New Version Released

great.. sorry but it wil be soem time before an upgrade. I had my basement flood today ..so... whell see

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

great.. sorry but it wil be soem time before an upgrade. I had my basement flood today ..so... whell see

Man, that's a drag.

Hopefully you had your PCs above the high water mark.

ok I've burned the iso to a cd and will try it a little later

JD

It works I'm now using Iccaros linux

thanks, now I just need to learn it

iccaros-linux.org/

Very cool! Welcome to Linux!

Here's a link to a command line tutorial that'll show you how to navigate your hard drive, run commands, and find files.

When you're running Iccaros Linux click on the program called Konsole if you're using the KDE desktop or Terminal if you're using the Gnome desktop.

This tutorial will teach you some basics of using a command line shell prompt.

Command Line Tutorial

Edited by hitest

not only did I get it up and running from the cd I got it installed on my 2nd hard drive and am using it now

Thanks iccaros, I like this much better than knoppix

JD

Thanks.. I think before the next version comes out I would like to hear about any problems with it eing installed. and hopefully I'll have a nicer installer after this c++ class.

not only did I get it up and running from the cd I got it installed on my 2nd hard drive and am using it now

Thanks iccaros, I like this much better than knoppix

JD

Very cool.

I agree, I like Iccaros Linux better than Knoppix.

GAIM is there .. I had a request for xchat.. I am not sure.. I say that because I think its part of the min slackware install and may be there.. I have to check.. The build for this was started with the min slackware build then I added kde and other software removing parts I thought I did not need.

I will check tonight to see if xchart or other irc client is there

I have, but I would have to reinvent anaconda for slackware.. anaconda is a python frontend for rpm packages, so I would have to make it use slackware packages or in this case all I really need is a tool to partition and format and then copy .img files over, right now its img2dir, adn I cna still use that I just need ot put a gui on it so peopel are not a afrade of it.

the instal to hard drive is easy, I din't have any trouble as a linux noob, I can't find any reference to xchat anywhere and can't get kopete to connect to irc. Which xchat would I need to install? any help wuold be appreciated whenever you have time

I installed xchat on the newest version.. but forgot tp put a short cut.. just open a comandline and type xchat..

I don't use IRC (at least not in 11 years..) so I am rusty on its use..

Edited by iccaros

did you have to do something special?

if so please let me know and I'll fix it..

I am build the next version.. but it is probaly going to besed on gentoo. I have a booting version so far and now I am building adn removing things to get a good distro at cd size

are you using catalyst for the gentoo build

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/releng/catalyst/

nope.. but thanks for the link.. if I have problems my way I'll look into it..

Iccaros, the only thing I had to do was type the host in correctly, messed it up a couple of times before I realized what I had done wrong. After that it was no problem at all

• 4 weeks later...

after you untar it..

its that way to make it download.. most browsers will try to "display" a .iso file.. I don't have a FTP site so I have to cheet. also its makes it 30 megs smaller as a download.

I burned and booted iccaros linux. I noticed something odd, the sshd init script was not executable, is there any reason for that? I would think all init scripts would be executable. After chmoding it sshd started just fine.

you only need sshd if you are going to ssh to the live cd not from it. since the user password and root password are known I decided that sshd did not need to start on boot up..

now to why sshd is not exacutable .. this is how slackware works(at leasst how I have always had it work) .. it exacuets all exacutable scripts in that folder at boot. so if you do not want a service to start at boot you make is non-exacutable. If you want to make it boot chmod it.. and then start it..

so insted of the chkconfig or rc-update you chmod .. I found that in an old slackware document. Its the was older (solaris ) systems work and slackware goal is to be mor elike UNIX than Linux. I think slackware has chkconfig but I think it does the same thing.. I'm not sure.

I could change it so the main user can not become root, that way no risk of someone not changing the password and someone hacking the system. This sounds like I am too conserned, But this CD is already being used as a repair gap at some government sites.. they have a webserver go down.. boot cd and mount the drives and create softlinks to the www folder.. webserver back up.. fix the OS and reboot with little downtime. I have cought them a few time not changing passwords.. so I killed sshd and someother remote log in (webmin) at boot.

maybe I'lll write a script that ask what services you need started after boot

I don't know the best way.. but I'll take sugestions..

