My first thing to rule out is the amount of RAM installed. at a minimum you need to be running 512MB. With today's programs seeming to be ram hungry, 1024MB is probably more appropriate

how do i get my computer to run faster

Well if you had just said How do I make my computer faster; I would have said take sky diving lessons and jump out of a perfectly good airplane with it and it will go really fast.

But you want to make it run. This is a bit harder. Since computers do not have legs like androids they have difficulty running.

What we need to know is is your machine infected (hence the hijackthis log request/ suggestion) ?

What specific problems do you have ? (Is it slow to boot up? Slow to launch programs? Slow on the internet? )

What do you have installed and running (what antivirus , what applications again the hijackthis log is very informative.).

What are your specs? What processor - speed , how much RAM , laptop or desktop, onboard video or video card?