Yo man you did it it right except for one thing, I can see you clicked on the memory usage and ordered it but could you click it again next time so that the largest numbers are at the top and the lowest ones are at the bottom? That way I can see which programs are taking up the most memory on your computer.

After examining the processes I could see I have found this:

bigfix.exe

It is used to automatically receive and read technical support information provided by computer and software manufacturers and other technical support experts.

Also can automatically check your computer for bugs, configuration conflicts, and security holes. It is a resource hog! Please start it manually.

opwarese4.exe

is a OCR Aware from ScanSoft, Inc. belonging to OmniPage.

You don't need it to run at startup

So if you don't have omnipage scanning software in your computer then you can remove it via add/remove programs.

BJMYPRT.exe

Cannon printer software does not need to be running at startup

aolsoftware.exe

Installed with AOLSoftware it does not need to be running at startup

So from what I see by your taskmanager you need to disable all your startup entries except for AVG.

Here is the new one. Thanks for looking again.

post-2510-1234564824_thumb.jpg

If you do not know about readyboost then you did not enable it.

Basically readyboost allows you to use a fast USB flash drive (thumb drive) to speed up your computer and enhance performance by keeping a copy of things that frequently get moved from the hard drive to RAM because USB flash drives can be read to ram faster than hard drives can be (They are making new laptops now with entirely solid state hard drives which boot up in under thirty seconds. Some day this will be standard probably, the main reason it is not common now is that flash memory is expensive and does not come in as big sizes as hard drives).

Looking at your latest screenshot I would go with the problem being an automatic updater; either windows update or your antivirus automatic update being jammed.

To disable windows automatic update go to control panel => security center =>Manage settings for => automatic updates

Click "turn off automatic updates"

It will give a dire warning and turn on a red shield in your system tray notification area at lower right but that is okay; we are just doing this to find out if it is the problem.

Restart your computer and see if it helps.

If not you can go back and put the check back where it was (automatic , every day)

http://anti-aol.livejournal.com/

Marah Marie is an expert on removing AOL.

Here is her tutorial

http://anti-aol.livejournal.com/tag/how-to:+remove+aol

If you need assistance provide a link to your Hijackthis post or post a new hijackthis log and someone can tell you how to remove its startup entries.

Vista has many "features" which use a lot of memory and cpu and graphics processing power to maintain and they just get worse.

So it is often best to turn off some of the glitz and get things back to normal.

http://www.winmatrix.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13708

This guide tells you how to turn off the most annoying (UAC) and the most demanding (AERO , Sidebar, welcome center, indexing.

So for not I suggest you follow tip 1 disable UAC, tip 3 disable the sidebar (unless you use it ), tip 4 disable AERO,

I just thought of something; is this a laptop??? Or do you have a variable speed processor?

If so, then power management is slowing down the processor to save power or because it thinks you really do not need all that processor speed.

The solution is to go to control panel => power management and change the settings to "always on" and "home desktop"

I seem to remember sp1 causing problems with variable speed and mobile processors by changing the power management settings.

http://www.errorforum.com/microsoft-window...ide-v1-0-a.html

Is a guide to the services being run under those svchost.exe entries you see.

Although that may be a bit advanced and something to deal with after determining what is causing the issue at hand.

Thanks a BUNCH Pete C, Getting the grandkids this weekend, so it might be a bit before I can get back. I printed off all the pages for later. Thanks again, Wanda

I know how that goes; the OL keeps insisting on having them over and rather than one or two max she invites them all and then by the end of the weekend swears she will never do it again.

I have just a little bit to add to Pete's excellent advice.

1. svchost.exe The process that is eating the most memory for you is directly linked with the amount of services you are using. Now it's hard for me to advise you to disable services until I know exactly what your home setup is. Here's some questions to answer:

1. Is your home computer system a network or standalone?

2. Is it a multi-account pc or is there just 1 account

3. What are your processes, for this you'll have to make multiple screencaps. First go to start - then run - then type services.msc

Then Take screencaps of all your services and I can help you disable the ones that you don't need. Also.

