Goodbye Cc, Hello University

First grocery trip....... frickin $100. OK, mom is going next time. She somehow manages to get twice as much as we did with the same money.

So far... I hate it. Mostly, I just hate this town and having to pay for stuff :P I liked not paying for anything and living in a smaller less crowded town.

Plus, I'm having to get a new cell phone, cause mine won't work right out here. My parents just switched carriers altogether. We had AT&T and mine was the only 3G capable phone. Back home I had no trouble. Actually there weren't even any 3G towers out there but in every other town that I'd been that did have 3G I still didn't have probs. My parents old 2G phones didn't have problems and my roommate's Verizon 3G phone and my brother's Verizon 3G phone worked fine too out here but not my 3G AT&T phone (of course mine is older too.... actually mine is the very first cell phone model to support 3G). SO my parents just switched to Verizon cause my dad's work had discounts with them anyway. It's a bummer cause I liked my phone. Now I have to drive back home tomorrow AGAIN (just went back yesterday) to get it cause I need it. My job apps all had my cell number on them.

Also, Office Max is looking kind of promising. I hope I get a job there.

*PS, why driving home sucks right now. It's an hour one way with no A/C or Cruise Control. Plus the gas usage when I'm jobless at the moment.

"I liked not paying for anything and living in a smaller less crowded town."

LOL. You and me both.

Hang in there Honda Boy. The best is yet to come. (but it might take awhile).

Joe

And no go on that job but it's a good thing. I realized in the interview that working there probably would have been worse than my old restaurant job. OK, from now on, clothing stores are out. I'm gonna bug OfficeMax relentlessly now, Best Buy too.

Yeah, no kiddin'. When my wardrobe consists mostly of black/dark green/dark blue novelty T-shirts, blue jeans and khaki shorts, I'm pretty sure Men's Wearhouse ain't for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I hate MTSU already and I haven't even been to my first class.... cause I missed it. There is NOWHERE to park there. Every frickin lot FULL. HOW!? They really need to rethink the parking situation there.

I'm walking to my next class. I'm just gonna leave the car here, step out the door about 45 minutes to an hour before class and walk. I'm not trying to find a spot again. Screw that.

I may be able to get my dad to get me a bike. I'll try walking first. My roommate just took me to class today. I emailed my teacher for my first class that I missed. He seems pretty cool. He let me know what I missed which apparently wasn't much.

OK, if I can get transport worked out, I may like it. I made it to my Media Writing class which seems like another Comp class but Sight, Sound, and Motion was pretty cool. I get to work with classmates on photo and Video projects. The class I missed was Surveying new Media Communications I think. Tomorrow I have American Media and Social Institutions and then Intro to Philosophy. Fun.

I just think Sight, Sound, and Motion will be cool. It seems I already have project partners, one who is an aspiring director who already edits video, and the other despite being younger than me, owns 2 small production companies. One supports the other by being the makeup side. I.... well, I guess I can manipulate images in Photoshop to some degree.

Apparently I'm one of the the oldest excluding one dude in his late 30's or 40's in both the classes I went to with me being 21 and most of the others being 19-20. I am a little behind but still I was one of only 2 or 3 Juniors in each class which is weird cause I thought these were all higher level classes. Apparently I was wrong.

I hate MTSU already and I haven't even been to my first class.... cause I missed it. There is NOWHERE to park there. Every frickin lot FULL. HOW!? They really need to rethink the parking situation there.

I'm walking to my next class. I'm just gonna leave the car here, step out the door about 45 minutes to an hour before class and walk. I'm not trying to find a spot again. Screw that.

Just my opinion, but this does not sound good.

I walked to school today. Not that bad. Takes about 20-25 minutes to get there. Just so happened to meet a girl that was in MTSU's anime club today. It seems they may be set up just a bit better than CSCC's but I still think I'll stay out of it. I'm weird in the fact that I love anime but hate most of the stuff that people who join these clubs like (cosplay, conventions, etc.).

I met her while waiting to get help at Network Services. They took so long that I had to just leave and go to my next class. I can't believe how poorly setup their wireless network is. Let me explain how CSCC's worked. Turn on laptop, get wireless signal (it was saved so it connected automatically), open browser, CSCC login page loads, enter student account and password, use the frickin internet. MTSU, NOOOOOO can't do it the easy way. You have to install some stupid ass network access software that determines if your computer is compatible...... CSCC basically said, if your computer has a wireless card, it's compatible (didn't matter what hardware or OS you had). Mine got rejected at MTSU for three reasons and was denied access to the network. 1. It said I had a registry entry that was incorrect. AMD64. Only x86 platforms are allowed...... WHAT!?!?!?!? Practically every PC sold now runs on a 64-bit platform, and over half come preinstalled with Vista x64 now. Reason number 2. No anti-virus. What the hell do you think avast ANTI-VIRUS is? Reason 3. I'm so PO'ed I can't even remember anymore.

Everyone I talked to waiting in line said the colleges they came from were all like CSCC's. Log-in and be on your merry way. Who on earth thought this crap at MTSU would be a good idea? And who set that crap to reject 64-bit platforms? That right there is a severe case of mental retardation if you ask me. They think it's securing their network but it's actually doing nothing but pissing off a bunch of people. Here's the kicker, CSCC and MTSU are sister schools both run by the Tennessee Board of Regents.

OH, and I think the parking issue stems from the fact that they have record enrollment this year (I think about 3,000 more students) at 24,000 students and no one expanded the parking to accommodate the extra students.

Edited by Honda_Boy

Eh, the network's just a bit behind the times and a coupl'a restrictions that made sense to someone at some time. Inconvenient for you, sure, but it's sure to catch up -- bet it does during this school year.

1) 64-bit may be more common than ever, but tons of stuff haven't caught up with that yet ("Boop! This website wants to install Adobe Flash ... Oh, nevermind."). 2) It would be irresponsible of them to just accept any program that included the word "anti-virus" in the title -- they have to know that it's an acceptable product and not malware or even a placeholder meant to trick the system. 3) It'd be interesting to know what your third complaint was. :)

Well, after going three times, the Help Desk finally got it sorted out. They first had to reset my wireless account then set a 64-bit exception. Once they did that, it was even recognizing avast. BUT I was rejected again temporarily because I had uTorrent installed. First off, the network should block torrent activity anyway (that's the way CSCC worked). It seems stupid that I should have to uninstall it to use their wireless network. I just did it anyway since I mostly only use torrents on my desktop.

• 11 years later...
On 7/31/2009 at 2:39 PM, irregularjoe said:

Ain't moving fun?

3774235129_948b161213_o.gif

I think doing the groceries is one of the biggest struggles in university, if you don’t know what you’re doing it can get mighty expensive!! My roommate gave me the advice to do online grocery shopping, he always gets his goods from hodxpress. He told me it’s easier to make a more calculated purchase this way. I ordered my first groceries yesterday, I’m curious if it actually will save me money in the long run... We will see! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

City to city movers helped me a lot when I decided to live far from my mother with over-controlling part of her character. Tired from that stuff. 

You are lucky that you were able to study in University and live with other students in special accommodation buildings. I, unfortunately, did not have that splendour opportunity.