Fun Job Today: Firewire Target Disk Mode

We got a g4 imac in our repair shop that needed a reload. The problem was it had a bad optical drive. If we had a firewire optical drive around, that would have worked, but we did not. I did have a mac mini at home, using firewire target disk mode, we turned my mac mini into an external firewire drive. It worked really nice. its loading the os as I type.

• 4 weeks later...

We got a g4 imac in our repair shop that needed a reload. The problem was it had a bad optical drive. If we had a firewire optical drive around, that would have worked, but we did not. I did have a mac mini at home, using firewire target disk mode, we turned my mac mini into an external firewire drive. It worked really nice. its loading the os as I type.

good work

the computer shop here has a Imac in the display with a sign saying do not by a Mac it would Cost $800 to replace the hard drive. I am sure that is what the apple store said it would cost.. but dell says the same thing..

But what is worse the guy told me it was so expensive because Mac created their own disk drives.. This is why I buy more and more stuff on line.. most of the "computer" guys have no clue.. glad to see there are people who still care..