2. Indexing feature. Open My computer

Right click your C:\ Drive

Click "Properties"

Uncheck index this disk for faster searching

click apply, when an error comes up click "Ignore all"

3. Another MAJOR Pc hog I see is NetZero's internet "accellerator". I would reccomend disabling this item via disabling the startup entries described above. However if it isn't there in your startup programs odds are that it is an addon onto internet explorer, however first check to make sure it isn't set to startup.

If it isn't I'll walk you through how to get rid of it.

4. Not that I'm saying the cootie checkers did a bad job, but you might have gotten this cootie afterwards.

The exec.exe process is installed if you use NetZero for your Internet Service Provider (ISP). NetZero will allow you free internet access, however in exchange for this service you have to agree to view advertising banners from them whilst surfing the web. This process must be running if you use NetZero for your ISP, otherwise it should be terminated and removed from your system.

So if you do not have an agreement like this with NetZero, then I suggest you remove this process as it is likely severely slowing down your internet access.

I'd ask the cootie checkers about exec.exe to ascertain that you do in fact need this process and it isn't just a Trojan as some sites I've seen suggest.

So that's my advice, and just do what pete said, it's great advice spelled out clearly. However if you had to ask me it's a combo of a bad updater, too many useless services running, and especially exec.exe.

5. I'd also highly recommend switching to Firefox.

I have done everything that Pete said, and I am going to switch to Firefox. It seems to be almost back to where it was on "THE GRAND SPEED" for dialup, but I am having problems getting rid of AOL. It keeps popping up a message that MY AOL SOMETHING,SOMETHING is messed up and I need to restart my pc to fix this problem. I tried following the tutoral that Pete suggested But, I guess I did something wrong. Also the AOL is still in my tray, and it still seems to turn itself on. Just keep in mind that I AM REALLY DUMBO on pc/s so talk to me like I was a 5 year old. Heck they probably know more than I do.

In my computer experiences there are many different ways a program can startup.

If you don't want AOL software just remove it via add/remove programs via the control menu. That's the simplicity of it.

It can either be

1. Registry Loading point that loads in the following Hives:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

2. Shortcut-based startup found in the following location

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR USER NAME\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

3. Service-based startup found in the following Hives:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services

or can be found by going to start - run - and typing services.msc

er

4. Dll based startup attached to another program

but yeah, just uninstall it via add/remove programs in vista's control panel

Run Hijackthis , choose scan and save log and post that log and I will talk you through a manual AOL disable / removal.

Is your problem only with internet connection speed or is it with overall performance?

Which have been improved (connection speed, general performance?) by the changes you have made?

What type of connection to the internet do you have? Dialup or DSL or Cable Broadband?

I just need some clarification on what I am trying to fix.

It is a lot better on general performance and back up to par on connection ( I am on dialup) Can't get anything else for now.

I also went from 1gig of memory to 2gigs. Thanks for helping!! here is the HJ file. I am also going to switch ISP's

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2

Scan saved at 1:38:43 PM, on 2/1/2009

Platform: Windows Vista (WinNT 6.00.1904)

MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16764)

Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:

C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe

C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe

C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE

C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe

C:\Program Files\BigFix\bigfix.exe

C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\OmniPageSE4.0\OpWareSE4.exe

C:\Program Files\Canon\MyPrinter\BJMYPRT.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxpers.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1203538677\ee\aolsoftware.exe

C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe

C:\Program Files\Discover\SOAN\SOAN.exe

C:\Program Files\Free Download Manager\fdm.exe

C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe

C:\Program Files\NetZero\exec.exe

C:\Program Files\NetZero\exec.exe

C:\Program Files\NetZero\qsacc\x1exec.exe

C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE

C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEUser.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\OBroker.exe

C:\Program Files\PopCap Games\Dynomite Deluxe\Dynomite.exe

C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe

C:\Downloads\Software\HJTInstall.exe

C:\Windows\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE

C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

C:\Windows\system32\SearchFilterHost.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://my.netzero.net/s/search?r=minisearch

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://my.netzero.net/s/search?r=minisearch

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.webshots.com/r/internal/start/client/RAND

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.gateway.com/g/startpage.html?Ch...DTP&M=T3604

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://my.netzero.net/s/search?r=minisearch

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://my.netzero.net/s/search?r=minisearch

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.gateway.com/g/startpage.html?Ch...DTP&M=T3604

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://my.netzero.net/s/search?r=minisearch

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://my.netzero.net/s/search?r=minisearch

