Power Outtage Season Returns, In Spectacular Fashion!

A week or so ago we had a short-lived outtage, I wasn't going to bother mentioning it.

Sunday, whoa. We had a six-to-eight inch, heavy, wet snowfall and high winds. I woke up and the power had been out for hours, wound up being out for four hours. Came back on for less than half-an-hour, out again for an hour. Off, then on, then off again. This went on over and over until the afternoon, when the power went out and remained out until nightfall (six hours straight). I had just started to light candles and oil lamps when the power finally came on permanently (permanently is a poor choice of wording, but you know what I mean).

Here we go again! :rolleyes:

I have to say, this has been the most windy season I remember. As I said before, the PowCo began some serious line maintenance in Jan., after several long outages last spring/summer. I mean SERIOUS! There are Davy tree service trucks everywhere! PowCo is even running around replacing poles. It's dang well about time, as the last trimming was cursory at best.

Want to rent our generator? I don't think we'll be needing it for a few years.

We had some serious boomers in the middle of the night. Woke me and the dogs up. They had baseball size hail within fifty miles but we got none just rain and thunder and a lot of wind.

It must have got the power company concerned as this morning I saw lots of inpectors out early taking notes on trees that need trimming before the real spring storms set in. I wish they would do the back alley but I think they consider that the phone companies responsibility.

I too saw crews replacing poles that had a slight lean to them (of course due to location if they fell they would fall in a major six lane highway and cause a real mess so best to block one lane now and replace them than wait for them to fail).

I just hope they actually upgraded the transformers that blew last summer before the heat gets here. For some reason no one thought that when they built 64 new "town homes" down the street that maybe they would need more infrastructure in the neighborhood. Water pressure is piss poor in the morning when everyone showers or evening when they all water their lawns.

I've lived in this house for ~25 years and I STILL have no idea where the powerlines come up out of the ground. I don't SEE powerlines anywere except in the extremely old neighborhoods directly on the riverfront. I assume they must be overhead somewhere as the power goes out every time a butterfly wafts past the lines, but I don't know where that might be.

I have to say, this has been the most windy season I remember. As I said before, the PowCo began some serious line maintenance in Jan., after several long outages last spring/summer. I mean SERIOUS! There are Davy tree service trucks everywhere! PowCo is even running around replacing poles. It's dang well about time, as the last trimming was cursory at best.

Want to rent our generator? I don't think we'll be needing it for a few years.

Best wishes to you, my friend.

I hope that you do not need it any time soon.

I've lived in this house for ~25 years and I STILL have no idea where the powerlines come up out of the ground. I don't SEE powerlines anywere except in the extremely old neighborhoods directly on the riverfront. I assume they must be overhead somewhere as the power goes out every time a butterfly wafts past the lines, but I don't know where that might be.

Well even where they bury the residential delivery lines the high voltage lines to the transformers / vaults are likely above ground. Also most of these where they have underground lines have transformer boxes above ground (green cubes?) for ventilation reasons . Although not as vulnerable as lines in alleys to wind and rain causing branches to short things; they are vulnerable to drunks and drivers who loose control hitting them.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, they concluded that the Tractor Trailer which jack knifed downtown was probably doing 50 or more on a curve that the safe speed was 35 when he slid into a median and lost it.

Saturday morning and still more storms on the way.

Looks like we may be nearing average rainfall year to date.

We got over an inch yesterday . Had to dump the saucers for all the tropicals I moved back out doors last week. Everything is really greening up, lawns, trees, bushes all lush and green.

I was watchin' that storm blow through and it looked pretty strong. We'll be getting some peripheral remnants of that storm tomorrow and the next day.

I somehow forgot about how all that rain is gonna make things look fantastic! Thanks for cheering me up! (My lawn's already lookin' just about perfect -- wonder how long THAT will last?)

Pete, had the news on in the background as I was doing chores and heard a terrible story about a guy (I thought it was in TX), probably drunk, who drove his car into a ditch, killing several kids. I got the impression the bad weather was a factor too. I don't even know what to say.

A 32-year-old Houston man was charged Sunday with four counts of intoxication manslaughter after he veered off the road and into a water-filled ditch, authorities said. Three of his own children and two other youngsters were killed in the crash during Saturday’s thunderstorms.

more here

Possibly the saddest part was that two of the kids were not his, they were his kids friends.

One could have saved himself but his brother could not swim and he would not leave him to drown alone.

Beautiful weather this week. Looks like upper eighties today and ninety tomorrow.

I got out early today (this is brush week) and got the ladders and chain saw and pole pruner out and trimmed up the tree that always grows branches towards the electric and cable drop for my house and then trimmed up the branches towards the street to keep them well back from the lines there.

Got one in the back alley that has a dead limb that I need to get to ; all that runs back there is phone and the phone company does not trim trees so I have to figure a safe way to do it without endangering any phone lines.

We missed that, here in SW, Mich. Liz got pounded, north of here.

Monday: Windy. Occasional rain and possibly a thunderstorm this afternoon. Very warm. High around 80F. Winds SSW at 25 to 35 mph. Chance of rain 70%. Rainfall near a half an inch.

Monday night: Showers and thundershowers early, then overcast overnight with occasional rain. Low 56F. Winds WSW at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of rain 70%. Rainfall possibly over one inch.

Looks like we're in for more. I still can't remember it ever being sooo windy!

... Utility crews have been working to restore power to about 145000 people in southern Michigan who lost electricity ...

Whoa!

We've had several boomers movin' through the area, looks like a drizzly day today too. And, yeah, lot's o' wind. Must be that global warming blowin' in. :rolleyes:

Strong storms moved through this morning; lots of lightning, gusty winds and lots of rain (1.8 inches per hour).

