Mac Mini Display Troubles

OK I have a Intel Mac Mini. I am using DVI to HDMI cable to my TV. I am only able to get 62.3 hrz refresh rate. Also, only able to get 1366 x 768 desktop screen size. I want to have it go all out and be max rez. Also, I noticed that I have to click Overscan in TV Options. So any thoughts would help.

I don't believe refresh rate will make any difference seeing lcds don't refresh the lcds stay on or off. Also not sure about the resolution but when you plug a tv, projector or display into a Mac it usually auto detects the native res of that display and sets it to as close as possible. I'm pretty sure most lcd tv's are 1080p so 720p if your tv is 720 I would think 768 will be the best you will get.

OK I have a Intel Mac Mini. I am using DVI to HDMI cable to my TV. I am only able to get 62.3 hrz refresh rate. Also, only able to get 1366 x 768 desktop screen size. I want to have it go all out and be max rez. Also, I noticed that I have to click Overscan in TV Options. So any thoughts would help.

It sounds like EDID. issue, SwitchResX 4 may fix you issue, but cost $20, you can test for 10 days..

which version of the OS are you running..

frq is weird as LCD's normaly are all 60hz unless it is out of range for the TV, a 720p is 1280x720 not 1366x786, which is 1080i(scaled) or HD compatible as it can accept a 1440x1080 resolution and scale it down to the 1366x786. but that is not in the EDID codes so it will fail on a computer not looking for a TV set.. you should try and run at 1280x720 for the best results, unless you have the newer mac mini, as the intel graphics card can not do 1900x1080 for 1080P

I have an intel mac mini. It is running Lep not Snow lep yet. Was thinking of going to it. It is a mac mini I bought early this year right before they changed it, just like apple. Is there a way to fix this issue for free? I would like to not spend cash.

It sounds like EDID. issue, SwitchResX 4 may fix you issue, but cost $20, you can test for 10 days..

frq is weird as LCD's normaly are all 60hz unless it is out of range for the TV, a 720p is 1280x720 not 1366x786, which is 1080i(scaled) or HD compatible as it can accept a 1440x1080 resolution and scale it down to the 1366x786. but that is not in the EDID codes so it will fail on a computer not looking for a TV set.. you should try and run at 1280x720 for the best results, unless you have the newer mac mini, as the intel graphics card can not do 1900x1080 for 1080P

OK I changed the resolution to 1280 x 720 and 60 hrz. But it is has to have the over scan on to fit the full TV. So what more can I do?

OK I changed the resolution to 1280 x 720 and 60 hrz. But it is has to have the over scan on to fit the full TV. So what more can I do?

nothing really, Over scan is standard in the TV industry, ,TV's do not need to be 100% as they are not monitors.. so you will have some overscan no matter what PC you use on that TV. More expensive Tv's are really monitors so they do not need the over scan..

you can try upgrading you cable and see if the mac see's the 720p setting like mine does (I have the same version but I bought two weeks after apple changed the model and got it for 299)

I use monprice for my av cables.. good prices and good cables.. I paid $4 for a 6ft hdmi 1.3a cable

I got my cables from http://sales.unl.edu/catalog/results/Results_By_Category.asp for like $10.

nothing really, Over scan is standard in the TV industry, ,TV's do not need to be 100% as they are not monitors.. so you will have some overscan no matter what PC you use on that TV. More expensive Tv's are really monitors so they do not need the over scan..

you can try upgrading you cable and see if the mac see's the 720p setting like mine does (I have the same version but I bought two weeks after apple changed the model and got it for 299)

I use monprice for my av cables.. good prices and good cables.. I paid $4 for a 6ft hdmi 1.3a cable