M$ Anti Spyware/m$ Update Glitch

Hello Everyone

First thanks for all the advice in past posts. I’ve learned a lot and appreciate the good advice.

I downloaded the M$ Anti Spyware Beta in Jan, and it has been running well for the past month. When I downloaded the most recent slug of M$ security patches, the M$ Anti Spy could no longer connect with the internet for uupdates. There were a few other strange things going on, so I used system restore to get back to the day B4 the updates.

I’m also running Firefox Browser for all but two websites (access issue), Ewido, Outpost firewall, Spyware Blaster, Spyware Guard, Ad-Aware, Spybot, and AVG free, on XP. All these had internet connection after the security updates….The system generally scans free and clear of malware…

The reason I want to use the M$ Anti Spy is the performance rating by Eric Howes (Uof Illinois) giving it the best rating of anything in his tests. I’ll try to put the link here:

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,17314...3129TX1K0000614

1) Is it secure to just keep my anti spy ware tools in place and skip the MS updates?

2) Would you suggest uninstalling the M$ Anti Spyware, and re installing it, to get the access to the internet, or is there any other suggestions for this scenario?

It didn’t help to read that some versions of the M$ Anti Spyware wiped IE off the hard drive!!

3) During a recent update for Spybot, the new skins for color blind people said “bad checksum†when I tried to install them… does anyone know what that means?

Thanks

Ashwin