good to see a linux help board here ive had mandrake for over a year now and ive had a problem installing mandrake and xppro on the same drive

i was told to install mandrake first because xp wont recognise the linux boot up iso

well i done ot both ways and my sys will only recognise one operating sys

c.f.h didnt have this help section so i was difficult to get info.at the moment im using a ten geg hdd with xppro installed and i want to install a 20 geg so i can use both sys.any suggestions

marty

You want to install XP first, Mandrake second.

As you said, XP won't recognize the Linux partition.

By installing Mandrake second, the Linux boot loader (LILO) will be in control.

LILO does recognize NTFS and XP partitions and will transfer boot control to XP.

Use XP to only set up the NTFS partitions you want for it.

Leave some free space for Mandrake to partition for itself.

Once XP is running, you install Mandrake.

Mandrake has partitioning routines that will let you allocate space for it.

From Linuxquestions.org

first to B

THANKS B i just couldnt function properlyyesterday.

to curling steve thanks at one stage last year i had both oses up and running

with a choice of either oses at boot up

but that was on a 4.5 hdd installed by a friend.

but i purchesed a 10 geghdd and a 20geg hdd

so i had to.uninstall the small drive.to put the bigger drives on my sys.

and try to install both xp and mandrake on the present setup.

but as i explained i cant get xp to recognise mandrake boot iso.how ever your post gives me some idea on what to do.which il follow.my Q i can fit both oses on this 10 geg hdd but once installed. i need to install the 20 geghdd.can i use this for storage.and if so how do i partition the 20geg

thanks

marty

You want to install XP first, Mandrake second.

As you said, XP won't recognize the Linux partition.

By installing Mandrake second, the Linux boot loader (LILO) will be in control.

LILO does recognize NTFS and XP partitions and will transfer boot control to XP.

Use XP to only set up the NTFS partitions you want for it.

Leave some free space for Mandrake to partition for itself.

Once XP is running, you install Mandrake.

Mandrake has partitioning routines that will let you allocate space for it.

From Linuxquestions.org

I agree with CurlingSteve.

One note of caution, before you install Mandrake and set-up your dual boot system back-up your data in XP in case the install goes awry and your unit is messed up. Also set-up a system restore point in XP.

Marty:

As far as I know, Mandrake should have no problems with NTFS formatted partitions.

So if you set up your storage partition(s) as NTFS, both operating systems can use it.

Just for sake of good organization you may want to have 3 partitions on the 20G.

One primarily for XP stuff, one for Linux stuff, and one for common stuff.

On second thought...

You could also do this at the folder level instead of the partition level if you want.

That might be better from a flexibility standpoint since you don't need to guess at the space allocation beforehand.

As far as I know, Mandrake should have no problems with NTFS formatted partitions.

So if you set up your storage partition(s) as NTFS, both operating systems can use it.

Linux still doesn't have write support for NTFS though. If you just need to access the partition(s) it's fine, otherwise FAT32 is your best bet.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Linux still doesn't have write support for NTFS though. If you just need to access the partition(s) it's fine, otherwise FAT32 is your best bet.

I have mandrake 10 on a duel boot with xp pro first and the mandrake and it worked like a charm, I split the drive and have a 20 gig partition with xp and like a 18 gig for mandrake on a 40 gig drive ntfs setup...

• 2 weeks later...

hi team i havent been able to get back to this thread for some time how ever ive printed out all the posts so i can follow the instructions.my im pleased with the response .and it will help me so much.

thanks all

marty

you can enable write support in the kernel .. but it may break it.. NTFS is a poor excuse for a FS.. I had a driver for winders that allowed it to read ext2,3 and reiserfs.. its beyond me why MS has decided not to support other filesystem. Its not liek they can't find out how they work like NTFS .

for several days i havent been able to get into my knoppix disk it was displaying an error.

to day i tried it 3 times .

and now i inserted the disk and the knoppix home page came up what ide been trying to get for 3 days.

the mystry is i wasnt on line when i inserted the disk .so does any one think i need to be off line first. then go on line when the knoppiux home page comes up. im on line now so every thing seems to be ok.

this has been frustrating for me and it has made me angry

and so ive been short with some of the posters

which i regret. now i realise most people try to help .

but when there are times we get frustrated.

but just now ive acheived what ive been trying to do for some time now .

so thanks all

marty

On a side note I read at Mandrake's website that Mandrake 10.1 is due to be released in November.  I think I'll try it when it's posted on the mirrors.

hi hitest

i have a spare compt here so ive decided to install mandrake 9.1 on the 4.5 hdd .my Q once mandrake 10.1 is avaiable can i install over the top of 9.1 or do i need to uninstall the old one.

im new to this and i need advice.

also to install mandrake 9.1 on to a drive with another OS

will the mandrake disks allow me to delete the partition of the other OS

or do i need to down load mandrake floppys .and fdisk and format

thanks

marty

hey marty,

glad you made some progress with the knoppix CD

Mandrake CDs are fine for wiping the existing partitions, no need to d/load anything else.

my Q once mandrake 10.1 is avaiable can i install over the top of 9.1 or do i need to uninstall the old one.

I can't answer this with certainty since I'm still new to linux but I generally follow the same advice as windows.....why try to upgrade something, when a clean install is a fresh start....10.x will be able to delete the older version anyway, if thats what you meant.

why try to upgrade something, when a clean install is a fresh start....

Heh. I don't think I've ever intentionally wiped a system that was recoverable unless I was planning to replace it.

ok, I think I stand corrected but could you elaborate...a clean install isn't the way to go with linux?...going from 9.1 to 10.1 isn't like going from win98 to xp?....lol...sorry, I know I'm still a bit windows minded :blink: ....don't mind me ...lol :D

hey tictoc5150

thanks ,ive had these mandrake disks since the days of techtv cfh and tss .so its been a frustrating time for me.

my worry is the stand alone, i aim to put mandrake on.

a 4.5 hdd and 64 megs of ram.and i wondered if this was enough resources .

tho i intend to icrease the ram once i am up and running.

back to knoppix

ive tried to access this cd for over 3 weeks.and it was going through the process of booting then i was getting an error screen .

i was trying to read the error message to send into the forum

then yesterday i inserted the disk i hadnt realised i was off line.

and bingo the knoppix home page came up.and i was in i cant tell you why this happened .ive tried several times and it lets me in off line .so i dont intend to push my luck.

do you think when on line xp aborts the knoppix access.

marty

ok, I think I stand corrected but could you elaborate...a clean install isn't the way to go with linux?

Not a correction, just a preference. It doesn't really matter how you upgrade the system. Lots of people reinstall and don't have any trouble. I try to avoid reinstalling whenever possible and don't have any trouble. Doesn't make any difference in the end.

Should say that the only systems I use are designed for incremental upgrading (*BSD, Gentoo, Debian) and the normal maintenances routine keep you up-to-date with the latest release. Doesn't make much sense to reinstall for each new release of Gentoo when

# emerge sync && emerge -Du world

will have the same effect.

...going from 9.1 to 10.1 isn't like going from win98 to xp?

Hard to think of a Window analogy, but I'd say it's more like going from XP to XP SP2. Or maybe from W2k to XP.