:D

the only reason I needed ssh server running on it was so I could use scp to copy some printer privers over from my gentoo box.

I am guessing that my freebsd box starts and stops services in a similar fashion. I am embarresed to say, I never took the time to figure it out.

Hiya iccaros,

I just did a hard drive install of your distro...don't know why I hadn't done it by now considering I change distros like the weather on my test machine :)

anyway, I'm not gonna take any cracks at the distro but just mention a couple things that you may or may not consider.

1) qtparted did not work for me, I had to fdisk and mke2fs manually...qtparted saw the drive but had no options to do anything with it....this isn't a huge issue for me, since I'm familiar with setting one up without it but someone without that knowledge may have a little trouble if they run into the same problem...I have a feeling that this is more of an issue of qtparted being unstable than anything to do with your distro..Is disk druid an option or is that a proprietary app?

2) This one might be me just being lazy but if you could put a useradd option built-in to the install and create the ~/ folders automatically, that'd be cool ...I know, I'm nit-picky :P

3) Since I haven't spent too much time fiddling around with it and also that I'm nowhere near as advanced as I'd like to be...Is it normal behavior for it to create a new xorg.conf on every boot?

4) On first boot, slapt shows up in the "frequently used" part of kmenu but isn't in "system" or anywhere else (or is it?) and then disappears on the next boot...I know it's in /sbin but that will only open it in a terminal.

5) This is probably a little much and you've probably heard quite enough by now but to have it startx or go right into kdm on first boot would be really cool too...lol

So, about half way through typing this I remembered you mentioning basing your next release on Gentoo, so the issues I've mentioned will probably be moot anyway... :lol:

Keep up the great work :D

ok all good.. a few questions..

1) qtparted did not work for me, I had to fdisk and mke2fs manually...qtparted saw the drive but had no options to do anything with it....this isn't a huge issue for me, since I'm familiar with setting one up without it but someone without that knowledge may have a little trouble if they run into the same problem...I have a feeling that this is more of an issue of qtparted being unstable than anything to do with your distro..Is disk druid an option or is that a proprietary app?

you were root when you did the install rihgt.. I use qtparted a few times last night and I have not had a problem.. there is also cfdisk.. incase you do not like fdisk.

also I think disk durid is apart of anaconda. so it may be hard to incorperate, but I'll look into it.. but I'm working on a real installer.. what is there is really simplestic so I could install to build with.

3) Since I haven't spent too much time fiddling around with it and also that I'm nowhere near as advanced as I'd like to be...Is it normal behavior for it to create a new xorg.conf on every boot?

it is for a live CD. right now its a toss up .. IF I change the RC scripts to dot do this then I will not beable to make a live CD with dynamic build of xorg.conf for the CD. I think I will build an image that gets installed insted of just installing the CD to harddrive .. kind of like Red hat does. also I'm looking at SWARET or an UNIFIED Package manager.

5) This is probably a little much and you've probably heard quite enough by now but to have it startx or go right into kdm on first boot would be really cool too...lol

I had it this way at first and all the Unix guys at work got mad.. they don't use the GUI so it slows them down.. but for an install I shoudl add a acript that ask what default init level you want.. you can always edit your /etc/inittab to make it start with X.

So, about half way through typing this I remembered you mentioning basing your next release on Gentoo, so the issues I've mentioned will probably be moot anyway... laugh.gif

Gentoo has been a failure so far.. first I can not get the mouse to work in VMware and I have boot script problems.. Gentoo for some reason wants to remout root.. but you cannot do that wiht a live CD.. I need to look at the gentoo live cd scripts and see what they do .. but have nto had time..

I had my new system booting from 2.6.10 last night.. but then I messed it up tring some stuff. I will try agian tonight. I forgot udev and it killed the systems.

keep up the comments..

also if anyone has more ideal keep them comming I have a list going..

for now it just says fix it.. but my distro is only a few month old so .. its comming along..