Howdy Folks.

Could someone point me towards where the good Laptops are kept? Looking for an affordable, Windows based Laptop. Something in the $800 area.

I was leaning towards Toshiba... Probably because that was the last brand of Laptop I used... Do they still make laptops with the nubs in the center of the keyboard? Been a while...

What are the good brands these days? Best Prices? Etc

EDIT -

Additional Info -

Looking for a small, portable system. 15.4in screen is my preference. Need good cpu/ram. Graphics are not important. Need good battery life...

Edited by Bubba Bob

I recommend you buy my laptop for $500 :P Nah. I've been trying to get rid of my new one (yes the NEW one) cause it disappointed me some and some other little things. Couldn't decode HD 720p H.264 video using CCCP codecs quickly enough to play video correctly (lagging video), hour and a half battery life, MS Office 2007 Ultimate couldn't be activated (my license limits me to one desktop and one laptop and it was already registered to the old laptop), and the gloss exterior annoyed the living crap outta me (fingerprints EVERYWHERE).

I've liked my HP/Compaq's just not the newest one. It's biggest faults were due to the processor though(Athlon X2 QL-62). At this point, I will probably not buy nor suggest AMD anymore unless they get their act together. I've heard of better performance and battery life out of newer Turions but still, there just isn't an excuse for that Athlon being outperformed by a Celeron 440M in HD 720p H.264 video decoding. Also, a year and half old laptop getting better battery life with it's OEM battery and an even older battery out of an older laptop (2 and half years old) is also messed up. I just don't see how a lower end processor can get such catastrophically bad battery life (this is reported by more than just me).

OK rant over

I suggest either HP/Compaq or Toshiba. The one I'm lookin to get as a replacement for the piece I bought is a Toshiba using an Intel Pentium Dual Core (it's essentially a reworked Core 2 Duo) and it has great ratings on Newegg. Stay away from AMD Athlon X2 QL processors. I would stick with newer Turions if you went AMD but by now, I'm leaning towards Intel as much as it pains me to say that.

I personally do not like Dells considering the utter piece of garbage my friend's Dell was. It was poorly made, poorly laid out, and the battery lost all ability charge after only 2 years.

PS, I bought that new Compaq cause I broke my old Compaq's LCD. Spent $633 on it, then turned around and paid $100 for replacement LCD for the old one. Shoulda done that to start but no. I HAD to have a new laptop. <_<

Thanks for the reply's folks.

I realized it wasnt Toshiba with the nub in the center of the keyboard... it was IBM. Which is now Lenova... Now, Ill be using the laptop as that... a portable computer. I havent been real thrilled with the build quality of any consumer laptops Ive scene (flimsy). So, Ill probably go with the "Business" version of what ever I get.

So... Im comparing the Dell Latitude, HP's Business Notebooks, and the IBM/Lenova Thinkpads.

I never see the Thinkpads anymore. Any reason for that? Seems like they used to be the best. And they are very competetivly priced compared to Dell/HP, and supposedly the build quality is better? Anyone have any experience with the Thinkpads?

I wouldn't knock consumer models. My older Compaq has been slung around and had the crap knocked out of it, and it still runs like a champ. I broke the LCD by dropping a the metal side panel off a tower on it (corner hit it I think) so I think that'd take out the LCD on any laptop. After replacing the the LCD though, it's still chuggin along.

And why do you want the little stick mouse. I used to think they were better but really, touch pads to me are the way to go once you get used to them. Plus they can click by just tapping the pad.

the dell latitudes are nice looking laptops. I like the look of the d620. I am not sure, but I think most of the latitude line come with a three year warranty standard. I may be wrong on that, you might want to verify that.