Who To Trust?

and hitest, I just deleted my windows partition yesterday. I'm still excited. wink.gif I just don't have any reason to boot into Windows anymore, so I figured it was just taking up space. I use the partition to store some more personal files. smile.gif

Hi Codemuffin,

Cool. I've been windows free for a little while. I've got two Linux boxes at home (Slackware 10, Mandrake 10.1) and my daughter has an XP Pro box. I'm able to do everything that I want to do using Linux so like you I don't feel the need to run windows. I'm really interested in open source software, I love this stuff. :D

I've always (well not always) wanted to be part of the Linux Community. I've tried out Knoppix, and I just recently ordered copies of Ubuntu.

Hi MistaMatt90,

I'll help you in any way I can. You've made a very good choice for a first Linux install. As I understand it Ubuntu is a red hat clone which means it'll use the Anaconda installer which is a very intuitive GUI that'll guide you through the installation process. You'll be up and running in no time. Anaconda will do a fantastic job of identifying your hardware, but, I would write down your computer components, that is, know the make, model number of your video card, NIC, etc. Ubuntu will auto partition your hard drive for you or you can manually do that. I am very familiar with Red Hat products having used Red Hat 9 and Fedora.

I'm not trying to keep the hijack alive, REALLY!!!!...lol...but....

As I understand it Ubuntu is a red hat clone which means it'll use the Anaconda installer which is a very intuitive GUI that'll guide you through the installation process.

hitest,

most of what you said is an acurate assesment, Ubuntu seems like a solid choice for starting linux and hardware research is always a good plan...but...Ubuntu is a text based install, not gui...very simple, none the less...and also since Ubuntu defaults to gnome (a very fast and stable gnome 2.8) for its WM, there's that difference too

Ubuntu is a Debian derivative. Other than that and the installer thing it was an accurate assessment ;)

/me ponders why popular opinion is that Ubuntu is easy and Debian is difficult when they use more or less the same installer, packaging tools, desktops....

Edited by jcl
I'm not trying to keep the hijack alive, REALLY!!!!...lol...but....
As I understand it Ubuntu is a red hat clone which means it'll use the Anaconda installer which is a very intuitive GUI that'll guide you through the installation process.

hitest,

most of what you said is an acurate assesment, Ubuntu seems like a solid choice for starting linux and hardware research is always a good plan...but...Ubuntu is a text based install, not gui...very simple, none the less...and also since Ubuntu defaults to gnome (a very fast and stable gnome 2.8) for its WM, there's that difference too

Yep, you're right!

I don't know why I got ubuntu confused with fedora.

The install will be more of a challenge. Now I remember why I got it confused with fedora. If it's based on debian it'll have the apt package updating system which is similar in function to yum used by fedora. Once you've got it installed it should be easy to maintain.