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = http=127.0.0.1:7900

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = 64.136.44.66;64.136.52.66;64.136.52.70;searchap.untd.com;127.0.0.1;localhost;*mi

crosoft.com;*windowsupdate.com;*wustat.windows.com;*.pogo.com;*test-speed.com;liveupdate.symantecliveupdate.com;*symantec.com;*.nai.com;*.networkass

ociates.com;*.dir.untd.com;cf.netzero.net;qs.netzero.net;*.aolcdn.com;*.quicken.

c

om;<local>

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =

R3 - URLSearchHook: URLSearchHook Class - {37D2CDBF-2AF4-44AA-8113-BD0D2DA3C2B8} - C:\Program Files\NetZero\SearchEnh1.dll

O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx

O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgssie.dll

O2 - BHO: Pop-up Blocker - {52706EF7-D7A2-49AD-A615-E903858CF284} - C:\Program Files\NetZero\qsacc\X1IEBHO.dll

O2 - BHO: Canon Easy Web Print Helper - {68F9551E-0411-48E4-9AAF-4BC42A6A46BE} - C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\EWPBrowseLoader.dll

O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0\bin\ssv.dll

O2 - BHO: Discover deskshop Browser Helper Object - {8DB3D69D-DA5E-4165-B781-72A761790672} - C:\Windows\system32\BhoDshop.dll

O2 - BHO: AVG Security Toolbar - {A057A204-BACC-4D26-9990-79A187E2698E} - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\AVGTOO~1.DLL

O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll

O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - {AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D} - C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\5.0.926.3450\swg.dll

O2 - BHO: Browser Address Error Redirector - {CA6319C0-31B7-401E-A518-A07C3DB8F777} - c:\google\BAE.dll

O2 - BHO: FDMIECookiesBHO Class - {CC59E0F9-7E43-44FA-9FAA-8377850BF205} - C:\Program Files\Free Download Manager\iefdm2.dll

O3 - Toolbar: Easy-WebPrint - {327C2873-E90D-4c37-AA9D-10AC9BABA46C} - C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Toolband.dll

O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll

O3 - Toolbar: ZeroBar - {F0F8ECBE-D460-4B34-B007-56A92E8F84A7} - C:\Program Files\NetZero\Toolbar.dll

O3 - Toolbar: AVG Security Toolbar - {A057A204-BACC-4D26-9990-79A187E2698E} - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\AVGTOO~1.DLL

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -hide

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [bigFix] c:\program files\Bigfix\bigfix.exe /atstartup

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [sSBkgdUpdate] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Scansoft Shared\SSBkgdUpdate\SSBkgdupdate.exe" -Embedding -boot

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OpwareSE4] "C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\OmniPageSE4.0\OpwareSE4.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CanonMyPrinter] C:\Program Files\Canon\MyPrinter\BJMyPrt.exe /logon

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxTray] C:\Windows\system32\igfxtray.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\Windows\system32\hkcmd.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Persistence] C:\Windows\system32\igfxpers.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HostManager] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1203538677\ee\AOLSoftware.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG8_TRAY] C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [secure Online Account Numbers] C:\PROGRA~1\Discover\SOAN\SOAN.exe /dontopenmycards

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Free Download Manager] "C:\Program Files\Free Download Manager\fdm.exe" -autorun

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [NetZero_uoltray] C:\Program Files\NetZero\exec.exe regrun

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [WindowsWelcomeCenter] rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')

O4 - Global Startup: BigFix.lnk = C:\Program Files\BigFix\bigfix.exe

O8 - Extra context menu item: Display All Images with Full Quality - res://C:\Program Files\NetZero\qsacc\appres.dll/228

O8 - Extra context menu item: Display Image with Full Quality - res://C:\Program Files\NetZero\qsacc\appres.dll/227

O8 - Extra context menu item: Download all with Free Download Manager - file://C:\Program Files\Free Download Manager\dlall.htm

O8 - Extra context menu item: Download selected with Free Download Manager - file://C:\Program Files\Free Download Manager\dlselected.htm

O8 - Extra context menu item: Download video with Free Download Manager - file://C:\Program Files\Free Download Manager\dlfvideo.htm

O8 - Extra context menu item: Download with Free Download Manager - file://C:\Program Files\Free Download Manager\dllink.htm

