Which Window Manager do you use for Linux?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which Window Manager do you use for Linux?

• KDE
    • Gnome
    • WM
    • IceWM
    • WindowMaker
    • FVWM
    • TWM
    • Terminal
    • Other

Those are the WMs I have on my computer (well, except for "other"). Personally I've grown attached to WindowMaker. I'm also curious to know your boot sequence. I start into runlevel 3 and start x/gdm/etc manually, saves time if I don't really need x for what I'm doing. Who needs that "GUI"? :rolleyes:;):P

edit...sorry, i made a mistake: wm and windowmaker are the same thing :rolleyes:

Those are the WMs I have on my computer (well, except for "other"). Personally I've grown attached to WindowMaker. I'm also curious to know your boot sequence. I start into runlevel 3 and start x/gdm/etc manually, saves time if I don't really need x for what I'm doing. Who needs that "GUI"? :rolleyes:    ;)      :P

edit...sorry, i made a mistake: wm and windowmaker are the same thing  :rolleyes:

Right now I'm running KDE 3.2, works well. Before I was using Black Box and Gnome.

Right now I'm bouncing between GNOME and Fluxbox, but I spend more time in the former.

As for booting, my Gentoo box boots into... erm... 'default'... just a second. Ah, runlevel 3. But it starts GDM automatically. I used to boot to the console for the same reason you do, but it turned out I very seldom didn't need X.

My DragonFly box on the other hand still boots to the console, so that I can fix things.

• 1 month later...
I've got KDE set up on my box. :D

I also like KDE, but, for pragmatic reasons. With Black Box and Gnome after a short time I would get strange video artifacts on my monitor. KDE works well with my hardware :D

I also like KDE, but, for pragmatic reasons. With Black Box and Gnome after a short time I would get strange video artifacts on my monitor. KDE works well with my hardware :D

Through my research, I've found many people saying the same thing, hitest. I notice many people saying that KDE seems to be more compatable with their hardware.

Through my research, I've found many people saying the same thing, hitest. I notice many people saying that KDE seems to be more compatable with their hardware.

I think I've read that too some where. I think Gnome may have more dependency issues than KDE.

I think I've read that too some where.  I think Gnome may have more dependency issues than KDE.

Far more. Build GNOME and KDE and few times and you come to appreciate the virtues of Not-Invented-Here syndrome. When KDE needs some functionality, they build it themselves and package it up in the regular distribution. On the other hand, GNOME in it's full glory depends on every damn piece of the software in the known universe.

Edited by jcl
I think I've read that too some where.  I think Gnome may have more dependency issues than KDE.

Far more. Build GNOME and KDE and few times and you come to appreciate the virtues of Not-Invented-Here syndrome. When KDE needs some functionality, they build it themselves and package it up in the regular distribution. On the other hand, GNOME in it's full glory depends on every damn piece of the software in the known universe.

Heh-heh, I thought I remember you saying Gnome was a pain to build in Gentoo. I really like Gnome, but, for my sytem KDE seems more stable. I know KDE is frowned upon by the l337 people, but, it works fine for me.

I noticed you edited your description of the software in your post. I liked the other descriptor :D

Right now, I use whatever was default in Red Hat 9, which I'm 99% sure is GNOME. I have been too scared to try anything else. Most likely I'm going to switch over to Blackbox once I get more not newbie as I use a variant of Blackbox for Windows on Windows.

Heh-heh, I thought I remember you saying Gnome was a pain to build in Gentoo.

And if you think that's bad, try building it without a package system to do the heavy lifting.

I really like Gnome, but, for my sytem KDE seems more stable.

That's been my experience as well. The aesthetics of GNOME are what attract me. Technically speaking, I think KDE is more refined and reliable.

On the other hand, I'm using Enlightenment right now. Make of that what you will.

I know KDE is frowned upon by the l337 people, but, it works fine for me

Eh, I think it cuts both ways. KDE seems to attract fairly sophisticated users. They certainly target those users, what with the infamous four gazillion option control panels.

