Annoying Company Boffins Restore Cookies

If you do the clicky thing

If you don't here's what it says...THE ANNOYING company which developed floating ads that dance across web pages has hatched out a way to restore cookies that you have been lovingly deleting.

United Virtualities claims that users really don’t want to delete cookies which tell companies all about their surfing habits. In a press release, United Virtualities claimed that users "accidentally" delete them because all those spyware programs that people are buying do it for them.

Such poor people were forced to watch the same advertisements or input usernames and passwords twice because they had deleted there cookies, a company spokesman said. Of course they don't have all the other problems related to keeping cookies, but that is not the point, apparently.

So to solve this problem, United Virtualities have come up with Persistent Identification Element. It uses a different profile system to store cookies. In fact it uses a folder in Macromedia's Flash and that is not generally affected by antispyware programs.

When a website discovers a cookie missing, it can look for the backup cookie in your Flash folder and restore the thing.

In what might be the understatement of the year, the company admitted that its product might displease "the handful of knowledgeable users" who had consciously deleted their cookies.

However, a company spokesman told Associated Press: "We cannot make everybody happy all of the time. We can make most of the people happy most of the time."

The cunning plan has not got much in the way of acceptance. Macromedia, the makers of Flash have already issued instructions for turning the profile system off. Anti-spyware makers are expected to follow.

So it looks like United Virtualities will not get the chance to make anyone happy by packing their computers with cookies afterall. Sheesh kebab!.

A curse on the house of those who would override our wishes to use our computers as we want, or them doing anything against us deleting/adding anything we want without some arrogant money hungry soandso outfit overuling our wishes, a curse on them for doing anything so dastardly to us. :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

I think I just blew a fuse folks. Sorry about that. Ohhhhh this makes me so angry!!! I am just boiling mad at any and all the dirty arrogant scum out there that think my computer is just a repository of their garbage. It is mine, not theirs, and I reserve the right to only have what I say I want on it, not some scumbag money hungry outfit that would steal my rights to my computer for his/thier profit. :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Welll I'd better stop before I really lose it totally. grrrrrrrrr. :angry:

My blood pressure is soaring I bet, so will head to the kitchen to get my celery to lower it again.

Thanks for the information on the evil deeds/intentions afloat in this world aimed at all of our computers.

I had to delete some emoticons as to many for board rules. HaHa! At least that got me to laugh a bit.

God bless everyone.

A link to the instructions:

Instructions for turning the profile system off

thesidekickcat,

... In what might be the understatement of the year, the company admitted that its product might displease "the handful of knowledgeable users" who had consciously deleted their cookies.

However, a company spokesman told Associated Press: "We cannot make everybody happy all of the time. We can make most of the people happy most of the time." ...

:angry: Evidently, we don't count. :angry:

Your welcome, echobay.

Yeah, the internet gets nastier and nastier every day.

Got to stay on your toes.

The ones I really feel bad for, are the ones that just got a computer, hook up to the net, start surfing and don't have a clue, as to what they just got themselves into.

But, I guess that's what we're here for, to try to help and educate.

Shame we can't delete United Virtualities by accident. Maybe we should start an e mail campaign tellingthem where to stick their cookies, though I guess they would just say we were all spamming them. Just one more housekeeping task we will all have to do. Soon we will be spending 50% of our computer time housekeeping