I'm waiting for the reviews before I seriously consider it. But since Qworst pulled the wireless plug on the first of the month, I am sans cell phone.

I also have read that Verizon released another Android phone. The Eris. Half the price of the Droid (along with half the processor speed) and a touch screen keyboard.

Edited by irregularjoe

I'm waiting for the reviews before I seriously consider it. But since Qworst pulled the wireless plug on the first of the month, I am sans cell phone.

I also have read that Verizon released another Android phone. The Eris. Half the price of the Droid (along with half the processor speed) and a touch screen keyboard.

I went to get one on launch day but they wouldn't budge on the 6 weeks I had until I got my free upgrade (which kind of surprised me since you would think they want to get customers away from the iPhone). So it was either I paid full retail (which is like $560 or something) or wait until December. I'm just going to wait. From what I read though, it's still no "iPhone Killer".

B

I went to get one on launch day but they wouldn't budge on the 6 weeks I had until I got my free upgrade (which kind of surprised me since you would think they want to get customers away from the iPhone). So it was either I paid full retail (which is like $560 or something) or wait until December. I'm just going to wait. From what I read though, it's still no "iPhone Killer".

B

Don't you just love it when they refuse to take your money? Jerks.

I see that Newegg is selling it for $50 less than the Verizon website. $150 for new Verizon customers with their stupid 2 year commitment.

How I hate committments!

Don't you just love it when they refuse to take your money? Jerks.

Oh, I think the word hate doesn't even begin to describe the feeling. I mean, I guess I understand their hands are tied but seriously it's beyond ridiculous especially with the kind of market the mobile device/phone has become. New phones and devices come out so often (and I don't expect it to slow down) with new features and functionality all the time, yet these providers are locking you into the same device for at least two years. Honestly, that's stupid with the way the industry has evolved to date.

Let people upgrade their phones for a reasonable price and keep the contract in tact. Jeff Jarvis had an interesting idea which was discussed on CNET. It's time for a new model, the current one is flawed.

New in 2...ugh! :angry2:

B

Phonedog has some good reviews of droid

I don't like the term Iphone killer.. That is a bad press way to think about electronic devices..

Iphone has more apps.. and some way better apps.. but that is not the phone. its the app

I have stayed away from the iphone because its service is expensive.. I pay $80 a month for unlimited internet, unlimited texting and sharing 700 min a month on T-mobile.

looking at the same contract for ATT was over $100

sorry there is more to it than the phone..

Phonedog has some good reviews of droid

I don't like the term Iphone killer.. That is a bad press way to think about electronic devices..

Iphone has more apps.. and some way better apps.. but that is not the phone. its the app

I have stayed away from the iphone because its service is expensive.. I pay $80 a month for unlimited internet, unlimited texting and sharing 700 min a month on T-mobile.

looking at the same contract for ATT was over $100

sorry there is more to it than the phone..

wow went to Verizon, that and the story from Slashdot.. It seams that Verizon does not want droid to be a success. They are nickel and dimeing their customers to death.

for tethering I use PDANET

We went out to Fry's tonight and took the first look at cell phones. I like the Droid. I think it's now my first choice.

The S.O. wants to get a simple to use phone for herself. She's NOT a geek. laugh.gif At first she wanted a dumb phone....just dial and that's it. But she took a liking to the Blackberry Pearl Flip (Verizon).

Any thoughts on this phone?

Oh, and it's free with a two year contract. I really like that part!

We went out to Fry's tonight and took the first look at cell phones. I like the Droid. I think it's now my first choice.

The S.O. wants to get a simple to use phone for herself. She's NOT a geek. laugh.gif At first she wanted a dumb phone....just dial and that's it. But she took a liking to the Blackberry Pearl Flip (Verizon).

Droid

look at phonedog they have a review Blackberry

Droid

look at phonedog they have a review Blackberry

Thanks. I'm saving the Droid page. I like it. The BB review is for the T-Mobile phone, the 8220.

I'm looking at the Verizon 8320.