Dead HD in HP Slimline Desktop.

I have HP Slimline desktop and about a week ago, I think the HD died. I went ahead and double checked if it was dead and not just bad connections or cables. I even checked the BIOS and the HD is not recognized at all, I switched SATA ports with the DVD drive and still no go.

Now for the bad part. I didn't back up any data and didn't make any repair disks(for whatever reason, ignoring the popup that would ask for it.)

I contact HP about the repair disks and they said that to get the repair disks from them, I HAVE to buy a 320GB HD that is comparable to what I have and the cost for that is $342 and change.

How do I go about getting the OS again? Do I have other options besides having to buy a retail version of the OS?

I'm not too worried about the data, just getting a new hard drive and getting an OS on it.

Buy a hard drive from somewhere like NewEgg plus an OEM operating system disk. You would be able to save a crap load of money. On top of that you wouldn't need to load all of HP's crap programs with the fresh install from a OEM disk. You would need to go to HP's site and download all of the drivers for your system and the OS that you buy.

well, hp does not send any disks with their PCs anymore because there is a recovery partition on the hard drive that has all that info. and OS. to get to it you hit F10 at start up to enter it.

the recovery CDs should be free from HP if you were the original owner.

if you can not even enter the recovery program, and did determine the HDD is dead, then when HP sends you the CD set, after installing the new hard drive, you just start by putting the first cd in and it will tell you to change the CDs each time you need to. the it will start to reinstall everything like it was when you got it new.

Now for the bad part. I didn't back up any data and didn't make any repair disks(for whatever reason, ignoring the popup that would ask for it.)

Tsk, tsk... Bet you won't do that again...

Your Windows key is still valid,(bought and paid for) find someone with disks and go for it on your new HDD... It doesn't matter if it's HP or OEM...