O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0\bin\ssv.dll

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0\bin\ssv.dll

O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: S&end to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll

O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL

O9 - Extra button: Secure Online Account Numbers - {F74E75A5-96BF-40ef-A1C8-88EAEBB82AB6} - C:\PROGRA~1\Discover\SOAN\SOAN.exe

O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll

O13 - Gopher Prefix:

O15 - Trusted Zone: *.netzero.com

O15 - Trusted Zone: *.netzero.net

O16 - DPF: {0E5F0222-96B9-11D3-8997-00104BD12D94} (PCPitstop Utility) - http://utilities.pcpitstop.com/da/PCPitStop.CAB

O16 - DPF: {0EB0E74A-2A76-4AB3-A7FB-9BD8C29F7F75} (CKAVWebScan Object) - http://www.kaspersky.com/kos/eng/partner/d...can_unicode.cab

O16 - DPF: {2D8ED06D-3C30-438B-96AE-4D110FDC1FB8} (ActiveScan 2.0 Installer Class) - http://acs.pandasoftware.com/activescan/cabs/as2stubie.cab

O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{26F9F739-EFB1-4473-A747-025C1D26C0D4}: NameServer = 64.136.44.74 64.136.52.74

O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgpp.dll

O20 - AppInit_DLLs: C:\PROGRA~1\Google\GOOGLE~1\GOEC62~1.DLL,avgrsstx.dll

O23 - Service: AOL Connectivity Service (AOL ACS) - AOL LLC - C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe

O23 - Service: AVG8 E-mail Scanner (avg8emc) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgemc.exe

O23 - Service: AVG8 WatchDog (avg8wd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe

O23 - Service: GoogleDesktopManager - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktopManager.exe

O23 - Service: Google Updater Service (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe

O23 - Service: XAudioService - Conexant Systems, Inc. - C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\xaudio.exe

--

End of file - 10017 bytes

Edited by wra122

Ok, well from this I can determine quite a lot of things.

1. AOL Connectivity Service is one of your startup services. To disable this service go to start - run - type services.msc - right click AOL Connectivity Service and click properties. Change Automatic to Disabled and click apply. Then click stop to stop the service.

Also do the same for the following services:

GoogleDesktopManager

Google Updater Service (gusvc)

2. You haven't disabled all of your startup entries the way Pete suggested.

Go back and disable the following startup entries that are loading:

Bigfix

Windows Defender (MSASCui.exe)

SSBkgdUpdate

IgfxTray

Persistence

HostManager

Secure Online Account Number

Free Download Manager

swg

Then go to your internet explorer. Click View - Toolbar- and uncheck the following:

Status Bar

Easy Web Print

Google

AVG Security Toolbar

Netzero's toolbar

Ok, well from this I can determine quite a lot of things.

1. AOL Connectivity Service is one of your startup services. To disable this service go to start - run - type services.msc - right click AOL Connectivity Service and click properties. Change Automatic to Disabled and click apply. Then click stop to stop the service.

Also do the same for the following services:

GoogleDesktopManager

Google Updater Service (gusvc)

2. You haven't disabled all of your startup entries the way Pete suggested.

Go back and disable the following startup entries that are loading:

Bigfix

Windows Defender (MSASCui.exe)

SSBkgdUpdate

IgfxTray

Persistence

HostManager

Secure Online Account Number

Free Download Manager

swg

Then go to your internet explorer. Click View - Toolbar- and uncheck the following:

Status Bar

Easy Web Print

Google

AVG Security Toolbar

Netzero's toolbar

I am TRYING my BEST to follow his advice. On startup ( Big fix,Persistance, Host manager,swg,IgfxTray) is NOT in the list.

And I have NO IDEA how to get to internet explorer. I also tried to and thought I did disable AOL. Thanks

I do not advise using MSCONFIG; the big issue is that as you can see with AOL many applications have more then one entry , not just the 04 startup entry but an 023 service entry , and maybe an 020 appinit dll entry and winlogin entries etc etc ets.

Disabling one component and leaving the others running can be problematic at best, often causing slowdowns as one component which is still running checks to see if the other which it expects to have been loaded has started up yet so it can complete a task it was supposed to do.

So lets start at the top.

