and it was a ticker tape news service.

i posted on g4 and chappy has posted back in reference to web blog dangers.

so if you need any verification go and see what chappy has to say may be then you will take heed .

i dont post these warnings for fun.

chappy says any web page is vulnerable to virus link clickables.

so before i posted here i checked with chappys post first.

so from now on bugger the web blogs.

marty