I noticed you edited your description of the software in your post.  I liked the other descriptor :D

What, the 'bloody software' thing? Yeah, I rolled it around in my mouth for a while and decided I didn't like the taste. I can put it back if you want ;)

Most likely I'm going to switch over to Blackbox once I get more not newbie as I use a variant of Blackbox for Windows on Windows.

You might also look at Fluxbox and Openbox. Both are forks of Blackbox. For what I've seen it looks like development of BB has slowed quite a bit, and the other *boxes seem to be picking up the slack.

Right now, I use whatever was default in Red Hat 9, which I'm 99% sure is GNOME. I have been too scared to try anything else. Most likely I'm going to switch over to Blackbox once I get more not newbie as I use a variant of Blackbox for Windows on Windows.

Yep, in Red Hat 9 the default is Gnome. Red Hat 9 is an excellent version of Linux. I ran it for a year, I enjoyed it a lot. I used Black Box for a little while; it's fast and easy on your resources. Welcome to Linux, man:-)

Heh-heh, I thought I remember you saying Gnome was a pain to build in Gentoo.

And if you think that's bad, try building it without a package system to do the heavy lifting.

I really like Gnome, but, for my sytem KDE seems more stable.

That's been my experience as well. The aesthetics of GNOME are what attract me. Technically speaking, I think KDE is more refined and reliable.

On the other hand, I'm using Enlightenment right now. Make of that what you will.

I know KDE is frowned upon by the l337 people, but, it works fine for me

Eh, I think it cuts both ways. KDE seems to attract fairly sophisticated users. They certainly target those users, what with the infamous four gazillion option control panels.

I noticed you edited your description of the software in your post.  I liked the other descriptor :D

What, the 'bloody software' thing? Yeah, I rolled it around in my mouth for a while and decided I didn't like the taste. I can put it back if you want ;)

Nope you can leave your post the way it is, jcl :D Your original post gave me a good chuckle.

I'm so pleased you've decided to camp out here for a bit and do the heavy lifting when people get stuck.

I'm kind of in a rut right now with Mandrake 10, pleasantly bored. It's stable, but, dull. In the next little while I'm hoping to get a new unit that'll run slack or gentoo.

• 4 weeks later...

personaly i like xfce4 best but have found it alittle buggy (still a great DE) havent tried new vcersion yet, right now i use gnome on my desktop also have fluxbox installed but dont use it and kde base for k3b

on my laptop i only use fluxbox since its only got 64MB's of ram

Just to keep current, I'm now using Xfce on the laptop and Window Maker and Enlightenment on the desktop. GNOME is still my default environment on the latter, but there are now more often than not mutiple users on that machine and GNOME's memory consumption is onerous when only one session is running, let alone two.

Just to keep current, I'm now using Xfce on the laptop and Window Maker and Enlightenment on the desktop.  GNOME is still my default environment on the latter, but there are now more often than not mutiple users on that machine and GNOME's memory consumption is onerous when only one session is running, let alone two.

That's another reason why I mostly use KDE. My computer is old and KDE uses less RAM than Gnome.

That's another reason why I mostly use KDE.  My computer is old and KDE uses less RAM than Gnome.

Whoops, I'd forgotten about KDE. You're right, I do recall it seeming lighter than GNOME. All things considered, that's pretty weird.

Time to fiddle with .xinitrc again.

That's another reason why I mostly use KDE.  My computer is old and KDE uses less RAM than Gnome.

Whoops, I'd forgotten about KDE. You're right, I do recall it seeming lighter than GNOME. All things considered, that's pretty weird.

Time to fiddle with .xinitrc again.

Yes, on my box KDE is markedly faster than Gnome. I like Gnome and it seems that the newer version of Gnome 2.6 in my distro is more stable than what was on my Red Hat 9 box. If and when I get a new PC with more system resources then I'd run Gnome for a bit.

I've run IceWM (it is faster than KDE), but, I guess I like eye candy. KDE 3.2 for me right now. :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I switch back and forth between KDE and Gnome, I am currently running gnome. Kde was acting kind of buggy for me, so I switched back to gnome. The one thing I miss from kde is the klipper(clipboard). It would allow you to copy multiple items , then choose which one you want to paste. I have not found anything like that in gnome, but I have not really looked.