At home I mainly use OSX as my main system. I have a mac mini, it runs fine for what I do. Pretty much everything I do is web based. At work I have been using an old sempron laptop with XP. This machine mainly just plays itunes, runs quickbooks. I also use most lots of google apps: docs, mail, calandar. I just switched today to a simple dual core amd laptop with Windows 7, build 7100(64bit). I really like it. So far it has been a good experience. Everything I use has installed smooth.

In our shop, we have sold about 70 new computers in the last two years, of which maybe 4 have had Vista, everything else has been XP. We are getting to the point where we may quit pushing XP.

first issue I found. Quickbooks PDF converter does not work. This is needed to create invoices. Hopefully I can work this one out.

edit added later//

This seems to be a vista 64 issue. I may just install the 32 bit version of windows 7. I can't function without this feature

Their appears to be some work arounds, I may give them a try.

edit added later//

I am downloading the 32 bit version, I am pretty confident this should solve the issue.

Every "major" OS upgrade has compatibility issues, plus you've added the complication of the change from a 32 to a 64 bit system ... What version of 7 do you have? Ultimate has (or will have) an XP-compatibility mode (or something like that) where you could run anything that runs in XP. Personally, I can't wait for the rest of the world to catch up to 64-bits ... :angry:

ok, is your system 64 bit or 32 bit?

running 64 bit on a 32 bit system will have problems.

another thing, you say you are downloading, so that means you are using leaked versions of win7 that are not the gold version. that is another way of having problems. the win7 is coming out gold soon. the RC version is not the gold version, but a version that is released before the gold version, and the first gold releases will go to OEM venders. then the upgrades will come out next to the consumer and then the full retail versions will be out

It is build 7100 rc. I guess this is not gold. This is what Microsoft allowed me to download. My computer does have an Athlon 64 proc.

I am getting the same issue with the 32 bit version. I am going to try a few different workarounds I have found.

Yay, its working! I was so excited about using Windows 7, the thought of not being able to use it made me sad. I needed the feature of saving invoices as a pdf file. This is a huge necessity for my business. Not getting this feature to work with Windows 7 would have been a deal killer.

I got it working using the following work around. This may have also worked using the 64 bit version, but who knows. I am happy with the 32bit version anyways.

I am not sure if I am just happy to be using a fast dual core or getting away from XP(vista never appealed to me, I realize Windows 7 is very similar). I think it is s little of both.

This is a great way to end the work week :-) Hope you all have a great weekend.

I already had installed the 32 bit version before trying the work around. I did not want to take the time to reinstall the 64bit version again. It probably would have worked.

As to the errors, I got them all the first time through, but the second time it worked just as it said it would.

what is the cost of windows7

in the different areas

is there ,much different

from country to country

curios

marty

Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows, Windows 7 Pricing Guide

Note that every body looks at the most expensive possible version when considering Windows 7 prices, but few people actually buy the full retail version off the shelf. The information was last updated on June 25th.

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite feature of Window 7 just quit working on me, taskbar preview. Now when I hover over the icon in my task bar I get a quick preview(about a second), then it disappears. Grumble.

Well, you don't have the newest version yet. Maybe they've fixed it in the new RTM.

I actually switched from XP over a year ago to Vista when it hit me just how bad XP behaved on my gaming rig. I had the pre-SP1 copy of Vista Home Premium x64 and before SP1, it was actually pretty bad. I had it on for a day or 2 and went back to XP for a little while. Then I realized XP wasn't acting much better (unbearably slow in anything other than a game). SP1 rolls along, I try Vista again, install the SP1 update, and voila. PERFECT. No more slow apps, more stable (that blew me away), better looking, DX10 (that's actually the final reason I switched, to play Crysis in DX10). I loved it. Now it seems to be acting up some but that's partly due to the video drivers after switching from a GeForce 8800GT to a GeForce GTX275 but I think I've got them fixed. I'd say it's pretty good to have the same install for over a year and a half and it still work fairly well despite all the hardware changes.