Lights flickered a couple times and two of the dogs tried to hide under my chair and two tried to climb into my lap; the other two realized that it would pass.

On and off this is supposed to continue all week, except thursday .

We are expecting 3-5 inches of rain over Mon-Wed and already got well over an inch.

Noon news has reported lots of broken trees but no major outages.

It's been so dang windy here when I tried to plant some seeds in the planters by the shop I was afraid to lose them. It's raining a nice warm "spring" sort of rain here. No power outages, but then they have just completed a serious line maintenance in this area. The crews have been hard at it since January. I'll bet the "union" guys are smiling, not having to get out in this wet to repair tree damage.

A little "whoopsey": During a lull in the rain I mowed the lawn. I moved the sump pump hose out of the way to finish up the back yard. I forgot to put it back. So, during the last two rains the sump was emptying against the foundation (which then goes to the sump, which then goes through the hose back to the foundation, back to the sump, ...).

I only realized it this morning when the sump was running but it hadn't rained since yesterday night.

Whoopsey!

I've been messin' up a LOT of things lately ... <_<

Things are getting very green here. Had one day off from the rain, just barely . Long enough to spray the yards ( fleas, mosquitoes, those webworm/bagworm things that like to eat your trees etc) more rain due today and tomorrow (another 3 inches) and then two days off before more on Wednesday.

Some flooding north and south (oklahoma border lake texoma and nacoma got about 13 inches of rain as did some areas around houston) but here the street flooding in poorly drained areas or where the drains are plugged is only brief. Still they warn you not to drive into water, no idea how deep it could be.

Big rains here yesterday.

70MPH straight line winds blew down the Cowboys Practice facility ( a three story behemoth that has an indoor air conditioned foot ball field).

http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/wfaa...s.11e43627.html

0502_exteriorground250x141.jpg

We got tons of rain, the back yard turned into a pond with standing water . Half way through the first batch the OL said she heard something screaming in the side yard. I went out in the rain and discovered that the neighborhood feral cat had had kittens and they were on the one dry spot surrounded by six inch deep water screaming desperately as rain poured down and the water rose. Waded out and grabbed em all and we took them in. One was cold to the touch so after drying them off the OL tucked it into her bra to warm up.

I went back out and caught mom ( she is feral remember, been in the neighborhood for a year and never been touched, runs when you try to touch her) which was no easy feat but the alternative would have been to try to hand raise four week old kittens. Made them a nest in my biggest dog carrier (litter box if she can figure out what it is for, towels, food and water for mom). They are all alive this morning and she has calmed down.

Went out to check how the rain was doing and saw a stray pup (if you can call 40 lbs and about six months old a pup still) in the street. Caught him with the help of a neighbor. Looks like he escaped when the storm hit he was terrified. Once he realized he was in an animal friendly place, warm dry and fed he stopped shaking.

No fleas or scars, looks underfed but loved. Very sweet and wants to play all the time (read puppy) since I have six with two still fairly young (3 and 4 years respectively) they have been able to keep up with his energy so far. Still trying to guess his name; the thing he responds to best is "Humpy" so I am stumped as to what his real name is (maybe he thinks I am saying puppy).

Gotta go out and check the neighborhood for "lost dog" signs to see if I can find his people.

Hmm found a neat new site

http://www.wunderground.com/US/TX/Dallas.html

http://printer.wunderground.com/US/TX/Dallas.html

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airpor...eq_statename=NA

Looks like officially we got 1.75 inches of rain yesterday. (EDIT, that was 1.75 inches in the first round of storms; by the time the last got through with us it was a grand total of almost five inches.)

Got some neat storm photos there

http://www.wunderground.com/wximage/viewimages.html

Saw that collapse on the news, terrible, just terrible. Now every time I see storms drifting across TX I wonder how you're doin'. ;)

Aww, kittens and puppies. You're TOO kind! (I don't wanna think about what would have happened if you hadn't ...)

Clear weather for a few days here. Rainiest April on record, rainiest Spring for decades, time for some Sun already! I imagine all this rain means a dry-as-the-desert Summer though. <_<

Radar clear now. I think rain is over until tuesday PM.

Momma cat is black with white boots and mittens.

One kitten (male) is same.

One (male) is black with white socks

One (female) and one (male) solid black.

Yep, the second round of storms left the whole yard totally under water.

Momma cat hunts and catches squirrels (seen her catch one) and rats (just bits of carcasses left) and her first shit could peel the paint off the walls. (Actually used the litter box I had provided; but then not much free space other than that to shit in). Hopefully she will not be too offended by having to eat catfood. Kittens pop and fish a bit when handled but they will learn to like people and dogs.

Gotta contact kittico or similar and see if they have a feral spay program.

Pup would probably have sat there shaking in middle of the street till someone driving to fast and blinded by the rain hit him. Currently sleeping at my feet like all the others. Made one walk through the neighborhood looking for lost dog signs and letting neighbors know that if they spotted someone looking for him that we had him. Contacted the neighborhood petwatch and sent them pictures to email to other members.

Amazingly enough with the incredible storms we had a coupla days ago, there were no power outages, at least none where I went. The worst that happened was there was a lightning strike VERY close to work (I was off that day so I didn't actually see it but friends and co-workers saw it). It caused our door bell to screw up somehow. Now it rings lower and slower. BUT if the door is opened and closed multiple times, it'll get progressively higher and faster until it sounds normal. But after sitting a little bit, it'll go right back.

Man that storm was insane... and I was out driving in it. Couldn't see 10 feet in front of my car at one point. Friggin amazing that there were no outages.