here is my dillema

the background: my computer froze while it was trying to read a cd in the drive, and i shut it down (i guess that was a bad idea...)

the diagnosis: my computer is now reading my cdrom drive as the primary master and the c drive as the primary slave. how can i get my computer to switch these?? my best guess is to unplug the cdrom drive and startup my computer..? this has happened before and someone fixed it, but i don't know what they did or what i should do..?

phoenix awardbios cmos setup utility v6.00pg

windows xp pro

samsung cdrw/dvd

.. i didn't bring the other info on my computer, but if you need anything else just let me know and i'll get that

thanks a ton!!

Are the two devices physically connected to the same IDE channel? If so, utilize the second IDE channel (if you have one). Attach hard disk drives to the primary IDE channel and optical drives to the secondary IDE channel.

Devices at the end of the IDE ribbon are usually considered "Master", whereas those in the middle are considered "Slave". If you use the cable select jumper setting on your drives you do not have to worry about which position you attach to. However, if you specify "Master" or "Slave" in the jumper settings then you have to attach them to the correct position.

Next, you should check your BIOS to see that the drives are being detected correctly and in the proper configuration. In the case where they are not, you may want to reset the BIOS settings to defaults. Additionally, make sure that your boot device priority is configured correctly, provided you BIOS allows you to manually manipulate this.

i had the same problem when i posted

some one suggested i put the pin and the ide ribbon in the master [end of the ide ribbon]

and the on the slave the pin on the slave position\

and the slave in the middle of the ide ribbon

marty