Pages Slow To Load Or Close

I am running MS XPsp3 on a Compaq M2000 Laptop, w/AMD sempron LV , 40 GB hard drive with 25.9 free space, 224 MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM,ATI Radeon Xpress 200M Video Adapter. I have recently noticed that pages are slow to load and very slow to close pages(tabs). When surfing I will quite often have 3-4 tabs open. Tabs used to snap closed and now are very slow to close. I just ran an ESET online scanner and it found nothing. I run Superanti Spyware and Malwarebytes anti Malware. I have Spyware Blaster running and Win Patrol. I use Avast anti Virus program. Can anyone give me some advice about getting some of my speed loading and closing back? I also run CCleaner regularlly.

Chief

I also run CCleaner regularlly.

Chief

Well, there's your problem.

Actually it almost does sound like an issue with a "clean temp internet files when closed" and a setting related to checking the cached copy of the page before opening the new one.

It almost sounds like you have CCCleaner to clean your tracks and this is interfering with the browser (slowing things down as things have to wait while cccleaner deletes the file)

Of course it could be another case of cccleaner deleting a registry entry it should not have.

Hey Pete,

Thanks for the answer but ccleaner only runs when I do the cleaning manually. As I under stand the operation it does not delete anything while something else is trying to load. As for deleting a registry entry I did not think that ccleaner deleted anything in the registry. I have used it for several years to clean out temp files because it seems to do it easier and quicker than just using microsoft's way to do it. Tell me where I am wrong. And is there a way to tell if a registry entry is missing?

It may be a hardware issue, I would recommend adding at a minimum an additional 256mb(512 would be better) of Ram. I have seen computers that were severely ram deficient not able to load web pages, they would time out. As of today, newegg has a free shipping deal, you can get an aditional 256mb for $9.99. Even if that is not causing the problem, it will adb a huge performance gain to the pc. It will run like a night and day difference. You have a good computer, but even the best computer without enough ram will run slow. It will be the best $9.99 you ever spent.

Properly used CCleaner should not cause a problem. The only time it can mess up your system is when you use the Registry clean option. Always make sure you select yes for backup. I run both CCleaner and ATF Cleaner.

I would say that after keeping up with the newest updates that 256MB of RAM is inadequate.

I would run System File Checker (sfc /scannow) to verify your files and registry are fine.

If you are using IE7 there could be a problem with the phishing filter. http://support.microsoft.com/ph/8722

ok. Started to run system file checker and after it had run for a few minutes it wanted the cd-rom for XP Home Edition. I put my CD in the CD-ROM and I got a message The CD you provided is the wrong CD. Please insert the Windows XP Home Edition CD-ROM into your drive. When I clicked retry it said that it was either the wrong CD or the Drive was not working.. I know that the CD is the right one so how do I check the drive for proper use? Or is there another way to check the files?

I searched for the I386 folder and it showed about 10 files but they were all empty. Then went to the sfc instructions and when I look for the C:WINDOWS\System32\Dllcache I receive a message that this is not a valid folder.

I now need to get myCD-Rom drive working so I can use my disk. Can someone help or should I go to HP Support?

Hey, I looked at that slipstream deal and wasn't sure I could handle that.

Went to HP Support and chatted with a technitian, he said that I had a missing file in the registry and told me instructions to take care of it. It seemed to work because now my cd-rom works. With it working I ran sfc and when it asked for the disk I inserted it and it ran thru with what sounded like(I couldn't be sure, but it sounded like the cd-rom started several times) repairing several items. It ended without telling me anything. So Now I will see if my pages open and close any sooner. I will getback and let you know after doing some time on this laptop.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey,

I have using ATF cleaner and have uninstalled all unneeded programs and tried to clean up anything that I know how and I am still experiencing very slow page apening and closing compared to what it was some time ago. Can anyone give me any other ideas on how to speed up my computer.

I have DSL at my home, but am in Florida now on vacation and have to be on Earthlink dial-up.

This is slow to download email and other internet pages as expected. But my pages are very slow to close and open when I am not on the net. Help.

