OK. I have become the admin of my SO's sister's two Vista laptops. She is technically illiterate and a magnet for viruses, trogens, malware etc. I've never seen anyone have more computer problems than she does. It's mind boggling.

That being the case I am usually stuck cleaning up her mess on a semi annual basis.

I'd like to try to do routine maintenance using remote access. I have XP Home and she has Vista Home Premium.

I was going to use GoToMyPC, but it's too expensive. Does anyone know if the built in Windows Remote Access is any good? If not, any other suggestions for software?

Thanks,

Joe

I just realized that XP Home (which is what I have) does not support remote access.

I was looking at this as an alternative. Any thoughts?

Edited by irregularjoe
I use this program. they have a great free edition

https://secure.logmein.com/

Looks good, but I don't see any free programs other than trial periods. Is that what you mean?

Thanks,

Joe

OK I found it on a Google search. They seem to hide it on Log Me In's main page. Here it is.

Thanks again, I'm now trying this software.

Edited by irregularjoe

I downloaded Tight VNC and used it within my LAN. Works great.

Here's the problem though. I've been reading up on how to use it over the internet with port forwarding and static ip adresses which apparently is required to run outside of a LAN. I have access to the router and laptops now and can set it up myself, but my "customer" is taking the router and laptops to another location and of course a different ISP. I assume that the router settings would then have to be changed again? There is no way that she would be able to do this herself. Or am I wrong about the router settings changing?

Edited by irregularjoe

you can turn in Remote Desktop in the Vista and under accessories you Microsoft Remote Desktop.. over the internet I would add a VPN for all connects so you need to work that one out. but If I was administering the system.. I would give here a limited user account.

you have to set some permission for MS Remote Desktop to work (Microsoft set permissions and registry keys to keep it from running, but its there and installed.) This is why I do not like MS Vista and Windows 7 strategy.. Sell the same product and make more money..

http://portal.tonychan.org/Default.aspx?ta...amp;EntryID=123

Thank you all for the help.

Terrorist: I really like Tight VNC and am now using it for my network.

Shanenin: Yes I did find the free version of LogMeIn. This is the program I am now using for remote access for her laptops. It works very well, and being that she does not have to do anything other than turn it on, it will save me a lot of grief. It's a remarkable program, and it's free!

iccaros: You are absolutely right. One of the first things I did was create a seperate Admin user account and change all other user accounts to limited.

I password protected the admin account. I also set up WPA on her routers. They were previously unprotected and wide open.

Besttichie Jeff and all forum members: This is just another example of how this website proves to be an extraordinary resource. I have learned so much here from a lot of forum members.

And of course I have had a lot of fun on Open Chat. :lol:

Keep up the good work,

Joe

Edited by irregularjoe