Video Editor For Linux?

thanks for the link Gwyrox732 but I'm almost ashamed to say that it was much easier to get the drivers for xp to view ext3 partitions, copy the files and use the existing tools I have and am familiar with in windows....I might've given up a little early on this one...oh the shame! :ph34r:

yes .. remember .. windows can kill you ext partation as its is not Native to its kernel.

Im using kdenlive http://kdenlive.sourceforge.net/..

shame ..shame ..shame.... :(..

good luck:)

Hi iccaros,

Thanks for the paranoia... :D

So you're saying that I'm taking a big risk in using the driver found here?

I've used the driver without problems on previous versions of Mandrake and until I make the big switch from dual-boot to dedicated linux machines, this sure saves me some headaches.

Some say the same about reading an NTFS partition from linux since it's not native to the kernel but I haven't had any problems with that either....I would think, as long as it's read only access, there wouldn't be a risk but what do I know...lol

I've tried kdenlive but it doesn't seem to be working right...could be me just being a newb.

thanks for the response.

"NTFS partition from linux since it's not native to the kernel"

NTFS is native to the linux kernel.. it under /driver/ filessystems/ntfs,ntfs-read-only,ntfs-write,ntfs-secuerity

I have found that when windows uses a ext2/3 drive there is lots of room for error just in the way MS handels file systems.. I had a power outage and MS wrote somthign to my ext3 partition that made it unreadable.. It a warning.. As I only have a single MS box at home (my MAME arcade and it also is my xbox tunnel to play online) I don't use any.. when I had a dual boot at work before VMWARE I had problems with the ext3/2 drivers as most were written fast to give some usefulness. while the NTFS drivers in Linux have been worked on for a long time.

now I run Linux at work adn use vmware for winders if I need it (check voice mail is the only reason I know)

plus I did not find a ext driver on the page?

NTFS is native to the linux kernel.. it under /driver/ filessystems/ntfs,ntfs-read-only,ntfs-write,ntfs-secuerity

ok, thanks for clearing up my misconception on that.

when I had a dual boot at work before VMWARE I had problems with the ext3/2 drivers as most were written fast to give some usefulness.

I'm not sure how long this driver has been in development but I know from use that it has been around for a couple years and hasn't given me any problem, that I know of anyway... and it does provide some serious usefulness til I make the big switch to dedicated machines (which will be very soon)...I'll consider myself warned on the matter, so thanks....one of the first things I learned as a winderz user is back-up regularly (learned the hard way, of course!) and that has carried over to my linux use...that'll minimize any nightmares I may encounter :D

the funny part about this thread is that I've removed the original issue of needing to split the files by installing a new DVD burner and don't even really need the driver now :D

• 2 weeks later...

Its good you back up because all OS can loose data.. but this is a method I use on linux to make it simple.. I only back up my home partition.. Yes partition.. I keep /home as a partition.. that way any courption of Home or / will not kill the other. plus It easy to do a bit by bit inage and then dd the partition back from any systme even windows (rawwrite in windows). also My backups are smaller.. no need ot back up the OS . We have install disk for that .. and in Gentoo applications are only a emerge away. I do back up things like smb.conf, scane.conf and cups.conf.. I hate reconfiguering these..