I see you have both google toolbar and netzero toolbar. It is doubtful that you actually need and use both and often having two toolbars will cause problems. Not only that but you have two things you may not even use constantly checking for updates; not a good thing when all you have is dialup.

I would go to control panel => add / remove programs and uninstall one , the other , or both (if it were me I would uninstall both).

If they don't have uninstall options there use Toolbarcop

Instructions for using it here

http://www.winhelponline.com/tbchelp.htm

Download here

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/toolbarcop.html

Next item I see is BigFix. IT was a great idea when they came out with it; but never lived up to the potential . Especially with just dialup it is not worth the bandwidth and cpu cycles it takes up. Go to control panel => add/ remove programs and uninstall it.

Instead of msconfig I prefer to use a proper startup manager which will give you better control of things. I prefer CodeStuff Starter

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/starter.html

Download and install and run

Choose the startups tab

Remove the check by the following entries if you do not use this particular item every time you use your computer

*[bigFix] c:\program files\Bigfix\bigfix.exe /atstartup (if you did not uninstall it)

* Global Startup: BigFix.lnk = C:\Program Files\BigFix\bigfix.exe

See not bad enough that they run it once, they run it twice; just in case you find and disable the first one.

I would uninstall it.

*[sSBkgdUpdate] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Scansoft Shared\SSBkgdUpdate\SSBkgdupdate.exe" -Embedding -boot

*[OpwareSE4] "C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\OmniPageSE4.0\OpwareSE4.exe"

*[CanonMyPrinter] C:\Program Files\Canon\MyPrinter\BJMyPrt.exe /logon (you will still be able to print, the driver is loaded when windows detects the printer. This is just the extra fancy interface with ink levels etc which comes up when you print.)

*[igfxTray] C:\Windows\system32\igfxtray.exe (Lets you change your display properties from system tray. Not needed for your computer to run)

*[HotKeysCmds] C:\Windows\system32\hkcmd.exe (lets you specify hot keys to perform certain operations within certain programs . Do you use it? Have you actually configured any?

*[Persistence] C:\Windows\system32\igfxpers.exe (another fancy interface to let you change your video card settings)

*[HostManager] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1203538677\ee\AOLSoftware.exe (this is one of the AOL items you want to disable. Or if you want it gone , select it on the startups tab and while it is highlighted press the delete button and it will be permanently removed. Or just uncheck it to disable it if you think you may go back to AOL)

* [Free Download Manager] "C:\Program Files\Free Download Manager\fdm.exe" -autorun (why have it run all the time? Are you constantly downloading things? If you need it launch it)

* [swg] C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe (You know what this does? It sits there running all the time to make sure you do not change the search in Internet explorer from Google to something else. Well you would notice if it changed wouldn't you ? Why have this running? Just uninstall the google toolbar or disable this)

This is the netzero advertising banner / adware . If you have netzero free internet (or juno free since they merged to form United Online internet services) then you need this . If you switched to something else, disable uninstall , delete..

[NetZero_uoltray] C:\Program Files\NetZero\exec.exe regrun

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [WindowsWelcomeCenter] rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')

First try this approach

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...debar-in-vista/

If that does not allow you to turn these off; use starter to turn em off. No need for them to keep running.

This new "feature" is one reason I advise against AVG and prefer avast. It significantly slows down internet even for broadband users and should not be used on dialup

O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgpp.dll

http://free.avg.com/faq.num-1241

Disabling AVG Search-Shield

While browsing web, you may receive a warning from AVG Search-Shield. This component is scanning the websites you are searching for, and provide protection against threats within malicious or hacked websites.

If you have installed AVG Toolbar, you can control this component directly from your Internet browser using the button Search-Shield. Disabling this button will stop scanning of the search results in Google, MSN and Yahoo!, and also the scanning of Internet addresses (URL's) you enter into the web browser (either manually, or by clicking on a link on any website, in an e-mail, etc.).

In case you are not using the AVG Toolbar, you can disable the AVG Search-Shield in AVG User Interface - double-click on the LinkScanner component - un-tick the option "Enable AVG Search-Shield".

How to disable the AVG add-on in my Internet Browser?

