they can oly do that if you have an open connection to the net, if you are on dial up then they couldn't connect. If you are on cable or dsl with a firewall they may be able to, not sure on that. I guess it would depend on the firewall settings. If you are on without any firewall then it would be as open to micro$oft as to any hacker. If you turn auto update off it must make it somewhat harder , don't know if it will help

this of course is only my thoughts on the matter Missy . I have no definite answer, sorry :o:):angry::unsure::blink:

The deal is that up until today, you could block SP2.

Now, you can't do that any more, however if you turn automatic updates OFF, they can't just dump it onto your computer. You will have to check manually for updates and patches from now on and you should be able to continue without it.

I am in the same boat. SP 2 and some of my programs just don't get along and I have tried 4 times to get it to work without success and I have tried just about everything to make it work, too.

I'm trying to understand why people are trying to duck SP2!!! It's there for a definate purpose and should not interfere with to many applications within your computer. If you suspect or notice odd things happening with your computer submit a hijack log, or see if you can track down a tech and ask his or her opinion.

I installed SP2 as soon as it came out and have never had a problem with it. I run a 80GB machine with 30GB of info on it, with many many applications and have yet had even the smallest problem. :huh:

well unfortunately not all PC hardware is the same. with almost a dozen different main computer brands and a tons of different after-market brands, different computers react differently. plus .... well it's M$. they don't exactly finish their products before shipping them out. i personally dispize M$ more than the next guy but between debugging windows (finishing windows) :rolleyes: and providing supports for 1,000s of parts they've got a lot to do.

i personally totally hate the idea of being forced to update.

one suggestion i always tell people is to wait a week or so and keep an eye on how others are doing with updates. i remember on the last OS X update people were reporting problems with older G4s so i waited a few days until Apple rereleased it with changes made. then the same people gave the all clear. so i ran update and never had to deal with the same problems as everyone else.

I am pretty much prepared for SP2--mainly done except waiting for Son to finish a couple of school assignments on the idiot box in case all does not go well.

This is how I see it---M$ can DOWNLOAD the SP2 onto your computer and you get a "downloads are ready for your computer" icon in your task bar, (I've been ignoring that for a week) but you don't have to INSTALL it till you're ready--besides, you have to accept a licensing agreement before it installs anything. I could be completely wrong, so please correct me if I am! And as buggy as SP2 and spyware is, it would be stupid on M$ part to force an installation without giving the consumer a chance to clean up spyware.

And, the list of programs that "won't work" on SP2 has dwindled down to only a few---but last time I looked at that list, there were a couple AVs (Norton in particular--and its expensive!) that wouldn't play nice and that would keep me from installing it.

The thing that really bugs me is, supposably, you can't get "regular updates" until you install the dern thing. That isn't very fair to those who already know SP2 won't work on their systems, like Jimras.

I really feel for the folks who don't know anything about all this---my daughter would just blindly install the thing! I consider myself lucky for finding places like this to be informed on what problems to correct and expect. Liz

The main problem that I had with SP2 is with Norton AV

This is a known problem. If I try to use Norton in any way my computer will

just plain lock up totally. I just renewed my subscription, too.

I suppose I will have to just say screw it and not use norton anymore

and then I can put SP2 on and it will work but then I need to get

another AV program.

I am not TOO worried about the updates because MOST of them have

to do with IE and Outlook and I don't use either of those. Haven't for years (except to get updates)

Since Norton is the big problem, has anybody got any input on AVG antivirus?

It seems to run OK under XP but how about with SP2??

Any other suggestions welcome, too.

Well as a matter of fact, I have had snortin norton on my machine at one time, took it out and put panda in it's place. Due to going out of sequence while doing some work on my machine, i had to format, where at that time I installed AVG. I have had that application in my machine now for some 3 months and it never has caused me a moments grief. And yes I am fully updated with Sp2 and await the next batch to come out, which by the way I was misinformed should be tommorow not today. Now! if I could convince everyone to switch to Firefox instead of IE, that would be amazing. :D

Took on SP2 a few months ago and haven't experienced any problems what so ever.

I was a little scared to and waited when it first came out. Finally just figured enough already. Did my usual spyware and virus scans and when I felt confident all was well I went for it.

:D

Hi Jimras,

As a cheap Scotch Bohemian, I hate to see you waste the money you spent on your new Norton Subscription--and I read that Norton can sometimes be fussy when it comes to uninstallation, although you've been around enough to probably uninstall it correctly. Have you checked the Norton site to see if there is a tweak that may make it work with SP2?

If you do decide to switch, I have heard good things about AVG, but here is another option to think about. I have used Mcafee for the past 4 years free--kinda. In January and right after taxtime (sooo, SOON!) Mcafee goes on sale "free after rebates" usually at Staples, Office Max or Circuit City. Watch those Ads on Sunday! For me, Mcafee has a super easy interface, has automatic updates and hopefully works well--catches some spyware, too.

Liz

Thanks for that input. My wife has McAfee on her computer

which is only 2 months old. It came with WinXP Home

with SP2 already installed and McAfee's Security suite as well.

I like that but I'm cheap and don't want to pay for something if

I can get it for free.

Thanks again............Jim