Overweight' People Live Longer Than Those Of 'ideal' Weight

The following should be good news for the bulk of the population ... moskingqa5.gif

Overweight' people live longer than those of 'ideal' weight

Pie orgies sadly unlikely to increase lifespan, though.

Cheerful news for those whose Body Mass Index (BMI) falls into the "overweight" range today - you will probably live longer than a person whose BMI is "ideal". Boffins in Canada and America revealed the new findings following a study of over 11,000 Canadians covering the last 12 years.

Unsurprisingly, people whose BMI showed them to be "underweight" or "extremely obese" died sooner than those in the more middle-of the-road brackets. But the medical community's consensus that anyone with a BMI from 25-30 is "overweight", whereas 18.5-25 is "ideal" has been undermined by the fact that survey subjects in the former, heftier band actually lived longer than the lightweights.

"It's not surprising that extreme underweight and extreme obesity increase the risk of dying, but it is surprising that carrying a little extra weight may give people a longevity advantage," said David Feeny, PhD, one of the study's authors.

full article the register - http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2009/06/2...ht_live_longer/

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

That highlights something that's bothered me for some time: The criteria for determining if someone was "obese" has changed. Suddenly, with an accounting change, twice as many people who were considered to be "healthy" for all their lives, were suddenly "obese" and at risk. Headlines screamed, doctors and lawyers salivated, people were shocked to learn they were now "sick." And all for nothin' IMO.

I suspect it's just a sign of my gettin' old, but sometimes I think our whole world is based on nothing but lies. :(

Someone has determined that we all have to be toothpick thin to be a beautiful person so anyone who has a tendency to put on extra weight is looked upon as sloppy, lazy and whatever else comes to mind. what society fails to see is that person can be smart, witty, compassionate, loving, etc. Some are genetically predisposed to being overweight so does that make them a lesser person? I think not.

Once upon a time I was fashionably ultra slim, now I am fashionably rounded

moskingqa5.gif ... I no longer skinny dip but chunky dip ... and I am still the same person with the same personality I was many years ago, and I am healthier than others in my age group who are toothpick skinny.

Son is a "Movement Science Major" (which means he can be a physical therapist, trainer, coach, all sorts of things....but he wants to be a PE Teacher)

In one of his classes they did the BMI test. ALL these students were athletes, health nuts and physically fit. Not a one had thunder-thighs, bubble-butt or pot belly. The only ones who didn't test "overweight" were the superskinny long distance runners (toothpicks!). Even the dancers were "overweight". The kids who worked out with weights and had muscles were considered "very overweight".

I read somewhere that Marilyn Monroe wore a size 14

Liz

Edited by blim

I don't remember the exact year they changed the criteria but I remember it happening. I knew at the time at what weight I feel best, and according to that "new" criteria I'd have to lose another forty pounds to be "healthy." That's just so freakin' ridiculous I don't even know how to respond.

Who set that standard? Why is it even being used? To "scare" the populice, to give the government the power to legislate action, or am I being paranoid?

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

--H. L. Mencken

Who set that standard?

The World Health Organization.

Why is it even being used?

It's simple, fast, and there are numbers so it must be Science.

To "scare" the populice, to give the government the power to legislate action, or am I being paranoid?

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

On the other hand, the insurance industry's adoption of BMI probably was motivated by malice.