So I'm totally new to overclocking and I really don't want to try and search for stuff on my own because I'm not sure how reliable the other sources are. So I was wondering if maybe you guys have a guide or something to experiment with overclocking, and if it really helps at all and how high the risks are thanks.

The risks are far higher than the rewards. You are pushing your computer to it's limits waiting for it to break. Why? A faster machine won't make you a better gamer, and there really isn't any other reason to to overclock. No matter what anyone says, overclocking stresses components to a short life. Just like running your car at red-line all the time.

actually, the reason why i wanted to overclock was because i downloaded this movie in like blueray but It doesnt play right, like it lags and the audio is off from the picture and when i bring up task manager my cpu is running at 100% nonstop i thought myabe if i overclocked it for like two hours would get me through the movie lol. But of course after reading it looks like overclocking my cpu is more work than the reward. XD

But of course after reading it looks like overclocking my cpu is more work than the reward. XD

You hit that nail square and flush. No movie is that good to risk sending your CPU to Microprocessor Hades.

Overclocking is now mostly a hobby than a need these days. what with the advances in hardware only the most hardcore would even see a boost.

Not sure if you would with the movie.

In recent years (correct me if I'm wrong) AMD has locked clock speed to avoid seedy custom PC builders from selling units with cheaper Processors as faster units.

Not sure if INTEL has done the same.

You would mostly benefit more from resouce management with programs like Process Explorer v11.33 http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb896653.aspx

Also not impling anything but are you sure the DL'd file is not corrupt? Esspecially if it it is pirated stuff inwhich case you are lucky you see it at all or that a worm is not chewing it's way through sys. files.

You never gave the specs on your Machine you may never be able to Play such rich media on a old unit.

Preston

Edited by rhema7

The 100% CPU usage could be from other factors, such as compensating for lack of RAM or GPU capabilities.

First - Is your computer home built or big brand? If it's big brand, cross over clocking out.

2nd - What are your computer's specs? If your computer can't play a movie, I doubt overclocking will help.

Also, is the movie in blueray quality? If so - damn - how long did that take to download?

Anyway, try a different media player. You could also convert the video into a lower quality format.

You also need to update your video drivers. That could be part of the problem.

Goodluck.

mmm, the movie took me about a half a day to download and its approx 1.45g so not that big. mm as for my specs ill try and post them

specs.jpg

edit: btw i was fiddling with my ram and now its at 100Mhz?? did i do something wrong shouldnt it be operating at 200? since thats what the packaging said. Its a corsair XMS 2gb 184pin pc3200. annd my computer is a mix i bought a new botherboard power supply graphics card and ram the rest was salvaged from a storebought

Edited by Yamo

I'm sorry I made a mistake that was the one i was able to watch 1.455g 720p the one that lagged me up was 2.2g 1080p the 720p was still labeled at bluray and ill admit the picture was really nice compared to the the usual. The movie is 1hr long. i have CCCP and i just downloaded the new nvidia drivers. I dont think my audio codecs or anything should be off. Plus I deleted the 2.2g so I cant really test any new settings out :/. downloading that big of a file at dl speeds around 100kb/s takes forever. My hd isn't that big so i deleted it 2.2g is alot of space and it was worthless since i couldn't watch it.

Edited by Yamo

Your system is a tad old and overclocking isn't going to help much. Most people that overclock do it with high end systems that have motherboards made to overclock and they do it to break benchmark records or squeeze out a few FPS out of Crysis or what have you.

I'm bettin the file you are trying to play is a 1080p .mkv or .mp4 (h.264) which demands quite a bit a power. You're just gonna have to go with some new hardware to handle that. I know my old Athlon 64 3500+, nForce4 SLIx16, GeForce 7600GT systems plays 720p stuff fine but I bet it'd have trouble with 1080p. I've never tried on it cause I already had my Athlon X2 6000+, nForce 590 SLI, GeForce 8800GT by the time I had any to try.

Also a question. What video card do you have? Cause a lot of newer GPU's offload H.264 decoding from the CPU.

your trying to watch a video with h.264 encoding which at high res, is processor intensive. newer video cards have the ability to take over the h.264 decoding work from the processor. Your 6600GT if I remember correctly does NOT do that so the work is all left up to the processor which cannot handle 1080p h.264 encoded video.