Cgywin Is Kind Of Fun

I have been messing around with cgywin, it is pretty cool. It is a little strange how it does stuff. For instances it makes all files with a permsissions of 700(maybe my umask can be changed). So when I used scp to send over files to my other computer, only root could read them. I also had to place my ssh_config file directly is /etc/ for it to be read, instead of /etc/ssh. Overall it is pretty neat using bash and other gnu tools in windows.

yes ..you can even run kde in it.. its a little slow on some machines but its a cool factor.

in anycase its always nice to hae a xserver... you can use it with ssh -X to control your remote boxes

hae you seen this cd.

http://xlivecd.indiana.edu/

its cygwin on a cd so you don't have to install it. just run it in windows (autorun)

yes ..you can even run kde in it.. itsĀ  a little slow on some machines but its a cool factor.

in anycase its always nice to hae a xserver... you can use it with ssh -X to control your remote boxes

hae you seen this cd.

http://xlivecd.indiana.edu/

its cygwin on a cd so you don't have to install it. just run it in windows (autorun)

I haven't checked into this.....

I would be curious to see if you could build one of the mozilla apps with it, along with vc++.

I kinda doubt it, for some reason, though. Let me know, anyone if you try this.....:)

you would have to gtk for windows

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gimp-wi...up.zip?download

as firefox and mozilla binarys for windows has gtk static compiled insted of dynamic

sorry confused..

long week

if you build the linux version under cygwin.. you will need gtk as it gives a fail on dependacys when you do a ./config

I would be curious to see if you could build one of the mozilla apps with it, along with vc++.

You mean like this?

I don't see why the CD would make any difference.

Edited by jcl
Only with the cygwin environment on cd......

Right, well, like I said I don't see why it would matter. The Win32 build processes doesn't appear to modify the Cygwin environment -- no files created or modified, etc -- so the fundamental problem with the CD isn't a problem in this case. That particular disc may not have all the required tools but you could always roll your own.

I'd try it but I don't have VC++ and I really am quite sick of building Mozilla.

jcl -

Thanks, for your reply. By no means did I mean for my last reply to sound smug. Just emphasizing that I'm fully aware of the build process as documented on the page you linked. Their documentation had gotten dated, as I guess you are aware, but they're making progress on most of it.

I'll double-check what is required against what is on that cd, and give it a whirl.......

Thanks, for your reply.ƂĀ  By no means did I mean for my last reply to sound smug.ƂĀ  Just emphasizing that I'm fully aware of the build process as documented on the page you linked. Their documentation had gotten dated, as I guess you are aware, but they're making progress on most of it.

Indeed. I was just confirming that you meant the standard Win32 build and not e.g. a pure Cygwin build. You and iccaros seemed to be going around in circles on that point.

Edited by jcl

nope I'm just dumb... trying to do too many things at once.. I read what he said.. and thought something diffrent..