We Want You In Chat!

Hey Everyone!

As some of you may know, I created a chat room a while back. It has grown to a fairly decent size and has very nice people. Now, it's your job (meaning all the forum members) to make it the place I intended. We want everyone in chat. Chat is a great place for many reasons. Let me list a few now:

• It's a great place to get quick help if it can be provided, depending on the problem.
  • It's a great place to hang out and have fun.
  • It's a great place to learn and help others.
  • It's a great place to come when you are bored or have nothing to do.

Now, thats just a few of the many, many reasons. Some may say "Well, I'm a slow typer." There is no rush in chat, we don't rush anyone -- take your time and don't get stressed. Chat can also help your typing skills. The more you do it, the more used to the keyboard you become. Speed comes with time. Chat is supposed to be a place to relax and have fun while learning and helping. We have very nice people (I promise). If you don't like chat I'll give you your money back. ;)

Who knows, you may just become the very next IRC junkie. We'll be glad to help anyone who wants help setup an IRC client instead of using the java applet all the time. Don't be afraid to ask questions. We all had to start somewhere and we won't laugh at you. Also, I promise chat is 100% safe. I promise it is. So don't be afriad and come right on in and start chatting away. It doesn't have to be tech chat, it can be general chat if that's what you're looking for. If you guys have any questions post them in this thread and I will do my best to answer. I really really hope to see some of you in the chatroom.

So what are you waiting for? Come chat with us! B)

BestTechie Chat

B

Of all people, I would say I'm probably the biggest IRC junkie in the BT chatroom. I've been using mIRC for almost ten years now. Not only is it a great program, but there are several people (including myself) that are very familiar with it who hang out in the BT chat. We would be more than happy to assist you with any questions you may have about IRC chatting and any chat clients we are familiar with. However, most of us use mIRC, and a few use other chat clients like Trillian and IceChat.

Also, the Besttechie chatroom is located on the WyldRyde network. In my opinion, this is one of the best chatting networks you will ever find. It has knowledgeable and friendly staff who are willing to help, if they can. The network is stable, and the staff has taken many precautions in order to prevent the possiblity of "bad things" from happening. Rarely will this network "go down" or "get attacked". This network also does not allow spamming or file sharing. Please refrain from doing so on WyldRyde. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to reply to this thread.

We'll be watching for ya!

nic

Hi Marty,

Well if you want to test it out click the link I posted in the first post or look at the top of the boards where it says Besttechie Chat and click that and you will go to a page that asks you to enter your username, you can enter marty_mas or something. Then click the button and it will popup a dialog box (I assure you its safe to click Yes to) click Yes and it start to connect you to chat. Hope that helps. B)

B

thanks jeff i went there with the user name lani but i got lost.

and i saw your post asking if it was me but i didnt know how reply to you

but ile try again is there a help file for me to know how to post.

marty

Try installing mIRC and / or XChat and see if you can connect to that.

The server is irc.wyldryde.org

channel: #besttechie

IF you can connect with either of those it's a problem with the jave, if not then it's something else, but it will give us a starting point to trouble shoot the issue.

Yeah, that chat is great. At least it is when I'm there, not sure about the other times... ;) You get to know alotta people there, like those who will make you site banners, or those who will do all the WordPress problem solving for you, or the ones who like to throw poop at Matt, or those who fix all your C++ problems for you, or those who make fun of Matt, or those who give you free space on their ftp to host your blog, or those to make fun of Matt in text or via internet radio, or those who put

"(insert name here)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" whenever someone walks in, or those who tell you every song they're listening to, and much more. I could go on forever. Come on in, I won't (they might) bite.

Matt

I uninstalled Java then re-installed. I then tested it at their site and it worked fine. Java is enabled inbound and outbound in my firewall. I have also placed chat in Trusted Sites and set security low. Java is enabled for IE within the Java control app and in the browser. I still get the same result. <_< I even tried Trillian.

Edited by TheTerrorist_75
Do you have a program that can block port 6667?

The only thing I have is my DSL router which I haven't set to block certain ports and my firewall which just asked for permission on this try. I'm thinking it's an isssue with Avant. I'm messing with that now.

[Edit]

I just tried it in IE and I got the Java sig and a different acceptance window but the same error after.

Edited by TheTerrorist_75

Unable to connect : java.net.NoRouteToHostException : Operation timed out,

the problem exists between resolving whatever.wyldryde.org to an ip address, which gives you that error, SVCHOST usualy takes care of DNS functions (i figured that out by watching my fireall as i did numberous /dns something.com's)

try doing this the next time your on, when you get that error type in

/server 72.20.28.246

that will connect you to wyldryde,

then do

/join #besttechie to join this forums chat room,

ill put this on e-mail alert so if it doesnt work and im online ill have your updated reply within 10 minutes or so.

Pierce

K, i think its a port problem now, try doing the same command again

/server 72.20.28.246

but this time

/server 72.20.28.246 8000

if that doesnt work, then heres a few more possiblities to try. (replace 8000 with a number below)

Pierce