Mobile Banking Safe, At Least For Now

February 15, 2009 9:01 PM PST

Mobile banking: Safe, at least for now

by Elinor Mills

Someone asked me recently whether I thought mobile banking was safe or not. I admitted that I don't do it but that doesn't really say much. Then I mumbled something incoherent and vowed to get a real answer.

After talking to a number of mobile and security experts, I've come to the conclusion that far from being less secure, mobile banking may even be more secure than logging on to your bank Web site over your PC. And the consensus is that it's probably less risky than using checks, which can be forged, and credit cards, which can be stolen or skimmed at ATM machines for clones to be made.

As Bruce Schneier, chief security technology officer at BT, summed it up: "Yes, there are going to be security issues and they will have to shake out. The question is, if something happens will the bank make it up to you?" Apparently it will. The rules regarding liability in mobile banking are the same as they are for other methods of banking, said Jim Van Dyke, president of Javelin Strategy & Research.

"Credit card companies have zero liability policies that apply regardless of channel," he said. For instance, "Wells Fargo has a written guarantee that they will cover all your losses if it is through mobile banking."

CNet News: http://news.cnet.com/security/