Windows 7 Vs Windows Vista

Windows 7 vs Windows Vista

Microsoft desktop operating systems compared

Frank J Ohlhorst

Microsoft recently announced the dates it intends to release the RTM version of Windows 7. We take an in-depth look at what is new and different about the new OS.

This week, Microsoft announced that it would be making the Release to Manufacture (RTM) version of Windows 7 available from August.

The company is obviously hoping that Windows 7's new and enhanced features will be enough to entice users back into the Microsoft fold and finally put Windows XP to rest. But the real question is: will Windows 7 come across to prospective users as a new product or just a rehash of Windows Vista?

The only way to answer that question is to take an in-depth look at what is new and different about the new OS. I've noted which features are new, which are improved (in other words, have the same functions but perform them better), and which are enhanced (which have had new functions added).

Most of these changes were discovered during my hands-on examination of Windows RC1. I've been informed by a Microsoft representative that the only significant differences between this version and the RTM is that Windows Starter Edition is no longer limited to only three active applications at the same time (a change which was announced back in May), and that the desktop has a new default background.

More on the topic - PCAdvisor - http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?...p;NewsID=119768

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>