Finally Back...

Hey everyone who decides to read this....

This has been the Month from HELL as far as my computer is concerned.

I'm sure in the past week I have seen every error that Setup can throw at me, fresh installs that BSOD after the first start....constantly, normally OK installs that are now unbootable, copy file errors during installs.....and much, MUCH more!!!

I finally have a copy of XP Home thats semi-usable, it's still buggy but at least I can try to troubleshoot the "Unknown Device Driver" errors that have been plauging me again. My once working Pro install will now not make it past the Windows screen after many attempts at Repair installs....(Damn you MS!!!)

I have reinstalled an OS at least 50+ times in just the last 4 days and this is the first one I have gotten working for more than one bootup and I have had to restart this infernal machine after errors at least 300 or more times!!

I feel like smashing it to bits with a BIG hammer and burning the remnants.

I would build a new machine if I could afford it right now but thats not gonna happen any time soon. This one is only 3 years old anyway so WTF!!!

Sorry, needed to vent a bit (read ALLOT)

Damned Computers.....

Dave

Hey I knew a Chappy before...kinda looks like you. LOL

Welcome back. I believe we all know a bit how you feel. $h!+ happens to the best.

Let us know if we can help in any way.

I don't know diddly about BSOD but I'll do my best. Google is my friend.

M

Hello Chappy,

I am so sorry you are having so much trouble with your computer. I sure hope and pray that you get it to work right for you soon.

All I can offer is my prayers for you to be able to get it solved. I don't know enough about these infernally complicated machines and operating systems to even know where to start to trouble shoot them.

As for venting, that is just fine with us. We are all family here, so feel free to express the stress.

Do keep us posted on what you do to solve it. And what happened just before it went berserk on you, so maybe we can avoid doing the same thing.

I keep saying Windows should come with a panic button program to vent our rage out on, but that wouldn't do much good if you can't get to it.

Take care friend, don't let yourself get so tired and stressed about this that you get sick. We care and want you to take care of yourself. Eat, rest, then put on the steel toe shoes before kicking that contrary machine to the moon. Don't want you to get any broken toes now!!! As for hitting it with a big sledge hammer, remember the safety glasses first. And don't forget that burning the remains would be toxic pollution to your system. Gee that makes me wonder... how do they get rid of these things? Maybe there are secret voyages to the moon to dump them that we don't know about? Maybe the aliens know where the computer dump is and are up there struggling to get Windows to load, and do the updates, so they can invade us via the internet? Ah but then we can thank Microsoft for the BSOD, in saving us from alien invasions???

Anyhow I hope that this will give you a bit of a laugh to help you feel better.

God bless everyone.

Sorry to hear about your trouble with your computer. I hope you get it up and running soon.

I wish I could help you, but not that knowledgeable about the problem you are having. Still at the learning stage. Feel free to vent as much as you want. We have all been in a situation where we would like to throw our computer up againt the wall and wish it well, then we come to our senses and end up fixing it. Hopefully you will fix yours.

Barb :(

Welcome Back Chappy.....

Sorry to hear about your troubles. But it just goes to show that no matter how good someone is with PCs, You can still come across one that gives even the best a hard time. One never knows when it will decide to give us trouble. Good luck getting all the snags worked out.

Back again....for now

Jeez, I've never had a computer just act up like this one is doing!!

I have seen just about everything it can throw at me I believe. If the errors and BSOD's were at least consistent then I'ld have a starting point to go from but it's different almost every time. The only constant I've seen is once I get an install to take and then boot and load stable, I have problems with the display adaptor drivers.

But when I try to get a new driver for it, it has been corrupting the entire install and it again becomes unbootable even to Safe Mode!!

Two days ago I had what I believed was a stable install going, had my firewall and AV installed, Eudora was up, and it had rebooted everytime it needed to to apply these things. Then I went to WU to get all my SP2 stuff...it d'loaded and installed %90 of them then crashed.

On restart I got a BSOD stating that the registry file and it's backup and log was corrupted or unwritable and was unusable....another one bites the dust!

I've dona allot of this "Fixing" computer crap but I have NEVER seen one act like this one has. I am about to restart after getting SP2 for this Home install ( my Pro with SP2 slipstream will not install now...), so if I'm not back in two days....you'll know why.

BTW tg1911....Drag & Drop sounds good but Crash & Burn seems to be the Flavor of the Month. ;)

Dave FBB (Frustrated Beyond Belief)

hi chappy welcome.the advantage you have you know so much about compts .

that it wont be any problem to you

god ide love to have your knowledge.

but you do pass it on to us mugs.

as a side note, you are canadian arnt you. well

next year the world indigenous diabetes conference is held in Edmonton.

im not even sure it you spell it like that.how ever im part of that contingent

and im looking forward to it .

so any info about edmonton would be welcome.

you take care my friend.

linux sent me 10 disks of an OS CALLED UBUNTU.

and it is free they will post it to you.

i havent got to grips with it yet .

but if you want these install disks i will post it to you.

lm

i have email address i can contact in canada

lm

marty

If the errors and BSOD's were at least consistent then I'ld have a starting point to go from but it's different almost every time.

Hi Chappy,

This line gave me flashbacks, I just did a rebuild a little while back that was a total pain in the @$$ for that reason, I'm sure you've probably considered it already but in my case it was an IDE controller going bad...new motherboard=problem solved

The Saga Continues....

Well, I HAD a stable install of Home up & running until SP2 again....it crashed while configuring it and corrupted the entire install once more. It actually booted tho and said that the SP2 install was unsuccesful and needed to be removed, which I did...and all hell broke loose once more. I was able to boot Safe Mode and tried a System Restore to the point just before SP2 install and it said it was succesful but upon reboot everything started to be very unstable and eventually just crapped out again...not even safe mode was bootable.

So..after a few more unsuccesful attemtps to reinstall the OS I decided to try my Pro again and it installed (finally..). Seems stable so far but I'm d'loading SP2 once more so I'm not holding my breath that this install is going to last.

Hey tictoc....I did get a Setup error that stated it was unable to load device IDE[port0 once, and I was thinking the very same thing before this, so it just may be a wonky IDE controller among other things.

Well, SP2 is ready to install so cross your fingers for me

Dave

Well it's all going to Sh(insert an i here)T again..

Bloody thing anyway!!

Now I'm getting consistent "Such & Such has encountered a problem and needs to close" errors....Explorer, Sygate, DrWatson, SMC...on & on.

My AV will not keep it's AutoProtect setting, I have to reset it everytime this damned thing needs to shut down after the errors or it just bloody well freezes up...(insert some ((all)) MAJOR swear words here...)

I know with perseverance, prayers from you folks, and ten pounds of C4, I can get this fixed...one way or the other!! Damn I wish I had some spare coinage so I could build a new box.

(insert my foot in PC tower here..)

(insert condolences for Chappy here after he electrocutes hisself with foot in PC)

Note: ALWAYS unplug PC before inserting foot forcefully!

Dave (the Human error magnet)