Ok, P4 2.0 640 ram new ati radeon (pci) GFX card

The fading seems to begin as i open more tabs in Mozilla, or other apps. After a certain point it stops, even as I continue to open more. This happens even if I have everything minimized.

Could it be heat related?

Opp's more info huh?

Monitor, 18 months old

Fans, stock with the Dell 2350

Resolution, 1152x864

color 32 bit

It's a Radeon 9200 128MB In pci slot... no fan attached

not sure how to check refresh rate

card drivers updated at time of install, about 1 month ago

inside of case well cleaned when I installed. (not very dirty then)

I have the room well lit,I have heard that a dark room and Monitors do not go well together.

Have not seen anything about 60 being bad for you ,but I guess it is possible. :(

By the way did you remove the old card from device manager and the software for it as well??

(conflict?)

I have an old HP Pavilion 7845 that still has the monitor it came with. I haven't had any problems with the graphics or monitor at all. Out of curiosity, I went to see what the refresh rate was. I not only saw it was on 60, but also that it had no other options.

this could be caused by the video card/settings or the monitor itself.

Monitor test

Ok, the test was just great. Thanx for that resource.

Ok, I now notice the problem lies in the "skins" of apps I use, like Ice chat and Mozilla. My pictures, desktop and web sites I visit are fine.

I am gonna d/l new GFX driver tomorrow, since I notice they have been updated just 2 weeks ago.

BTW, I have not installed SP2 yet and don't intend to for a while yet.

Thanx so much for all your help. I will post back after the new drivers are on-board.

Bd, first things first here. Color fading (if I am understanding you correctly) isnt going to be a video card problem. Not that it is impossible, but unlikely at best. Your have speakers sitting nex to monitor..? or anything magnetic stuck to it...like on the sides..? If so thats your problem. Now thats providing your monitor is a CRT(tube) and not an LCD (flatscreen). CRT's work on magnetic poles.. like north and south.. any disruption of the field will cause color fading (you can also use a magnet to move a color spot out of the picture).

The refresh rate: You need to be careful adjusting that. To much one way or the other could damage it. 17' monitors(SVGA's) usually run up to 80 but 70-72 is about ideal. There is "safety" net how ever that should keep display rates that are NOT supported hidden, allowing you to set it only at supported rates. (the higher your framerate the better your picture on CRT's) If you have a Flatscreen you need be specially careful adjusting framrates.

If none of that helps.. and it turns out to be your video card, you'll prolly end up better off buying a new card. Now it could be the monitor itself and if it is there will be tell tale signs... it will whine and/or make high pitch noises if your loosing horiz. or vert. It could even be that some dust has worked its way inside one of the several potentieometers(sp? ..dont feel like look up words tonight) maybe on the yolk or the board itself (which that is very likely to happen even if it hasnt yet)

CRT's do go out..and if you can find the right tv repair person they will prolly fix you up but.. and this is a big but..people dont seem to realize that capacitors have a shelf life and if you get a CRT repaired, it could last one night..one month.. one year... there not much telling. But anyway I am beat and calling it a nite.. another long day ahead tomorrow. Post back though ok... cuz it seems you have problems often with video and it maybe something very simple...or not so simple.

thanx for all the help folks. I D/L new drivers today, no change. I'm just gonna live with it I guess. Crow, the GFX card is brand new, monitor 18 months old.

Since it doesn't seem to affect my pics or websites....... I'll be just waiting.

You bet I did my scans, Nerelda. No themes, I don't want to clutter up puter with "fluff" I did D/L PhotoShop and PhotoPlus 5.5...... But I think the problem was there before that.

I'm just in a holding pattern, gonna wait for the other shoe to drop I guess.

Thanx again for all your help folks.

You bet I did my scans, Nerelda. No themes, I don't want to clutter up puter with "fluff" I did D/L PhotoShop and PhotoPlus 5.5...... But I think the problem was there before that.

I'm just in a holding pattern, gonna wait for the other shoe to drop I guess.

Thanx again for all your help folks.

Just a thought:

Are you sure the problems started before you installed PhotoPlus 5.5?

I tried it once, and it did not get along with my computer, at all. It worked fine when I first started using it, but then it started acting screwy. Sometimes it wouldn't load, or it wouldn't load properly. Sometimes it would just freeze, and I would have to Ctrl/Alt/Del to close it. A couple of times I even got a BSOD, while using it. The longer I used it, the worse it got. So after 3 reinstalls, I just got rid of it

I know a lot of people use it, with no problems, but for some reason it wouldn't work for me. This is just my experiences with it. Thought it might be something you could look into.

This is what I'm using:

Win XP Home

512 megs ram

P4 1.7 gig