XP users should consider disabling Windows' indexing service, a system hog

of little practical value. Go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools,

Services, and scroll down to Indexing Service. Double-click it, and set

Startup type to Disabled.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The following program is free and I have already downloaded it and going to give it a try on my old computer which is very slooooooooowwwwww!!

Start up delayer ....

Nobody likes getting stuck in traffic. But that's exactly what happens when

a Windows PC boots: All the startup programs try to run at the same time,

resulting in a kind of software traffic jam. What you need is a traffic cop,

an application that lets programs start up one at a time, at designated

intervals.

That's Startup Delayer in a nutshell. The free app helps you set delays for

other programs, easing startup congestion so your PC boots faster. Begin by

reviewing the list of startup programs to see which ones can wait. Google

Update, iTunesHelper, and LightScribe Control Panel are examples of good

candidates: They don't need to run the moment your system starts. To set a

delay for a program, drag it to the white bar at the bottom of the Startup

Delayer window. You'll see a line representing the program; drag it left or

right to decrease or increase the delay. Repeat for other apps as desired,

but stagger them by at least a minute.

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,...escription.html

I have kept cleaning out old programs, etc and my pages are running better. I found another problem today. When I click on favorites, organize, I get the window but the list does not populate, only a small box at top left with an x in it. right clicking box does not open it. Has anyone seen this problem or know of a solution? Using XP SP3 with all updates.

I have kept cleaning out old programs, etc and my pages are running better. I found another problem today. When I click on favorites, organize, I get the window but the list does not populate, only a small box at top left with an x in it. right clicking box does not open it. Has anyone seen this problem or know of a solution? Using XP SP3 with all updates.

Hey Chief,

In your first post you referred to tabs in your browser and out of habit I immediately thought firefox but you saying "favorites" is an IE/Windows reference...I browsed the whole thread and might have missed it.

If I used IE, I would most likely try to reinstall it given that it can't seem to find the favorites folder.

It could be and most likely is a missing registry entry that would something like that...the reinstall might fix it.

Or I could know nothing...lol

edit: you might want to confirm the "favorites" is where it should be (C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Favorites)

Edited by tictoc5150
I am running MS XPsp3 on a Compaq M2000 Laptop, w/AMD sempron LV , 40 GB hard drive with 25.9 free space, 224 MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM,ATI Radeon Xpress 200M Video Adapter. I have recently noticed that pages are slow to load and very slow to close pages(tabs). When surfing I will quite often have 3-4 tabs open. Tabs used to snap closed and now are very slow to close. I just ran an ESET online scanner and it found nothing. I run Superanti Spyware and Malwarebytes anti Malware. I have Spyware Blaster running and Win Patrol. I use Avast anti Virus program. Can anyone give me some advice about getting some of my speed loading and closing back? I also run CCleaner regularlly.

Chief

Chief,

Usually a problem has many different problems.

If you're experiencing surfing problems I'd consider running a malware scan before anything, but as you already have some pretty good programs running first I want to make sure that Malwarebytes is updated. If so then ignore this step.

Second, what connection is your internet speed? Has your computer always been like this or has it happened recently?

If you could, could you close all programs open, Press Control + Alt + Delete.

Then your task manager should pop up.

Click the processes tab.

Then click the mem usage tab to order your processes by mem usage. Type in the first 10 processes with the largest memory usage along with their mem usage each program is using.

I agree with the others, this sounds like a ram problem as you only have 256 to start with. I'm thinking that you have extra programs in the background that are unneeded but are still running. Personally I also think you might have too many security items running in the background. Not that I'm discouraging security, but if you only have 256 ram you're better off with just avast, and then using malwarebytes on a regular basis.

Hey Guys,

Right now I am on vacation and am on dial up, 46.6 kbps, but at home I am on DSL, but it seems just as fast or slow now.

My process list

iexplore.exe 53696

ashserv,exe 12956

ashwebsy.exe 9448

explorer.exe 7872

taskmgr 5076

svchost.exe 4872

mcsacore.exe 4376

123freesolitaire 4156

msimn.exe 4016

iexplore 3720

ctfmon.exe 1708

and about 12 others, and I will go thru my startup programs and see if I can disable some of them. I read some where the other day that someone, not sure who, said that they didn't think that msconfig should be used to disable startups. And so I had not gone there.