Minimum Sys Req

Topic title says it all.

I'm intrested in playing with a linux distro. I don't know which distro I'll try, this is where you folks can recommend something. I feel comfortable tweaking window registry, I know a bit of dos commands. I know nothing of programing, or linux.

I intrested and willing to crash a machine...other than Windows.lol

M

Topic title says it all.

I'm intrested in playing with a linux distro. I don't know which distro I'll try, this is where you folks can recommend something. I feel comfortable tweaking window registry, I know a bit of dos commands. I know nothing of programing, or linux.

I intrested and willing to crash a machine...other than Windows.lol

M

System requirements.

You should be able to install just about any Linux distro with a good Plll processor (500 MHz), 256 MB RAM, and a 10 GB HD.

Good first choices would be Mandrake and Fedora.

Welcome to Linux.

Slackware will run on older machines nicely.

Edited by hitest
I intrested and willing to crash a machine.

that is a good attitude. I am constantly breaking something, that is how you learn. If you are up to a challenge, start off with slackware. It is not overly hard, but for a first time user, it will be a challenge.

Also, you can try DSL or Knoppix as a live (runs off the CD-drive) distro, before you want to commit; basically, figure out what you want. What ever you do, you are sure to learn a lot and have fun. Also, you don't always need 256MB to run a lot of distros....128MB will suffice in many occasions....

Also, you don't always need 256MB to run a lot of distros....128MB will suffice in many occasions....

True enough. Mandrake and Slackware will run okay with 128 MB RAM, they'll be a bit sluggish depending on the wm that you use. If you're going to run a low RAM box and use x windows pick a light weight window manager like Enlightenment, Xfce, Flux Box, Blackbox.