My Birthday Present

Hello Everyone!!

I figured that since I got a really cool Birthday Present that I would share it with everyone. It has taken me about a year to pick the right Television to replace my aging JVC 20" Flat Screen SDTV. I bought this TV with my birthday money.

With the help of my parents, I have now replaced the old JVC with the TV below, which has been photographed and sized at 640x480 - It is a Dynex 26" LCD HDTV - specs HERE

Here she is in my living room

Dynex-tv-26-640.JPG

The Movie I am running is Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn.

I have this TV set up in Widescreen, VirtualSurround mode, and I have 2 HDMI ports on the TV, and I have hooked my XBOX 360 to the HDMI 1 port, and I will probably hook my HD Cable box to HDMI 2 - This TV is a 720p/480i TV, and it is really cool - Cost me $299.99, and my parents went to NH to get the TV (There is no sales tax there) - So, I owe them a BIG one here, because they got the TV for me, and set it up for me, and now, I just have to fiddle with some settings ;)

How do you like it??

Brian

Nice; it fits.

My biggest gripe with the new ones is that you need a much larger 16:9 to get the same "viewing height" as a smaller 4:3 (Something like a 32 inch to replace a 25 inch ?) So at the same width or diagonal you get a much smaller pic.

Not so much an issue with 16:9 content but so much of what I watch is still 4:3 and looks funny if you stretch to fit and tiny when viewed normal.

Then there is the issue of the old entertainment center with a 4:3 hole which now has a gap to fill (not an issue, just put in an extra shelf and now you can fit the tv , dvd player, and cable box all in the same hole; or if you are really lucky the shelves can be re arranged) .

I am SO jealous! :lol:

It's REALLY time to replace my 15 year-old or so projection TV, though with the help of an Internet TV forum I retweaked it to the point where the picture's better-than-new. Still, it's standard-def ... Which brings up:

... My biggest gripe with the new ones is that you need a much larger 16:9 to get the same "viewing height" as a smaller 4:3 ...

To get the same picture height with standard-def programming, of which there is still a lot, I would have to get a 56 inch screen. Yike$!

I am SO jealous! :lol:

It's REALLY time to replace my 15 year-old or so projection TV, though with the help of an Internet TV forum I retweaked it to the point where the picture's better-than-new. Still, it's standard-def ... Which brings up:

... My biggest gripe with the new ones is that you need a much larger 16:9 to get the same "viewing height" as a smaller 4:3 ...

To get the same picture height with standard-def programming, of which there is still a lot, I would have to get a 56 inch screen. Yike$!

JDoors:

My Parents HD TV is a Sony Bravia 46" - about 20" bigger then mine, but I don't think I would go any bigger, because as Pete says, it fits in the cabinet, and for added safety, my stepdad removed the swivel base and the mounting hardware so that I would have a flat box to set the tv into - He said the swivel base is unsafe, because if you move it wrong, then you could lose the TV :( So he says that later, he will take some wire and attach the TV to the cabinet ;)

Brian

... I don't think I would go any bigger, because as Pete says, it fits in the cabinet ...

Yeah, I didn't mention it but if I WERE to go big enough to not lose picture height, I'd have to completely rejigger my shelves. Fortunately the shelving unit is totally adjustable and I COULD do it, but there's no freakin' way I could afford that size TV! :lol:

... I don't think I would go any bigger, because as Pete says, it fits in the cabinet ...

Yeah, I didn't mention it but if I WERE to go big enough to not lose picture height, I'd have to completely rejigger my shelves. Fortunately the shelving unit is totally adjustable and I COULD do it, but there's no freakin' way I could afford that size TV! :lol:

JDoors:

This TV was $299.99 ay BestBuy - In NH, so no tax ;)

Brian

Look great!

Now you need a 5.1 sound system. :D

heheheh No problem!! The 5.1 Surround Sound System is above the TV on the shelf ;)

Brian

Yesterday, I upgraded the Cable Box in the livingroon to HD, so I am all set as far as that goes - It is clear as a bell and awesome ;)

Brian