Got a project I'm working on and would like to have some HP owner's input's.

Really anyone's for that matter.

1st. off the MOBO is A7V-ML (rev. 1.08) , HP say's it's a Lanai MOBO. Has anyone heard of Lanai? Googled it and found nothing much.

2nd, Audio is said to be "AC97". I need Driver's for it for Win. 2K. There not avail on the HP site?

I'll bring this project up now and then if it generate's any interest.

jimmyd

Got a project I'm working on and would like to have some HP owner's input's.

Really anyone's for that matter.

1st. off the MOBO is A7V-ML (rev. 1.08) , HP say's it's a Lanai MOBO. Has anyone heard of Lanai? Googled it and found nothing much.

2nd, Audio is said to be "AC97". I need Driver's for it for Win. 2K. There not avail on the HP site?

I'll bring this project up now and then if it generate's any interest.

jimmyd

AC97

latest sound driver...3.68

can't help with the mobo.. :blink::ph34r:;)

Well still no Ram ( another stick supposedly on the way). also no luck on Video driver's. Guess I'll try a video card, and see if that will work. Trying not to get to much tied up in this project but I'm lazy at the same time LOL.

Until next time, jimmyd

Well still no Ram ( another stick supposedly on the way). also no luck on Video driver's. Guess I'll try a video card, and see if that will work. Trying not to get to much tied up in this project but I'm lazy at the same time LOL.

Until next time, jimmyd

or, maybe, find out the socket for the CPU, and get a cheap motherboard for it with onboard video from a reputable manufacturer.

Well got an extra 256MB of Ram in it and added a few program's & utilitys. It's running good and guess that about finishes it up.

Not going to use the Video card i've got coming, will just leave it on the onboard vid. ( it's pretty good ).

The only thing I'm not happy with is the "cooling". The machine has a fan on the CPU ofcourse and the PSU. The cooling fan on the rear of the unit blow's in and has duct work directing the air on the CPU. So that leaves NO exhaust fan (except PSU) to get the hot air out ???

Got a couple of fan's but can't find any where to put one .

I've never seen this arrangement?

I wonder if I should reverse the ext. fan and remove the ducting?

Any idea's ?

jimmyd

Hi jimmyd

You can try to reverse that fan setup if you like, it should cause no problems. Since the CPU chip already has a heatsink and fan it should be just fine and with the extra air exhausting out, that will cool it some more. You can use a utility like Sisoft Sandra to monitor the CPU temp.

If the chip does shut down from thermal overload, it's probably enough to get a better heatsink and fan for it. Intel chips do have a good thermal overload protection and will shut down well before any damage is done. I have not done any reading on how AMD is doing with their's but I'm sure they've made improvemants to it.

A few years ago AMD did have a thermal diode in the chip but no AMD supported MoBo's had the ability to use it so overheating was a major, usually fatal issue.

With the extra air exhausting out you must make sure that your air intakes are clean and of sufficient size so as not to create a large negative pressure inside the case. A slight negative is fine but if you plan to add another fan still yet, this one will be needed to blow into the case.

One last thing of note, make sure this duct is not directing air at the Chipset and not the CPU. If it is the chipset...don't reverse it without making sure you put adequate cooling back to the chipset heatsink.

Dave

Dave , thank's for some good info. I'll double ck. everything , I'm guessing the fan blowing in is to do as you suggest " not cause Neg. pressure". Looking at it closer , it appears that some of the air being ducted also is applied to the chip-set. So that mean's that , I'd better leave it alone. jimmyd

Ran some test's last night, on the cooling.

1) duct work OFF, side cover OFF=

Mobo=73 (F)

CPU = 117/118 (F) ^118 under load.

Aux. = 73 (F)

HDD = 79 (F)

2) duct work ON, sidecovers ON=

MOBO=73 (F)

CPU = 109/113 (F) ^to 113 under load.

Aux. = 72 (F)

HDD = 84 (F)

Both Fan's inc/dec by about 200rpm to maintain the temp, depending on the CPU activity.

Are these CPU temp's pretty normal for an AMD CPU ???

jimmy

• 3 weeks later...

Recieved an E-Mail, saying some one had a ques. on the XT926. Can't find the individual on the Forum so , I'll answer in the dark.

Ques. was, Did you get XP on the Machine ?

Ans. No but could have easily done it. I had 2k on it and a lot of program's installed and was to lazy to re-install all of them . So I left 2k on it and it run's great.

If you want XP, put the HDD in another machine and start the install and shut down at the point the install want's to re-boot. Put the HDD back in the XT926 and re-install XP.

Hope this help's. jimmyd

P.S. Any ques. get back to me here