AVG 8.0 Free Edition contains a plugin for scanning of search results in Google, Yahoo and MSN search engines. This plugin (AVG SafeSearch) is designed for MS Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox Internet browsers. If you would like to disable it kindly proceed as follows:

1. Internet Explorer:

* Run Internet Explorer.

* Choose the Internet Options from the Tools menu.

* Switch on the Programs tab.

* Click on the Manage add-ons button.

* Select the AVG Safe Search add-on.

* Tick in the Disable option at the bottom of this window.

* Confirm changes by clicking on the OK button.

* Close Internet Explorer and run it again.

2. Mozilla Firefox:

* Run Mozilla Firefox.

* Choose the Add-ons option from the Tools menu.

* Select the AVG Safe Search add-on and click on the Disable button.

* Close Mozilla Firefox and run it again.

=========================

O23 - Service: AOL Connectivity Service (AOL ACS) - AOL LLC - C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe

Go to start => Run

(or hit the windows key and R key to open run box)

type

services.msc

hit enter

Scroll down to "AOL Connectivity Service"

select it and double click it to open the options.

Click "stop service"

then change the dropdown menu for startup behavior from "automatic" to "Disabled"

apply and restart your computer.

Alternatively if you want it totally gone copy the following into notepad

@echo off

sc stop AOL Connectivity Service

sc delete AOL Connectivity Service

sc stop AOL ACS

sc delete AOL ACS

Click file => save as

Save it as "remaol.bat"

with the quotes as the file name

all files as the file type

desktop as location.

Double click the file you see on your desktop remaol.bat

you may see a black window pop open and closed this is normal.

Restart your computer and it should be gone. You can now delete the file remaol.bat

*Note if you do choose this permanent removal I advise you to use code stuff starter to delete the entry

*[HostManager] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1203538677\ee\AOLSoftware.exe

Or you can run hijackthis, chose main menu, perform a system scan only , put a check by the entry

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HostManager] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1203538677\ee\AOLSoftware.exe

and click "fix selected"

This will permanently delete it too.

How to disable the AVG add-on in my Internet Browser?

AVG 8.0 Free Edition contains a plugin for scanning of search results in Google, Yahoo and MSN search engines. This plugin (AVG SafeSearch) is designed for MS Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox Internet browsers. If you would like to disable it kindly proceed as follows:

1. Internet Explorer:

* Run Internet Explorer.

* Choose the Internet Options from the Tools menu.

* Switch on the Programs tab.

* Click on the Manage add-ons button.

* Select the AVG Safe Search add-on.

* Tick in the Disable option at the bottom of this window.

* Confirm changes by clicking on the OK button.

* Close Internet Explorer and run it again.

How do I get to Internet Explorer?? I am REALLY trying to do everything you say, but at times I need specific guidance. I already ran the MSCONFIG, will that be a problem? Thanks for being SO PATIENT!! won't do ANYTHING else, UNTIL I hear from you.

Edited by wra122

Internet Explorer is the big blue E you double click when you want to go online.

Of course netzero may automatically launch it when you run their application to connect.

Do not worry about it if you used msconfig. I really prefer that people use code stuff starter over msconfig because as you have probably noticed some startup entries do not show in msconfig startup list; they exist elsewhere . But they will show up in the list in code stuff starter.

This helps cut down on the risk of partially disabling something and making things worse rather than better.

Thanks Pete C. I did go ahead and do the prefetch, and I did the code stuff stater. I also did the copy and paste to the notepad for AOL, ( GUESS WHAT) IT IS GONE!! Thanks again for all your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My pc seems to be ok now.

That is good to hear.

Remember it never hurts to ask; there is no such thing as a stupid question. At one time or another all of us have been where you are; sometimes we forget that fact and sometimes we need to be reminded to explain things in a simple manner or take the time to write up a script or batch file to do the job rather than trying to explain how to accomplish a complex task.

So do not hesitate to ask; and be patient there is rarely a single correct solution or approach and often you will get two or three different expert opinions on how to accomplish the same thing. Use whichever feels most comfortable to you . The computer should be a tool you like to use and feel comfortable with not something intimidating which you are scared you will break.

gee pete

reading your replys

is like i used to ask

when i started to post

at techtv

and you havent lost your touch

i still have cds with your fixes

and when ime in trouble i always refer to them

so wra122

is in good hands

good stuff pete

marty