Greetings all,

I have some problems with ie7. My ie7 freezes when I hit the drop down menu in the address bar (to visit places I've already got in the address bar). I would like to reinstall ie7 but, I have sp3 installed. When sp3 is installed the ie installer gets removed. I googled the problem, and what I am getting from the reading I have to uninstall sp3 first then uninstall ie7. If anyone can help I sure would appreciate it.

I have run MBAM, SAS, avg, online scan and the system shows clean.

I do not have a microsoft xp home disk.

I have the original emachines disk, but the bios was flashed a few years ago so even that won't help.

thanks for any help you can give,

Pat

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378

If you have Internet Explorer 7, you can repair damaged files or missing registration information in Internet Explorer 7. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Start Internet Explorer 7.

2. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.

3. On the Advanced tab, click Reset.

4. In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, click Reset to confirm.

I would also suggest running system file checker

(go to start / run and type

sfc /scannow

hit enter (note the space after sfc and before /scannow)

Let it check the integrity of your protected system files.

Could try IE8, still beta but due out soon.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/Internet-...ta/default.aspx

Might not be compatible with all sites though.

Thanks Pete,

I'll give it a shot and let you know how I make out.

Thanks,

Pat

Thanks Pete,

It worked. You saved me from taking some Advil. Without your answer I would have had a headache. (from pounding my head on the desk)

Thanks again Pete.

Take care,

Pat

Edited by novi

Doesn't it just make you wish microsoft would do things like everyone else? Make it simple, put in an add/ remove programs entry where you have the option to repair the current installation like everyone else does; or allow you to uninstall the darn thing and do a clean install.

But NNOOOOOOO they have to make it difficult and hide things so they can have one more question on the test.

or let you remove and reinstall.. Oh ya, Windows will not work with out IE, according to the Courts.

I do have firefox as a second browser, I usually only use it when ie has a problem. I just downloaded google chrome last night. It seems to be kind of neat. I'll have to check it out some more. I think I use ie out of habit more than any thing else.

Thanks,

Pat