Hey Buddy, What Are You In For?

I think he should spend the 9 prison years with as many old slow computers as his cell will hold, all on small isp dialup service with their small server email service. Then all his all his email account addys should be given out to every spammer in the world, so he can spend his entire prison time deleting spam. If he should get upset or bored, to bad, no time off from it. Spam never takes a break, so he shouldn't be allowed to either.

Now deleting spam all his waking hours, would be time well served for his crime.

That would be justice well served in my opinion.

God bless everyone.

Tough room... :D:D:D

Wow i don't know ...9 years for spam sounds harsh...We have people DL kiddie pron, online stalking, browser take overs, pharming, cross scripting schemes and a list of other crap...We can pick our battles...The internet is unregulated and unsecure" It's man made and always going to be icky...At least email gives you the choice to delete..Sorry if my post bothers anybody.

Thought provoking topic tictoc..Thanks!

Tough room...

I agree...I kinda knew some people would give the responses that they did.

spam doesn't affect me, I know how to use email and not put an address I don't want spammed on the www...Of course, like everything else, it took a small learning process to learn that lesson though.

In comparison to alot of other crimes out there, I have to say I was surprised by a 9 year sentence...I do not think the punishment fits the crime considering murderers and rapists would get out sooner than he would if he had to serve his full sentence.

I would think a 2-3 year sentence (actually served), fines that would destroy him financially, probation for another 10 years, not allowed within 50 yards of a PC, etc. etc. etc., would've sufficed.

Sorry if my post bothers anybody.

I personally couldn't give 2 sh*ts about what anyone thinks of mine...lol

Tough room...

I agree...I kinda knew some people would give the responses that they did.

spam doesn't affect me, I know how to use email and not put an address I don't want spammed on the www...Of course, like everything else, it took a small learning process to learn that lesson though.

In comparison to alot of other crimes out there, I have to say I was surprised by a 9 year sentence...I do not think the punishment fits the crime considering murderers and rapists would get out sooner than he would if he had to serve his full sentence.

I would think a 2-3 year sentence (actually served), fines that would destroy him financially, probation for another 10 years, not allowed within 50 yards of a PC, etc. etc. etc., would've sufficed.

Sorry if my post bothers anybody.

I personally couldn't give 2 sh*ts about what anyone thinks of mine...lol

I think what we are all saying is there should be some actual punishment.

But then I think all crimes should get tougher sentences, ones that actually will make the individual regret his wrong ways and not ever want to return to them.

Perhaps the reason we all want to see somebody do actual time in some way related to and befitting the misery at whatever degree he (and others) caused others, is because so often the criminal gets off with a slap on the wrist, due to a lawyer pulling tricks out of his little bag to get the scum a get out of jail free card. Or the cells are full and so the lesser degree jerks get early release, and they laugh all the way to their next plan to rip someone off somehow.

I think there is a pentup demand for wrong doers, of every stripe and ilk, to actually get a sentence that though it will be reduced down the road, if not lost on appeal, will make the person change his wrong life choices. Unfortunately it probably wont do any good because so many have learned how easy it is to just go out the revolving door to do it all over again.

I am infuriated that people, whether spammers, or those who inflict their garbage of virus/trojans/worms/spyware of all kinds and anything else that would inflict damage to my personal private computer, make me have to constantly safeguard against them or in some way prevent or remove (or delete) their unwanted illegal garbage from my computer.

Quote from TicToc:

I would think a 2-3 year sentence (actually served), fines that would destroy him financially, probation for another 10 years, not allowed within 50 yards of a PC, etc. etc. etc., would've sufficed. Unquote.

I agree with that quote. Though I think the 9 year sentence wont be more than 9 months if that. But it has to start out as that long in order to get them to actually serve any time and that is even iffy that they will serve any at all. As for fines...Yes, but there are so many ways they can get out of or around that too. The ones that profit at the expense of others usually don't even pay taxes, and probably have offshore banks, or have a mansion in a "homestead" state where it can't be touched, or they feign bankruptcy to get out of paying fines.

Maybe we should just bring the stocks back to the public square, that would give everyone a feeling of justice being served, but prisoners have more rights nowadays than lawabiding citizens.

I also think the companies that pay to have this sort of garbage done to others, through hiring spammers or programers devising ways into my computer without my permission for whatever reason, that they should also share in the penalties. Make them pay real money to those they have inflicted with their garbage. Now that is a class action suit waiting to happen.

Those are just some of the reasons I think that people want to see severe sentences. Because the lower ones don't work. Even the severe ones usually don't work. The system is broken folks.

I don't know the answer folks, only the frustration many of us have with it. Sigh.

By the way, I have only gotten a handfull of spam messages on three accounts since I originally signed up for internet service. I guard those accounts as well as I can. But even one piece of spam makes me mad. Scared too, at the payload it might carry, even on a web-based service (I forget what that is called), and yes my antivirus is set up to scan it if I make a mistake and do something wrong that gets it on my computer. I am not tech smart enough to always understand how to do things to stay safe, I just do the best I can, and so far so good. At least with junk snail mail I don't have to be scared of it. Just sort and shred whatever needs to be shred.

God bless everyone.

i so agree that spam is a crime and should NOT go unpunished...

Hey skcat ....i really kind of liked your idea of locking the spammer in a cell with machines full of spam and letting them delete til the crap til their greedy lil fingers cramp ...LOL

i hope as technology crimes increases we will see more strict and creative punishment. The internet community is screaming for some form of order. It's a new frontier and obviously in need of some form of regulation. The sheep that we are we followed blindly and grazed in the new pastures they offered.We trusted this project and now are looking for the sheep herder to save us from the wolves!

We hit that "agree" key with out reading the small print...Did you see where the one company put the "cash reward " in their terms of service statement to see how many people really read the "Terms of Service Agreement? LOL...i bet they didn't lose money on that promotion!

In RL i'm like the poster child for internet awareness and security in our community. i learned the hard way what a dangerous place the internet is and i promised i would help anybody in my circle of friends that asks for help.i'm off line more then online so it made sense to me.

Our schools offer courses in every subject imaginable.They need to offer internet awareness and saftey too!

i wish luck to each and every person that's jacked in to the internet that many people call home!

To BTechie and the internet community that have opened their doors and offer their knowledge and help...A BIG 21 icon salute :D:D:D:D:D:D:D X 3 = 21