Ok, I got an external CD burner. It is a Samsung SW-252 in a case that converts it to a USB cable. I'm running windows 98SE and when I plug it in, turn it on; It doesn't recognize it.

Any help?

Thanks,

dk

have you loaded the usb drivers for it...? it's been a while but i seem to remember that 98se took some specific steps to successfully load usb device drivers...

also does the new cd burner support 98...??

:blink::unsure:

Yes, on the box it says that it supports 98. I don't know how to load the usb drivers for it. On the box it said that it supported plug & play on 2k and XP, but it will work with 98.

Hmm...

dk

perhaps a visit to samsung's website is in order..?? are there no instructions for usb device drivers in the operating manual.. :blink:

That'll be the best bet. Go look on Samsungs website for drivers, but becareful: Drivers are tricky things. I realized that when I tried to set up my Wireless-B card for my laptop when i installed Windows 2000.....

Umm...I checked there already. There are NO drivers avalible for the device. Also, there is no manual.

dk

where'd you buy this...at a flea market..?? :blink::unsure:

everthing i see on google shows this as an internal drive...??

are you trying to "convert" this in some way..??

i think you need to be more specific about what you've got..and what you're trying to do..

:wacko:

Guess what! I bought this at micro center. This drive in incased in an IDE, and all the crap associated with that, into a USB cable. Well, I found a disk in the box which said : "USB2.0 Storage Series". On the disk was a driver for USB 2.0 HDD Enclosure. Apparently, that was the one that I needed.

But the driver doesn't install, just loads up for 15 min. and then windows recognizes it.

So now I have everything working! YAY. :)

dk :lol: